Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162831 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #150 on: 18 August, 2008, 05:34:41 pm »
Fixed my bottom bracket and also added this ( but removed and cleaned chain and forgot to get another 10sp powerlink so can't ride it  ::-) )

also put my raceblades back on because the weather is so sh*te and added a reflective logo front & rear

chavtastic
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #151 on: 18 August, 2008, 08:52:19 pm »
Put my new ultra pimpy TiN Gold chain on Gen.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #152 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:36:53 pm »
Re-seated cassette with a bed of lithium grease on the Hope3 hub.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #153 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »
The Sturmey hub wouldn't get "normal" gear on its test ride, so I had another go at the RH cone adjustment.  It seems fine now, with nice wide sweet spots for each gear, at least in the truing stand.

If the RH cone is a bit too far along the axle, it can interfere with the action of the dog clutch.  It has to be screwed in then backed off by half a turn and locked there (the bearings are then adjusted at the LH cone).

These new hubs are really very simple inside - planet cage assembly, gear ring, axle with sun gear, clutch key (which is what the indicator spindle/chain screws into), clutch and driver.  An old AW had a more complicated clutch assembly, and the pawl springs were apparently a PITA to fit - the new ones are simple.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #154 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:52:26 am »
had a great evening fettling last night, I managed two new jobs to me - new bottom bracket and a new headset and fixed the gears on carbon bike which had drifted out of indexing.

The bottom bracket swap went well, the old one came out much easier than the last one I tried (and failed) to get out, the headset needed more brute force than I expected to get in but it feels tight enough and smooth enough, so will try it out later!

« Reply #155 on: 23 August, 2008, 07:43:35 pm »
I have been suffering with a very annoying squeak on the MonstaThorn of late.  Today I took out the new bottom bracket and reseated it along with copious lube.  I took apart the Tiagra chainset and put it back together with copious lube.  I then went for a ride and it still squeaked.
I then put the old Scirocco wheel on the back with this cassette and it didn't squeak.
The wheel it must be.
I then took the hub apart and put it back together with copious lube.
Not ridden yet as it was tea time.
I think it is the spokes - they need tightening.
It can't be anything else as I've eliminated the rest.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #156 on: 24 August, 2008, 06:53:48 pm »
Serviced some pedals and put them on my old MTB. The old pedals came off easily after 20 years with no TLC. Maybe it was the W40 that my father put on earlier...

Then noticed that the font wheel was wobbling so stripped it down and re-greased the bearings. Then sorted the brakes.

I'll find out how effective it all was tomorrow :-/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #157 on: 24 August, 2008, 07:02:32 pm »
Cold-setting a frame with long rulers, fine cotton thread, vernier calipers and a lot of brute force  :o

It's good now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #158 on: 24 August, 2008, 07:26:33 pm »
Fixed a young lads grazed knee, who had decided he wanted to investigate how sharp a corner he could turn.

...and a tight link on my own bike needed a bit of wrigglery.

« Reply #159 on: 24 August, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »
Swapped the axles on my Goldtec hub, re-trued my front wheel.

Then I tried to decide if the bearings on my Mavic Aksium were a bit slack... Sod it, I just tightened the QR.

« Reply #160 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:27:27 pm »
Changed the oil in the Nomad's Rohloff, moved the eccentric a bit to tighten up the slack chain, cleaned the chain in white spirit and put it back on.  :thumbsup:

The blue Orbit is more problematic.  I bought new tyres for it and when I came to fit them had to "quick release" the brakes.

I've got Magura hydraulics on this bike. One side of each brake locks to an "hourglass" cantiliver bolt by way of a cam lever. This means that when you want to remove a wheel without deflating the tyre you flip the lever and slide the brake assembly off.  Usually works well.

This time it wouldn't come off. After undoing the bolt it looks like the head had deformed, stopping the cam action from working.  No spares so I'll need to order some.  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Chris S

« Reply #161 on: 25 August, 2008, 09:42:30 am »
Gah! Today I will mostly be fettling our plumbing and doing lots of mopping  >:(

For a few weeks now, our hot water has been running out quite soon after the boiler has heated it up. I thought perhaps someone had a shower fetish, but no - it turns out the hot water hose behind the washing machine has split, and has quietly been dripping into the sub-floor of the utility room.

We only felt compelled to investigate when the utility room started to smell like a swamp  :sick:.

« Reply #162 on: 25 August, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »
cleaned sheep poo off my bottom bracket.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Jacomus

« Reply #163 on: 25 August, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »
Cleaned Gen, Emily cleaned Tweeny

Put my bosses hand-me-down Bonty Race Lites on Emily's bike (Tweeny)

Fettled Gen's brakes, plus dug out an Alu shard from the front righ pad.

Re-routed Tweeny's rear brake cable so that Emily can now turn the bike to the right without putting the rear brake on.

Fitted my old Look Keo Sprints to Tweeny and got Emily pedalling up and down the road in her b'day present shoes  :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

alan

« Reply #164 on: 25 August, 2008, 06:40:30 pm »
Yesterday I removed the 17t sprocket from the Langster & fitted an 18t sprocket to give a 63" gear.Ideal for the flat roads around Mildenhall Rally site.
Thanks to Chris N for showing a neat way to use the chain to remove the sprocket.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #165 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:16:02 pm »
I have cleaned all the muck off the Thorn's chain, chain ring and sprocket.

I've done almost 6000 miles on this chain. There's no derailleur to cause lateral wear. I'm wondering how long should I leave it before putting a new chain on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #166 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:29:27 pm »
I've just put a new bottom bracket in the Yukon. This was after a full dismantle and the most thorough clean the bike has had since new, including things like a full derailleur strip down. (Well OK I took the jockey wheels off).

It's a very light frame with nothing on it  :)

By the standards I'm used to anyway.

Jacomus

« Reply #167 on: 27 August, 2008, 08:46:39 pm »
New cleats on the road shoes  :thumbsup:

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #168 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:05:33 pm »
Finally I've started on the bike I should have finished in may  :-[
Headset and bottom bracket installed
Crankset and rear derailleur mounted.

I have  to put a (old) HATTA  headset on Pinky too.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #169 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:26:22 pm »
Refitted the crank on my MTB that fell off on yesterday's ride (did the last 2 miles one legged) plus a new bottom bracket - the biggest job I've done so far :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:35:56 am »
Spend some time in the garage last night fettling the Yuba Mundo.  Put the original chainset and chain guard back on with new pedals and played around with the gears.  The wheel rims are really heavy duty, but the front wheel wasn't 100% true, so I gave it a tweak.

Also, the bit where the rim joins together on the front rim had a pronounced ridge which was making braking a bit juddery, so I gently ground the rim smooth with a flappy sandpaper doofer in my drill.  It's smoother than a cashmere codpiece now.

Now all I have to do is figure out what I'm going to do by way of luggage boxes on it.  Oh - and fit a rear light bracket.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #171 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:38:50 am »
Am re-battenting and tiling the roof of our barn.  Unfortunately I will also be doing the same tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow..

So I might just take the afternoon off and go for a bike ride. 8)
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #172 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:39:17 am »
It's smoother than a cashmere codpiece now.

I must get one of those...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #173 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:58:02 am »
I've done almost 6000 miles on this chain. There's no derailleur to cause lateral wear. I'm wondering how long should I leave it before putting a new chain on.

On gears, I'm getting sometimes only 2000 miles per chain, before the Park Tools CC-3 says "0.75". Beyond which the rings and cassette get too worn. But without gears, your cogs don't need so many ££ for replacement, I suppose, so you can wear them for longer anyway? Sorry, not really relevant!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #174 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
Swapped the axles on my Goldtec hub, re-trued my front wheel.

But but, it was your back wheel that was out of true (and missing a spoke!) :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State