Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163074 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #400 on: 14 February, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »
Proof rided (rode?) my new B17 (Chain Reaction's 'instant free delivery :thumbsup:) and fitted it to my Ribble to start teh breaking in process

« Reply #401 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:45:09 pm »
replaced two broken spokes and fitted an SQR uplift, removed a rack, and fitted a couple of Cateye light brackets to the seat stays. Then fitted a 9 speed cassette to a spare wheel.
Then fitted some Schaller strap locks to my guitar and contemplated fitting some butteffly bars to my MTB, removing the suspension forks and fitting cro mo forks, fitting a new saddle and rack and turning it into a tourer.

Decided that I need another cone spanner as one has gone walkies and I canrt find it anywhere, no doubt it'll turn up as soon as I buy another ::-)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #402 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:34:56 pm »
Started work on building up my Hewitt.  Still waiting for the new chainset to arrive and need to order a few small parts that the LBS couldn't supply. But, she now looks like a bike, so hopefully, will be on the road by this time next week.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #403 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:44:05 pm »
Fixed a damn puncture - 6 miles from home, the first time I've had to fix away from home in nearly 3 years.

Result of crap stock tyres on the new steed.

Will be buying marathon supremes later.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #404 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
Put the new chain tube on the trike, and a series of greasy fingerprints on the kitchen floor :-[
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #405 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:49:04 pm »
In honour of the thread starter I will return the thread to non-cycling, as it started.

I also have a plumbing problem. A tap that I tried, but failed, to replace the washer on. Now it is dripping more...
It is simpler than it looks.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #406 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:34:38 pm »
Just fixed my washing machine. It was the door latch interlock thingy. Cost all of £8.70 for a new one off the 'bay.

My first major domestic appliance repair ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

alan

« Reply #407 on: 15 February, 2009, 12:46:10 pm »
The rack-mounted rear light on the Longstaff.Changed the batteries & still no joy.Removed it from the rack:it's bolted on & is so fiddly it needs a small ratchet socket-spanner with a universal joint extension bar to do the necessary: with the intention of taking it back to LBS for exchange.As I was putting the original batteries back in the damned thing started flashing  :o
I left the light on while I refitted it to the rack & did several on/off cycles.It now works.
It wouldn't work last night when needed to ride in the dark: now I don't need it,
it works.

Don't you wish that all things in life were as reliable as Murphy's Law ::-)

« Reply #408 on: 15 February, 2009, 02:06:00 pm »
I replaced the jockey wheels on the MonstaThorn and also tightened the front deraileur cable.
The bolt had worn drastically and was no longer remaining tight so I went and found an old knackered deraileur and took the parts I needed from that.  Sweet use of old junk saves the day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #409 on: 15 February, 2009, 05:07:14 pm »
Fettled a tandem almost successfully.  Twould have been a good idea to have checked the front mech before venturing out on an uphill bridleway, worrying about my inability to spin what I thought was the granny ring :-[

A bit of working it got it free. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #410 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »
Fitted a bottom bracket and chainset to touring bike and re-cabled and bar-taped the carbon bike for sale.  My best ever bar-taping, I think it's my least favourite (and worst) job. Looks quite good, though I say so myself.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #411 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:22:47 pm »
I gave my commuting fixie a perfunctory wipe over with a dirty rag and put some air in his tyres.

Then Liz and I thoroughly cleaned Josephine the tandem, paying particular attention to her oily bits. 

She's a right classy burd is our Josephine  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #412 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »
I wiped the oil off the rear wheel of my commuting bike.  Spoke nipples never seize on Sturmey-Archer wheels.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #413 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:28:50 pm »
No fettling today but yesterday I chopped the dodgy seat collar off a Dawes SS dutch bike from centerparks, filed it flat and fitted a removable one, then popped a front guard on it - oh I put a new set of V's on the front as well.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #414 on: 15 February, 2009, 11:58:27 pm »
I cleaned Fred after yesterdays run. It is amazing just how much grass and oily much one can pick up. Tescos value wipes (100) are really good for that after first attacking with the garden sprayer but are probably not very green.

Then I decided to swap the nokians off the MTB and put non-studded tyres back on. No probs except I then cleaned the rear mech. It had been having issues. XT is great stuff, the ceramic bearing in the jockey wheel was still runnign just fine despite the years of abuse, and the sealed bearing one was getting a wee bit loose. Decided my shifting problems were a knackered chain and cassette.

Then noticed some slop in the hub. The rim should not be moving sideways like that. SO that got stripped down and cleaned. Some brinelling on the non-drive side race but otherwise the LX hub is looking good for it's years of serviceabuse.

There is something satisfying about maintaining quality kit..

So I must buy a new cassette and chain soon, and swap the rim on the front wheel after I have drilled out the valve hole suitably.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

alan

« Reply #415 on: 17 February, 2009, 07:16:30 pm »
I have removed the butterfly bars from Marj's mtb & refitted the original straight bars.
She rapidly decided ( it took about 15 mins.) that the butterfly bars were not to her liking.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #416 on: 18 February, 2009, 11:21:40 am »
I replaced the jockey wheels on the MonstaThorn and also tightened the front deraileur cable.
The bolt had worn drastically and was no longer remaining tight so I went and found an old knackered deraileur and took the parts I needed from that.  Sweet use of old junk saves the day.

hmm ... if that bolt and jockey wheel replacement was connected with this "running" repair you may need to see a doctor ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #417 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »
I bought some space on the front drive by digging up the roots of the massive bush I "pruned" on Tuesday. Luckily, the chainsaw I bought helped greatly, otherwise I'd still be out there digging away.

I have significantly reduced the wildlife-friendliness of the place since moving in, so I have to redress that in the back garden somehow.

And I painted the downstairs bog

And I stained the garden gate and posts

(looking forward to the beers in the fridge now)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #418 on: 18 February, 2009, 09:05:53 pm »
Today I have been carving the handle on my new knife.  It's starting to look rather nice -  Fiddleback sycamore, Bloodwood and antler.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #419 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:29:59 pm »
Waddya call those velcro cuffs on a long-sleeved raincoat/jacket that you can tighten around your gloves?  One of those was starting to come adrift from the sleeve of my coat, because it gets quite a lot of force put on it when I do it up. 

30 mins work with needle and thread, and it's all better now.  I think it's a bit late in life to buy/learn-how-to-use a sewing machine.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #420 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »
Waddya call those velcro cuffs on a long-sleeved raincoat/jacket that you can tighten around your gloves? 

Err, velcro cuffs?  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #421 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:25:17 am »
I levelled my saddle and tightened my Bagman.  (Very little) time well spent.
Getting there...

« Reply #422 on: 19 February, 2009, 01:49:25 pm »
On the way in to work I had to stop (i) after 1/6 mile to adjust the front brakes since one block was rubbing slightly (ii) after 1/3 mile to adjust the right hand brake/gear lever which it turned out wasn't tightened quite enough, and (iii) after about 6 miles to tighten up the saddle, which shifted a bit, indicating it also wasn't as tight as it could be.

Not too bad, considering that I only finished things last night sometime after midnight (not the best time to be checking that everything is fully tightened!)

On the way home, I may need to adjust the saddle position slightly, the GPS angle needs to be moved by about 15°, and the lights are likely to need some tweaking (and I may move one of the rears, since I think there is a risk that the pannier is going to knock it off).

When I get home I need to put the end caps onto the bars (not that important, they just cover up the hole and keep the weather out a bit), and cut the cables short and tidy up the ends (I'll probably just solder them up).  The chances are that I'll spot some other items which need doing by then as well!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #423 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:29:28 pm »
Both mine & Mrs. Bs road bikes prepared for a ride tomorrow. Mine hasn't been ridden for over a month, because of illness, & hers for much longer. Tyres like butter, covered in dust (dust!), chain dried out . . . .  dreadful. And mine wasn't much better. :(

Also, went through the spare tubes checking for faults. Had to throw out one I was planning to take tomorrow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #424 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:37:22 pm »
The audax bikes.  Her Brevet needed a real good clean and lube.  Took her over an hour and I had to finish the job!

My Carpe Diem needed a bit of air in the tyres and a bit of lube on the chain as it hasn't been out for months.   I swapped over the Swift for a black B17 Champion with big copper rivets whilst I was at it.  I also turned the bars up very very slightly and brought the saddle forward a tad to ease my occasional back pain.

Oh, and I fettled my Joe Blow too   :thumbsup: