Author Topic: Tastecard  (Read 4236 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Tastecard
« on: 13 July, 2011, 11:52:32 am »
Moneysavingexpert has just put me onto a free 3 month trial for a thing called Tastecard.  It's a discount card scheme that gives 50% off or 2for1 at loads of chain restaurants (Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge, Strada, Zizzi, that sort of place) and usually costs seventy quid a year.

Restaurant vouchers: 2for1 deals for eat-in or takeaway

I've signed up for one - if it gets me one cheap dinner, it's worth it  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Tastecard
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
We've been offered it at £30 a year through our employer, but I couldn't see the point - I can get the same offers for no cost if I use Vouchercloud or any online voucher website.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »
Yeah, I'd not pay for it either.  But any excuse for a half price dirty pizza...  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:48:07 am »
Emily and I have one of these cards - it is definitely worth it if you like eating out.

New restaurants to try each month, seeking out random places - its good stuff and way more than just pizza.

Nom nom nom
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »
We use mine loads, it's paid for itself several times over (got cheap through work), and it's not just chain/pizza restaurants; we often seek out more independent places that aren't on the voucher websites.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »
Another web-site worth visiting is Top Table.  You can get some very good deals...

...and it's free  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2012, 04:46:05 pm »
We're being offered the Tastecard through work for £30. I was wondering if it was worth it, so I thought I'd consult the Oracle... How did I know there would already be a thread on this subject? ;D

A couple of questions...

Do I understand it correctly - the card is valid at all branches of Ask, Cafe Rouge, GBK, Pizza Ezpress, Zizzi and Prezzo? (We use those kind of places at least a couple of times a year, so the card would definitely pay for itself.)

And are there any restrictions on when you can use it?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »
If you shop regularly at the evil imperialist retailer Tesco, then you can use their clubcard points to get "free" meals at pretty much all those establishments. £10 in tokens = £40 of spend on meals.
Owner of a languishing Langster

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »
You have to spend £1000 in Tesco to get that much in vouchers. Which I'm sure we very probably do over the course of a year (though Sainsbury's and Waitrose are the supermarkets we use most) but it wouldn't really be a practical way to achieve the goal of cheap meals in Pizza Express. YMMV.

I like the idea of the Tastecard because of the convenience of having it available whenever you need it - we tend to eat in those kind of places on a whim, for convenience/necessity rather than as a planned outing.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2012, 12:12:48 am »
We have one too (Paid) unlike the voucher sites, you don't have to go searching for a voucher, pretty much works all the time.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2018, 12:43:48 pm »
Thread resurrection alert.

Just got TC for a year 'free' as membership of summat else.  So I now have the app...  Anyone still use TC?  I notice quite few restaurants need to be 'called' presumably to check what exactly they'll offer.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2018, 07:54:57 pm »
My bank sends me a Tastecard every year.

I might have used it twice in the last 5 years.

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2018, 08:11:31 pm »
I have one. Most of the restaurants participating are of the shite variety like Pizza Express and Frankie and Bennys. 50% off makes Pizza Express just about ok.

Occasionally you happen upon a decent independent restaurant, but to be honest they always seem a little pissed off when I use it  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:51:51 am »
I have one. Most of the restaurants participating are of the shite variety like Pizza Express and Frankie and Bennys. 50% off makes Pizza Express just about ok.

Occasionally you happen upon a decent independent restaurant, but to be honest they always seem a little pissed off when I use it  ;D

I did wonder whether there might be an element of 'go on then if you must use it...', as I suppose the restaurant has to claim the money back. Have been looking for 50% deals so I can use it for 3/4 people.  App seems to work quite well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »

I did wonder whether there might be an element of 'go on then if you must use it...', as I suppose the restaurant has to claim the money back. Have been looking for 50% deals so I can use it for 3/4 people.  App seems to work quite well.

I should avoid attempting to use it when three dine together as some people are strict about the 'two for the price of one' idea and you might only get three for the price of two.

« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2018, 03:53:05 pm »
Something to be wary of.  There are quite a few restaurants that state 50%, and either a max number of diners or 'Call' (or both).  I would ring and check.

There must be some 'hassle' factor for the restaurant, because some places e.g. don't acept te TC at weekends or the whole of December.  I wonder if they take a 'hit', to be part of the TC scheme, or per use of the card.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:59:31 pm »
I had one for over 5 years and never used it at all.