Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134207 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #425 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:43:09 pm »
Myself. I went and got my eyebrows threaded, and I went to the gym.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #426 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:06:06 pm »
I went and picked up some pieces of american ash I'd ordered a week ago and built them into a replacement set of tripod legs.

I've not worked with ash before - it's really rather nice stuff, clean hard edges and a fine grain, quie heavy and (apparently) very good at absorbing vibrations.  I have yet to give this thing proper feet.

« Reply #427 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:10:46 pm »
Having earlier replaced the gear hanger on the Airnimal I decided yesterday the cable also needed doing. Tim at the LBS said the Clarkes kit with 2m of cable would be fine. However the bike requires a full length, 1.9m, outer, and the Clarkes outer was only 1.5m. So back to Tim, who cut a length from his workshop supply. Now it's all fitted and the gears work properly again.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #428 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:20:37 pm »
I've had time to do a bit more work on my new-build Hewitt (bought the frame from club member recently).  I'm just waiting for a few odd little parts to arrive from SJSC - rear brake cable hanger, cable guide and crank bolts from Highpath, and I can finish her.  It may be the weekend, though, with other committments  ???

N

(And the cut finger from the slipped hacksaw whilst trimming a shim is almost healed now  :-[ )
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #429 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »
I've not worked with ash before - it's really rather nice stuff, clean hard edges and a fine grain, quie heavy and (apparently) very good at absorbing vibrations.  I have yet to give this thing proper feet.
Ash has been used for such things as hockey sticks. I remember selling some many years ago (we had to order it in, as we didn't stock "sports quality" ash) to a bloke who was going to use it for that, or a similar, use. A nice feel to it. Lovely wood.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Zoidburg

« Reply #430 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:02:23 pm »
Nothing complicated today, the fixie chain got a proper dose of GT85 and a wipe down and chain stretch was taken up. That was all, the GT85 only experiment is going well, 7 months and the chain still looks new.

« Reply #431 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »
I was ashamed by the state of my bike when I saw the shinyness of others on the ride today, so have cleaned, de-gunked and re-lubed uglybike.  It'll never be the same again and I've probably ruined the value by stripping away the patina, but needs must..

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #432 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:09:25 pm »
I've not worked with ash before - it's ...very good at absorbing vibrations. 
Not sure about that.  It's considered a "tonewood" and is most famously used for the body of the blonde Fender Telecaster guitar because of its resonant qualities.  A lot of mumbo-jumbo is talked about tonewoods giving different sounds, but some woods don't give decent sustain because the vibrations from the bridge are attenuated too quickly.  If you made a guitar body from MDF it probably wouldn't be satisfactory, although people have made "fircasters" from bog standard pine and, apart from problems with its softness (screws pulling out, string ferrules gradually sinking into the wood) they seem to work.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #433 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:11:54 pm »
I was ashamed by the state of my bike when I saw the shinyness of others on the ride today.
You should have looked at mine and that would have saved you an evening cleaning :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #434 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »
Put the lume for the IQ Fly back together and rigged it up to the Schmidt to test it was still working.
I may need it to get to the Cheltenham Flyer and the Wilts White Horses.  It will save using the heavier Lumicycle battery and means my bars will be clearer and therefore more room for the GPS.

alan

« Reply #435 on: 22 February, 2009, 11:48:57 am »
Gave the Longstaff a clean for the first time in over a year :-[.
It must weigh a couple of kg less now judging by the amount of crud on the patio.
Also cut-back the front mudgaurd to dispense with the V-shaped broken bit at the leading edge which was there when I bought it a couple of years ago.
As you can tell, bike maintenance is not something that I do in a hurry

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #436 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:26:40 pm »
After a nice ride in Somerset, took a look at Chuffy's singlespeed with a skipping gear.  Just one.  He'd changed the cog, chainring and chain so not surprisingly it was the tension arm.  After a fiddle, I decided that it was borked in some voodoo way (bent, most likely) so we gave it some google and he's now riding on a Magic Gear that more or less works.  Chain's a bit slack. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #437 on: 25 February, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
Tonight I have fitted a new curtain pole, and new curtains.

Then I have fixed speaker brackets to the wall for my rear surround speakers, and tidied up all the wiring.

I feel justified now in having a beer - hang on.........

Aaahhhhh!

« Reply #438 on: 25 February, 2009, 10:42:19 pm »
Having attached a Madison rack to the Airnimal, I finally got around to sawing off the superfluous pannier bars, filing smooth, and painting black to match.

Zoidburg

« Reply #439 on: 25 February, 2009, 10:46:18 pm »
Today I pulled an old school rigid claude butler MTB out of the pile, the frame was sound and BB but the rustless spokes and the rear mech had perished. Newish mech, dug out some better wheels, put on some NOS cantis on it and cut some new cable for them. The cassette was dirty so I stripped it and cleaned it and refitted it.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #440 on: 25 February, 2009, 11:07:50 pm »
Not strictly fettling but....

Got Jackie-next-door's car out of the hole in our front garden that is goung to be a parking spot. She'd managed to reverse off the edge of the drive. Oops. The construction of ramp/stairway out of several chunks of timber, a few bricks and a broken paving slab soon had the car out.

However, in dong so, I wound down the (electric) front window. "Ooh" she said "You managed to get the window working." Except I didn't know it was busted. And it then failed to wind back up.  Oops #2. A bit of delving on Teh Interwebs pointed to a likely fault - a broken wire in the door loom.  Poking around in the car confirmed this, so I held the ends together to get the window back up. Proper repair can follow in due course. She thought I was wonderful.

And then I replaced the rear brake cable and handlebar tape on my Mercian.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #441 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:10:41 am »
Installed my new Polar computer onto the MonstaThorn.  Took me a while to figure out all the different displays.  Looking forward to a raft of information this morning from my Tour de Commute  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #442 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:20:11 am »
Put new brake blocks on the Orbit.  Nice smooth quiet braking again. :thumbsup:

I see from my riding position on hte way to work that I have been a bit overenthusiastic with the toeing in on one side :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #443 on: 26 February, 2009, 01:14:03 pm »
Booked the bike into the LBS to get the new handlebars/brakes fitted. I'll do the first bit myself but I'd prefer it if they do the brake cables and handlebar tape. Both of these are easier for them to do than me as they have stocks of inners and outers to cut to length, and every time I do bar tape it looks good for about a week before it disintegrates.

Geared commute for me on Monday then (with post-Audax legs).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #444 on: 26 February, 2009, 02:48:57 pm »
I just dismantled my work PC, cleaned dust out of the CPU fan and heatsink, and found out that the power supply fan isn't turning.  After some fiddling, and lubricating, the bearing is more or less siezed, so I'm trying to put an order into RS for a new fan.  Our internal financial system isn't helping me with this though. >:(

This post coming to you courtesy of one of the lab machines...
Actually, it is rocket science.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #445 on: 26 February, 2009, 02:56:07 pm »
20 bikes in 4 hours mainly adjusted brakes, indexed gears, tighten headset, pumped tyres. Also fitted 2 new brake cable, 2 sets of brake blocks, fixed 2 p*nct*res and then the odd bits.

not bad for one bloke :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #446 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:30:04 pm »
Not bad at all, but I suppose these were machines that kids turned up on expecting to ride?  Terrible shame that they don't know the basics about/don't care about looking after their bikes... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #447 on: 26 February, 2009, 04:13:22 pm »
I've just made a bracket to fit a light to my speargun, go on fish make my day night :demon:

Zoidburg

« Reply #448 on: 26 February, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »
I've just made a bracket to fit a light to my speargun, go on fish make my day night :demon:
Do this fish shoot back or something?

;)

« Reply #449 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:24:23 pm »
I came across an old Campag Pump Adaptor from the 70s and thought I'd give it a clean up service to add a bit of retro.