Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134255 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1050 on: 29 November, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
"Proper" rear mudguard fitted to the commuter. Always a bit of a performance.

Intended to change all bar furniture over to a set of riser bars for a change, but didn't as the mudguard seemed to take forever.

« Reply #1051 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:09:08 pm »
New light bracket on audax bike - bit of ally fabrication so I can have it fit securely below the saddlepack as £20 week in lights due to speedbumps has just started to rack me off! :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1052 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:47:42 pm »
Not so much what I've fettled as what I've unfettled.  Well, Superstoker & I, actually.

A happy and a sad sight both together, really.  We stripped the SuperGalaxy down to send for a respray.  It's a beautiful frame, and I look forward to when we get the Gal back on her wheels and out on the road. :)
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #1053 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:56:39 pm »
Sat drinking coffee as I wrapped a couple of batteries in duct tape to make them completely non rattle when installed in the bar mounted torch.

Doing this in costa coffee may look odd.

« Reply #1054 on: 29 November, 2009, 08:26:38 pm »

Doing this in costa coffee may look odd.

You are right. It would fit right in at a Cafe Nero though.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1055 on: 29 November, 2009, 09:03:01 pm »
Went out and collected the childs mountain bike that I bought on ebay this week. Stripped it down for its donor parts for my winter/spring recumbent project.
Finished the winter overhaul of my Cannondale road bike.Discovered that I'd got several oily black marks on the handlebar tape. Used Vanish Powershot spray carpet cleaner on it, came up good as new  :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1056 on: 30 November, 2009, 12:07:45 pm »
I picked my chain off the cranks and put it back on the chain ring three times this morning. So there will be some wallet torture this afternoon.

« Reply #1057 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:04:39 pm »
Tried to finish my MTB build by setting up the front mech yhat came with the used frame.  The head of one of the limit screws crumbled to fragments. I was able to remove it by gripping with pliers. I found a (longer) bolt that seemed to be the same thread but that's now jammed solid and I can't get it out  >:(         

That reminds me why I bought a Rohloff, I hate derailluers !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1058 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:42:29 am »
Used the early morning daylight to revive Dawes Discovery 101   :sick:.  Fitted ancient pedals recently removed from proper commuting bike and added to pedal-less 101. Added air to tyres and oil to chain ready for use tomorrow.  Then took proper pink white and blue commuting bike to LBS and caught train to work.

« Reply #1059 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:37:21 pm »
Finally solved the problem that has been causing me trouble for the last few days.  Tonight when the gears started making rubbing sounds, and I stopped and experimented with things a bit, I eventually worked out that the bearings in the freehub seemed to have died.  Since none of the other bearings are having any problems, that's a particuarly unimpressive lifetime.

Oh well, at least I know how to deal with things, and an order for a new freehub will go off very shortly.

Once I realised what it was, I was a bit nervous about the bearing really dying, and locking the freehub up, with inevitable consequences if I was caught unawares, so I treated it a bit like an S27X hub, and didn't stop pedalling all the way home, which was a bit knackering.  I don't see the attraction of not being able to freewheel.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1060 on: 04 December, 2009, 11:37:12 pm »
Fettled Sid the Singlespeed back into usability.  Primarily I had to replace the freewheel, chain, and chainring.

Handy hint, when an old freewheel really doesn't want to be drifted off, do not rest the axle on the tiled kitchen floor when hitting it really hard.  You end up with nice holes in your tiles if you do that.  Ah well, I'm not that keen on those tiles anyway. :-\

Pumped up the tyres (they haven't been pumped up for 8 months), adjusted a pannier to fit the rack, and fitted the light mounts.

If I got the ratios right on the chainring, it should work fine in the morning.  If not, it could be hard work on any hills. ;D

« Reply #1061 on: 04 December, 2009, 11:46:31 pm »
when an old freewheel really doesn't want to be drifted off, do not rest the axle on the tiled kitchen floor when hitting it really hard. 

nO - u uZe n ang!l gryNDer

« Reply #1062 on: 05 December, 2009, 12:36:57 am »
Using an angle grinder to remove a freewheel sounds like it would end up with some Nuttyesque injuries, and possibly a destroyed hub. :-\

« Reply #1063 on: 05 December, 2009, 08:44:15 am »
Just fettled a GPS mount onto Sid the Singlespeed for Peli and Woolly's Pootle ride later today.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1064 on: 05 December, 2009, 03:33:52 pm »
I have fettled a new ceiling-mounted light fitting in the dinning room & one in the living room.

Yesrerday I fettled new brake blocks,front & rear, to the tourer

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1065 on: 05 December, 2009, 06:38:36 pm »
I have just fettled my guttering, which has been creating a rather chic waterfall effect.

That's not strictly true.. but how the bleedin 'ell did a tennis ball get up there?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1066 on: 05 December, 2009, 06:48:03 pm »
Twinkle Toes' iPod. The silly sod locked it and couldn't remember the PIN. A bit of web research revealed how to resolve the problem. Steps have been taken so she can't do it again - hopefully.

« Reply #1067 on: 06 December, 2009, 05:17:52 pm »
Stoker's tourer.   With her audax machine currently temporarily out of use she wanted out again today.   Unfortunately that also had a puncture of which I had not been made aware, luckily not fatal.   Glass extracted, tube patched with a Park patch, tyres pumped up and she was off.

Bit of a bugger that puncture - it was through the nice continuous centre of an otherwise almost pristine Marathon HS308.   I'll dab some superglue in the hole when I remember to get some.

« Reply #1068 on: 06 December, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »
New rear brake blocks and cable, Mrs Dan friendly pedals, tweaked gear indexing and sensor/magnet alignment on the mountain / commute bike.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1069 on: 06 December, 2009, 08:04:54 pm »
Finished the rebuild of the shimano dynohub wheel last night.  Put tyre on and fitted on the single speed today.  This was more complicated than you'd think as I managed to kill two tubes with pinch flats fitting the tyre.  All nice now though

goatpebble

« Reply #1070 on: 06 December, 2009, 09:20:49 pm »
Went out for a short and very wet ride, and something evil and sharp attacked my ancient Conti GPs.

I am ashamed at just how long it took me to change a tyre. Luck as been with me for so long that I have forgotten when I last had to do this in extremis.

It's a lot easier when you do it in the warmth and comfort of your sitting room...

:-[

PS. came home, had a nice hot coffee, and played with trued the wheels on the bike I should have gone out on.

Zoidburg

« Reply #1071 on: 06 December, 2009, 09:25:07 pm »
Went out for a short and very wet ride, and something evil and sharp attacked my ancient Conti Gps.

I am ashamed at just how long it took me to change a tyre. Luck as been with me for so long that I have forgotten when I last had to do this in extremis.

It's a lot easier when you do it in the warmth and comfort of your sitting room...

I was struck by this last week as well, two in the space of a sodding mile in the pitch black when it was sleeting.

By the second one I was so cold that I wouldnt have been able to feel my fingers to patch the tube and I had used the good spare tube on the first puncture so I kept pushing it home as quick as I could just to keep warm.

goatpebble

« Reply #1072 on: 06 December, 2009, 09:31:13 pm »
Went out for a short and very wet ride, and something evil and sharp attacked my ancient Conti Gps.

I was struck by this last week as well, two in the space of a sodding mile in the pitch black when it was sleeting.

By the second one I was so cold that I wouldnt have been able to feel my fingers to patch the tube and I had used the good spare tube on the first puncture so I kept pushing it home as quick as I could just to keep warm.

There was a short hail storm just after I arrived home. I missed it, but still felt like a complete and utter numpty.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1073 on: 06 December, 2009, 10:30:12 pm »
I went to swap my brake blocks and found that my rear brakes had reached the end of their life :(

So I swapped on some older ones ;D

From the tandem.

Guess we're committed to having Vs on the refurbed SuperGal tandem now.  PB will be pleased ;D
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1074 on: 06 December, 2009, 11:03:58 pm »
Changed a tube after a visitation and cleaned the rims in an effort to restore braking.