Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167147 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1175 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »
n+1  :demon:

« Reply #1176 on: 18 January, 2010, 07:56:41 am »
Would require n+1 sheds, n+1 gardens and n+1 houses :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1177 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:55:16 am »
Tonight I are be fettling brake blocks for our bikes after the destruction caused by Suffolk, and I'll be bodging my RaceBlades before getting online & ordering a new set.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1178 on: 18 January, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
Would require n+1 sheds, n+1 gardens and n+1 houses :(

And n-1 wives? ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #1179 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
Tonight I have taken the first step on the path to wheelbuilding enlightenment by making a nipple driver à la Roger Musson. It's not perfect but it's OK for a first attempt. I'm not going to make my own truing jig though - might do it one day but it's more faff than I can be arsed with at the moment.

Got a couple of bits and bobs to come in the post, then I can get on with actually building the darn wheel. Might get to actually ride it before summer at this rate.

d.

« Reply #1180 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:33:34 pm »
Tonight I have taken the first step on the path to wheelbuilding enlightenment by making a nipple driver à la Roger Musson. It's not perfect but it's OK for a first attempt. I'm not going to make my own truing jig though - might do it one day but it's more faff than I can be arsed with at the moment.

Got a couple of bits and bobs to come in the post, then I can get on with actually building the darn wheel. Might get to actually ride it before summer at this rate.

d.

Well done that fettler!  If you take your time and follow the Musson guide, you'll make good wheels.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1181 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:30:00 am »
Well, last night really.

Sorted out my back wheel by putting a new tube on.

Repaired the two tubes that had blown up before, one had a massive hole in. I think it's going a bit off, because when I blew it up to check for further holes (there was another one) it had an alarming bulge.

Took the front wheel off to refit the mudguard. Fixed the wire to my dynamo which came off the spade connector when I took the wheel off.

Put the tork quickrelease on the back wheel and took it for a spin on the trainer.

It just needs a good wash now.

« Reply #1182 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:43:47 am »
On the way home last night I had to stop first to fettle the rear brake cable, to compensate for all the wear on the Freeze Your Bits Off camping ride.  A had to stop a second time to fettle the Topeak Bar Xtender, which was helping my front light make a bid for freedom.

The Xtender can support an Exposure Race Maxx, but not indefinitely.  The weight and leverage seems to be too much for it, and eventually it always seems to find a way to work loose.  I wish I could find a long term solution to fitting both the lamp and the bar bag.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1183 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:25:17 pm »
Bought a 3 pack of 3/16 files and sharpened my chainsaw chain today, in the glorious toastiness that is the SICRUT BWNCWR with it's new space heater

« Reply #1184 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:33:04 pm »
Swapped the headset and forks on my Orange: it's now sporting a shiny Tange headset and the original forks, which suit it better than the Kona P2s, and don't have the lawyer lips which I never got around to filing off.  I also fitted it with my dynohub and lights, as I mean to ride a few audaxes on it.

I took it for a quick test ride around the block, and it's a very smoooth ride.

citoyen

« Reply #1185 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
Well done that fettler!  If you take your time and follow the Musson guide, you'll make good wheels.

Thanks for the encouraging noises!  :thumbsup:

The good news is that the rest of the bits arrived in the post today so this evening I have been lacing the wheel. And following the Musson guide, that stage of the operation was remarkably easy. I've even got the hub label aligned with the valve hole!  ;D

Oh yes, and the home-made nipple driver worked a treat.

I shall save the truing part of the job for the weekend when I'm less tired, have more time and better light.

d.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1186 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:15:25 am »
I turned my empty small Oil of Rohloff bottle into a full small Oil of Rohloff bottle. A simple operation for the normal person but this involved me.  So I knocked the small polythene spout off the table and spent fifteen minutes looking for it in morning twilight.

Lunchtime I will oil my chain.

« Reply #1187 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »
Well done that fettler!  If you take your time and follow the Musson guide, you'll make good wheels.

Thanks for the encouraging noises!  :thumbsup:

The good news is that the rest of the bits arrived in the post today so this evening I have been lacing the wheel. And following the Musson guide, that stage of the operation was remarkably easy. I've even got the hub label aligned with the valve hole!  ;D

Oh yes, and the home-made nipple driver worked a treat.

I shall save the truing part of the job for the weekend when I'm less tired, have more time and better light.

d.

Good work.  You're well on the way to earning a blue apron of honour!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1188 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »
The trike.viz...
replaced toe clips & straps with spd's
adjusted the saddle
adjusted both front brakes

much more power through the transmission going uphill via the upstroke & found it beneficial to then adjust the saddle slightly.The brakes were juddering & screeching & not re-centreing properly but now they are spot-on :thumbsup:

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1189 on: 21 January, 2010, 10:04:39 pm »
Fettled the gears on the tandem.   Amazingly, they seem to be working almost as well as when I started, which I tend to consider a huge success when it comes to indexed derailleurs.

Also tightened up the timing chain a bit, so hopefully the Style Police won't be too horrible to us on the Little Willy on Saturday.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1190 on: 21 January, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1191 on: 21 January, 2010, 11:29:46 pm »
I have (are you ready for this...) fitted a brake block to a small person's bike.  No, I didn't forget that these things come in pairs... someone else did the first one, to show me how, then I did the second one (with only one 'grahh!  Butterfingers!  Where'd that ****** washer go?' moment).  Then I asked them to check if I'd done it right, and they said 'bloody hell, did I do that one? [yes, they had] Well, I did a crap job!'

So they told me to redo the one that they'd done and explained what it should end up like and I did and they came back and said it was spot on.  Said small person now has an extremely effective from brake.  I is proud :)

(And yes, I realise that this is "Fettling 101 for utter numpties' but it's my first EVER brake fettled!)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1192 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:32:14 am »
Unscheduled fettling last night.  Fixed Puncture on Rohloff wheel (extra annoying). Decided could make up time by riding back to Bridgend Railway station, but the timetable didn't fit my needs so I got home at 7.40 over an hour late.

« Reply #1193 on: 22 January, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »
After this a.m.s soaking swopped the natty retro 3/4 'grds on the Jamis to full length, wide, modern SKS items.

Looks as if I'll need 'em tomorrow....
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1194 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:40:14 pm »
I have installed Shimano BR-R650 front and rear brakes onto my Enigma Etape.
Ace fit and movement is smooth.
The drop and width of the arms means my mudguards no longer get touched at maximum closure.
This small rubbing was really annoying so to get rid of it is a real boon.  Tis the small things that annoy me most.

The fettling today was really enjoyable as it was done quite quickly without any problems or errors  ;D

« Reply #1195 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:45:36 pm »
I rubbed some mud off my rear wheel, and thought bloody hell my bike is dirty  :o but thought sod it and went out for a ride well there's always tomorrow  ;D

« Reply #1196 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »
The forecast is for a couple of dry days in the coming week so I reckon tomorrow could be a clean the bike day  ;D

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #1197 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:48:55 pm »
I've put the back wheel back on after having a nice new tyre put on by the LBS.

Took them 5 minutes, normally takes me about an hour + swearing  :-[

citoyen

« Reply #1198 on: 23 January, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »
Following Wowbagger's example...

(On One double fixed hub, Rigida Chrina rim, Sapim Race spokes, cheapo 14t fixed sprocket)

Not quite finished yet, but I'm doing it now with the intention of going out for a ride on it tomorrow. Will then probably have to do a bit more work on it tomorrow afternoon when all the spokes start unravelling themselves...

d.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1199 on: 23 January, 2010, 06:31:50 pm »
Cleaned 2 bikes, put some bar gel on the Peregrine and then flushed with success tried to remove a spacer to lower the bars. Bike is now in the LBS for someone to do it properly  ::-)