Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164151 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #450 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »
Got the MTB out for the first time in months. Gears sticking, tyres soft. Pumped up & oiled - did 17 miles, but the gears need more work. Proper cleaning, for a start.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #451 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »
Installed Polar Cadence onto MonstaThorn and completed OwnIndex fitness test.  49 - Very Good !!  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #452 on: 28 February, 2009, 12:42:28 pm »
As Mrs. TKP is away this weekend I took the opportunity to service the headset on her Longstaff (purveyors of innuendo form an orderly queue) and replaced the bar tape with Fizik stuff, complete with gel underlay. The most satisfying part of the job was being able to clean all those little nooks and crannies that can't normally be accessed.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #453 on: 28 February, 2009, 06:10:56 pm »
A friend rode over (12 miles or so) for me to tune his bike up for the current season. It is a Boardman Team. We pumped his tyres up, tweaked the brakes to balance properly, checked the wheels for true.

Then sorted the gears. They were adjusted one click out so wouldn't quite go into the big sprocket but everything else worked fine. This is an easy mistake to make with STIs. Quick twiddle of the adjuster and they work wonderfully.

We also put the bars down, which he found much better.

I had a shot as he  is the same size as me. The bike rides really nicely. I could instantly ride it hands off up hill with no worries - very definite, comfortable ride. Perfect Sportif bike. If the team carbon is the same geometry then it is definitely on the list of possibles.

This evening I will be fettling cake for the reliability ride tomorrow.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

alan

« Reply #454 on: 28 February, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »
As Mrs. TKP is away this weekend I took the opportunity to service the headset on her Longstaff (purveyors of innuendo form an orderly queue) and replaced the bar tape with Fizik stuff, complete with gel underlay. The most satisfying part of the job was being able to clean all those little nooks and crannies that can't normally be accessed.

Your cup will overfloweth with brownie-points :thumbsup:

« Reply #455 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:39:13 pm »
Very chuffed with my new aircraft caricature prints, which I've actually got around to framing (well, two of them, two more to do).

Click image for bigness
Actually, it is rocket science.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #456 on: 01 March, 2009, 01:18:26 pm »
Finished my Hewitt and had a quick run out last night through the lanes.  A few tweaks needed, but everything seems good  :)

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

alan

« Reply #457 on: 01 March, 2009, 02:35:46 pm »
Two back lawns & the front lawn had their first cut of the year so that'l be called turf-fettling then eh?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #458 on: 01 March, 2009, 06:57:19 pm »
I have been meaning to do something about the lack of clearance on the front mudguard with winter tyres on the bike. It is so tight that mud and grit get caught and build up under the fork crown. I was all prepared to cut the front of the mudguard off and improvise a DIY mount for the rear half but when I took a closer look there was about one eighth of an inch of space between the mudguard and the brake callipers. So off with the offending article and a quick hacksaw job on the mounting bracket and hey presto, clearance. A short ride this afternoon saw me positively looking for mud and grit but nothing got stuck. It's really nice not to be adding to the effort by having a pound of mud wedged under the mudguard acting like a permanent brake.  :thumbsup:

Now why the hell did I not do that two months ago.  ::-)

Zoidburg

« Reply #459 on: 01 March, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
Didnt fettle a single damnf thing, a solid week of fettling has left bike oil ingrained under my finger nails and tattoed into the skin on my fingers. It takes forever to get it out again with a nail brush. So no fettling today for me.

David Martin

« Reply #460 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:28:16 am »
Replaced the front mudgurd on the winter bike. Tried a 9 speed shimano wheel in  9 speed campag setup.. interesting and probably workable. I have a wheel to rebuild with a shimano hub.

Swapped the rim on the MTB front wheel. This took a good bit of faffing whilst watching the escape from teh city about a chap starting a croft in Applecross.

..d

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #461 on: 02 March, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »
Fitted mudguards to my MTB / road hack.  The creative use of cable ties was required as the bike has suspension forks.  Time will tell whether it all holds together.  Hopefully there will now be less cack on me and the bike.  The lanes round this bit of Essex are filthy.

David Martin

« Reply #462 on: 02 March, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »
Fitted mudguards to my MTB / road hack.  The creative use of cable ties was required as the bike has suspension forks.  Time will tell whether it all holds together.  Hopefully there will now be less cack on me and the bike.  The lanes round this bit of Essex are filthy.

rear reflector brackets (the plastic ones that go round the seatpost) make excellent supports for mudguards etc.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #463 on: 02 March, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »
When I found out the rattle was not just the lock at the bottom of my saddlebag banging on the rack, I tightened up the bolts on my rear rack :-[
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #464 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:03:56 pm »
Fettled 3 bikes, sold 3 bikes. Good day bike wise.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #465 on: 03 March, 2009, 03:41:51 pm »
Reset chain tension on fixed gear.

Finally got around to putting some cleats on the moth balled northwave shoes. I found that
a) they are too narrow
b) they are much stiffer than my shimano shoes - probably because they are now falling apart
c) they are impossible to walk in

I hadn't realised quite how bad the shimano shoes had gotten - nor how worn the cleats were either.

I'll have to sell my body in order to fund some new cycling shoes. (My feet are too small for those offered by Lidl/Aldi etc.)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #466 on: 05 March, 2009, 10:09:39 pm »
Had to "fix" a lightbulb today.  My last spare halogen bulb (for a B&M headlight).  Plug it in: nothing.  After much head-scratching, realize that it's just a tiny fraction shorter than the old one, and the rear contact isn't... er... making contact.

Solved with a blob of solder.  Fettling a lightbulb doesn't seem quite right, though.

And now I need to decided whether to order some more spares, or give up on incandescent bike-lighting altogether.  The latter has its attractions.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #467 on: 06 March, 2009, 11:06:19 am »

rear reflector brackets (the plastic ones that go round the seatpost) make excellent supports for mudguards etc.

You sir, are a genius!  I have found just the thing in my box of bits!!!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #468 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »
Tightened bolt on Zoom Magic Stem (just like the Look Ergo Stem except that it is crap).  Now my handlebar doesn't rock or creak as I ride.

Chris S

« Reply #469 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:34:20 pm »
I pumped me tyres up  :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #470 on: 06 March, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
I have fettled the front drive.It is now four feet wider.I have also fettled the front wall which is now four feet shorter.
Also fettled a conifer at the bottom of the lower lawn in the back garden.Reduced from a 6 metre tree to a short stump.The roots will be out of the ground tomorrow.
All this valuable cycling time going to waste :(

David Martin

« Reply #471 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »

You sir, are a genius!  I have found just the thing in my box of bits!!!

Glad to be of service.. The brackets are strong enough to hold front pannier racks as well.

..d

« Reply #472 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »
New pivot nut on front brake to take B&M IQ Fly bracket.  Installed IQ Fly.  Installed new tyre onto dynamo hub rim.  Took play out of fork / headset.  Aligned and checked brakes.  Spray of oil onto chain.  Took play out of bottom bracket and moved spacers about.

Now ready to keep J am MP company tomorrow.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #473 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:19:50 pm »
I've been working on a stud wall as part of a shower room project

« Reply #474 on: 07 March, 2009, 09:08:32 am »
Percussively dismantled a crappy summer house that was formerly a garden "feature" (more estate agent BS!).

About to head round to me brother's place to mix cement all morning.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.