Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161378 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #600 on: 30 April, 2009, 05:55:26 am »
Replaced a broken gear cable and tweaked the indexing of the rear deraileur.

« Reply #601 on: 30 April, 2009, 09:21:25 am »
A friend's laptop was playing possum with a dead jack input.
She'd shopped around and the cheapest quote she'd got for a repair was £69.95.   :o
I told her "You Muppet, I'll be able to fit you a new part." So I got the replacement part
off eBay for £3.99 inc P&P. Then I breathed new life into her laptop.

She's kindly given me a £20.00 'nom nom nom' voucher to use at my local supermarket.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #602 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
Just attempted to fit a second layer of bar tape. Totally f**ked it up and ran out of tape before getting to the end. Split most of it during removal, so there's going to be no second attempt.  :-[

Any offers for one roll of brand new Cinelli cork tape in black?

« Reply #603 on: 02 May, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
Had my first go with a spoke spanner today. My dad wants to borrow a bike to see if he still likes cycling (was in the CTS as a teenager and used to ride 100+ miles a day) Now after his heart bypass he need start getting some exercise. He wants to give it a go before he shells out for a new bike. In my shed there is an old Raleigh with straight bars and 10 speed gears that's been gently rusting since a friend borrowed it and crashed it several times on the way back from teh pub.
The wheels weren't as out of true as I remembered and after reading several web sites on how to true a wheel I gave it a go. Now I have two splendidly round wheels that are no longer jamming on the brake blocks.
Have also dismantled the rear mech and cleaned and greased it along wit the rear brakes. Front wheel, brakes and chain lubing tomorrow.
Wheel truing isn't as terrifying as it appears if you take it nice and slow.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #604 on: 02 May, 2009, 10:13:32 pm »
I fitted the Sturmey AM-in-an-alloy-shell wheel to the Brompton, and also removed all the lighting equipment including the dynohub front wheel.  Replaced the frayed gear cable (my fault) and tweaked the rear wheel's spokes, which weren't quite right.  And then fiddled with the brake pads a bit to ensure they're hitting the rim squarely.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

simonp

« Reply #605 on: 02 May, 2009, 11:18:49 pm »
Fitted two of these to Il Pompino:

Tektro 917.12 V Brake Lead Pipe

Perfect solution to mixing V brakes with road levers.

« Reply #606 on: 03 May, 2009, 10:14:36 am »
Wheel truing isn't as terrifying as it appears if you take it nice and slow.

Shhhh, don't tell everyone.  When I whip out a Spokey and remove some horrible kink from a wheel, it really impresses people that I know the black art of wheel truing! ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #607 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »
Well I attacked the hybrid that Hellymedic gave me.

The bike had been outside for a long time but has lots of good bits and far too good to just dump all the old bits.  I decided to strip the bike, have separated the siezed bottom bracket, stripped the tyres off and I think with a bit of waterproof grease in , the wheels, bottom bracket and headstock will make it a really good bike.  Ok it'll need new tyres, and would be good to give it new gear and brake cables and another seat.

Then it'll be as good as new.

« Reply #608 on: 05 May, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »
Funny, innit. I ride a damp 300 with Hummers and my bottom bracket goes all floppy. I didn't notice, despite cleaning the machine, until the start of the 400 on Saturday. Nevertheless it made it round. So today I popped into Tim's, the LBS, and ask for a long triple, guessing at 122mm. This turns out to be the perfect length. The old axle and two cartridge bearings TA set that I removed is in a woeful state. However, it can be restored with a clean and new bearings. Anyway, a good half hour's work, and my bracket is once more smooth and pert.

« Reply #609 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:30:54 am »
maptrap taken off bike and GPS fitted to the stem.

Bar tape unwound and refitted better (it started falling off mid the last ride  :-[)

old spacebar made of cheese and held together with zipties found in the toolbox and fitted to the handlebars, in the gap made by refitting the bar tape properly.

maptrap fitted to spacebar.  I don't trust GPS.

Gears tuned up.  Last time they were tuned the derailleur was cross threaded in the frame and lop sided.

Limit screw re-adjusted to remove derailleur from spokes.

Noticed that under power the chain lifts off the chainring.  The drivetrain really is knackered.  Somewhere between 12 and 15k miles without maintenance (other than lube) might be too much for a chain?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #610 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:34:11 am »
<Tannoy>

Calling Mr Nutty...

The doctor will see you now.

</Tannoy>
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #611 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:50:31 am »
Well it was a close call between watching Bizarre ER and fettling.

Judging from the disgusted screams from behind the sofa, fettling was the better options (although the commentary of the guy who cut his belly open with an angle grinder did make me wonder whether to get the power tools out)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #612 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:54:13 am »
Well it was a close call between watching Bizarre ER and fettling.

Judging from the disgusted screams from behind the sofa, fettling was the better options

Are you sure they were watching the television and not the fettling? :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #613 on: 06 May, 2009, 03:55:31 pm »
I just put the finishing touch to this abomination

Live!

Live!

Mwuhahahah!

« Reply #614 on: 06 May, 2009, 04:12:47 pm »
On Saturday, I went to he LBS, got some brake cable, went to put it on the road bike so I could raise the stem, and discovered it was the same length as the old bit. :(
Then I found some spare lying around in my toolbox. :)  So I installed new brake cable, and put the handlebar tape on.  Then I raised the bar.  And discovered I couldn't turn right because the gear cables are also too short. :(  So it's raised about half an inch, until I get new gear cables too.

Yesterday evening I got tyres, tubes and brake blocks for the roadster I got from Hellymedic (many thanks again).  I'll fit them on the weekend...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #615 on: 06 May, 2009, 04:15:31 pm »
I got the last bit for the brake cables on Our Kid's BMX.  Bit complex cause it's got a Gyro and I don't know anything about them.

So I got the splitter cable, and slotted it into place

Only to find that the knurled adjuster was missing from one brake lever.

Another trip to the lbs... :-[ ::-)
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #616 on: 06 May, 2009, 04:19:32 pm »
I would bypass the Gyro brake unless they are really going to get used, just run a normal cable down past it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #617 on: 06 May, 2009, 04:30:45 pm »
 :hand: He probably wouldn't ride it if it didn't have it ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #618 on: 06 May, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »
I went on an evening ride yesterday and found my rear rack light wouldn't work, luckily I had a spare seatpost one, today found the contacts were rusty :o so cleaned them off and put a little Vaseline on them works now :)

« Reply #619 on: 06 May, 2009, 08:36:15 pm »
Stronglight CT2 chainring onto the TCR along with a new KMC SL Gold chain and an Ultegra 6600 cassette.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #620 on: 06 May, 2009, 08:56:55 pm »
Well  today I washed the bike i got from hellymedic and then stripped and regreased the wheels, bottom bracket and headstock.  I also installed a new front brake cable, tyres, tubes, fitted another seat and new chain.  I have to replace the front gear cable and work out why the gears don't change.  It either sticky cables or sticky changers, well some gt85 should hopefully sort it.

« Reply #621 on: 06 May, 2009, 09:02:15 pm »
I tried to do some DIY today, mounting an anemometer to the side of the garage (christmas present, 4 months of nagging, dont ask..)

It was going quite well till the coal bunker I was standing on collapsed and I fell three feet down onto the coal, holding the thing up like the statue of liberty.

On the plus side, she's been asking me to get rid of the coal bunker for ages too, so two jobs half done kinda = 1 job done

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #622 on: 07 May, 2009, 10:13:13 pm »
Well  today I washed the bike i got from hellymedic and then stripped and regreased the wheels, bottom bracket and headstock.  I also installed a new front brake cable, tyres, tubes, fitted another seat and new chain.  I have to replace the front gear cable and work out why the gears don't change.  It either sticky cables or sticky changers, well some gt85 should hopefully sort it.

Well a replacement gear cable and stripping the rapid fire changers and cleaning them with a mixture of spray brake cleaner and then contact cleaner.  Then a quick spray with gt85, that freed them up and then adjusted the new cable.

Now to replace the old brake blocks as a quick spin revealed that they are more plastic than rubber.

« Reply #623 on: 10 May, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »
Yesterday, I nipped into the tip to see if I could get a suitable pair of forks for my old bike, but the place has been privatised and the bikes now go straight to scrap :(

Anyway, I went to Egglescliffe and fixed my friend's bike (loose headset), and on the way back I noticed a bike in a ditch which looked a suitable size... well, I had to didn't I?  I hitched it over one shoulder and carried it the 11 miles home. 

Lo and behold, the forks fit!  I now have a working bike cobbled together out of spare bits.

The only problem is that, when I rode it down to the LBS to pick up some bearings for the headset, some thieving little gits nicked my saddle and seat post (I had been meaning to replace the QR skewer anyway).  I had to laugh when I came out the bike shop and saw it - the saddle and seatpost were parts I'd picked up at the tip, which cost me nothing.  The QR is, realistically, worth more than the parts they nicked.  They probably ended up in a bin round the corner.  Riding fixed without a saddle for the mile home wasn't too bad, really.

gordon taylor

« Reply #624 on: 10 May, 2009, 12:41:45 pm »
I've removed the STi levers and fitted bar end gear changers - a fiddly job.

Unfortunately, I didn't fit the brakes before I fitted the levers, so now I need to dismantle it all again.

I'm pathetic, and grumpy.