Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163257 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1625 on: 08 May, 2010, 03:22:31 pm »
VAR - an absolute requirement if you are a Marathon Plus user.

Unless you have thumbs like Guy.

The Gorilla.

« Reply #1626 on: 08 May, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »
Palms and thumbs for M+ tyres.  :thumbsup:
Mmm, banananananas.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1627 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »
New gears, brakes (inc levers for both) & wheels on the Woodrup.  Sadly, gave up trying to remove the chainset after I couldn't shift the bolt.  :(

I want to put a triple on it, so the BB will probably be gone ere long.

I managed to get the road mech to cope with the 48-36 chainset and 12-28 cassette. :thumbsup:

Need new sprockets, but I'm sure I can sort that, now I've got a hub that'll handle a seven.  May go for an 11-28 for a higher top gear...
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1628 on: 10 May, 2010, 02:06:46 am »
The adjustable boom and all things drivetrain-related on the sexy new darkside loveliness, on the basis that if I'm going to muck about with the chain to work out how long it should be, that's easier when said chain is clean.  Obviously this deteriorated into a strip-down and cleaning of the chainset, cassette and rear mech, too.

Also tweaked the front brake which was rubbing a bit; transplanted the Garmin mount and Smart/Ixon-compatible light bracket from the Folding BSO; added some sensible pedals (the old SPD/platform ones Charlotte found for me to ride it home have an interesting 'feature' whereby the serrated platform mates with my shoe in a way that feels remarkably similar to being clipped in, until it really isn't); tightened a couple of mudguard bolts.  There may also have been polishing  ;)

« Reply #1629 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:25:30 am »
Fitted new cassette, gear cables (outer and inner), Brake cables, jockey wheels, bar tape and pedals to son's Fort. Set up gears.  I'm not fond of Campag.  >:(

Trued my front wheel and tightened every spoke; the whole wheel was loose.

Abortive attempt to fit a triple to the Ribble.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1630 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:37:06 pm »
New chain, mudguards and rack on Spesh Tricross fixed. Mmm... toe overlap.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #1631 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:26:47 am »
New 105 brake blocks all round on the blue bike.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #1632 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:43:02 am »
Decided to do something about slipping 4th. on the hack/shopping bike. Cleaned a handful of clag off the transmission to find that chain, ring and block were a little worn. Looked at 4th. sprocket to find that it had become the five-and-12-half-tooth model.
New block, chain, rear mech and v. good 2nd.-hand ring (I hate putting new stuff on this bike, especially as the whole lot cost around 25 quid!).
Haven't tried it on the road yet, but seems OK.
Oh, also did pedals and wheels, so the bike should have a bit less 'drag'.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #1633 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »
fitted new monster chainring to speedyfixie, hoping an 85" gear will help get up and down the '10' faster than my brother (on gears) next week

damn you, alcohol-fuelled bets.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1634 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »
Discovered that the Red Baron is unwell.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #1635 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:19:15 pm »
Continued faffing with mudguards on the Dave Yates.  I'm not sure I can be bothered to trial them tonight, so I might ride it to work tomorrow instead.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1636 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »
After weeks and weeks of waiting for replacement handlebars for the Pino, I learnt today that Hase had sent the wrong bloody ones.

Bum!

However, I have a friend who has not so much a garage but a workshop, as he has a fleet of Landrovers to support. And he haz l33t welding skillz.

So he welded the crack in the old bars.  Hah!

(faint hearted readers worry not - these aren't namby pamby aluminium Stupid Lite handlebars, but gert big steel ones).

I have now deployed the Hammerite can to good effect and will refit the bars on the morrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1637 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »
Modified the wiring of a Speedzone Elite computer mount, so that the cadence sensor emerges from the back of the mount, rather than a bifurcation at the end of the cable.  Contrived a means to fit it to the Streetmachine.  Bemused passing students while measuring the wheel circumference.

Discovered that at least two optical drives don't work (this is normal - I kill optical drives just by looking at them), but managed to persuade the EeePC to boot from a SD card, and installed Ubuntu 10.4.  Really must invest in some USB flash drives in late-noughties sizes, the one I usually use is about 6 years old and too small for the install image.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #1638 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:40:10 am »
New 105 brake blocks all round on the blue bike.

And I am sure that their gentle rubbing on the wheel rims were are contributory factor in my failure to catch the club peloton after I dropped my water bottle last night.  :-\
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1639 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:07:06 am »
Built up a Sturmey-Archer AM medium ratio hub destined for Charlotte's Brompton.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1640 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:15:33 am »
put cranks on, fit gear cables, fit seat and post, fit pedals.

just going to fit brake cables, fit bar tape, adjust everything, check everything again, then go for a pootle to start getting it all just so.

Then I'm going to take pictures

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1641 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:54:08 am »
I've fettled the shed. I now have a new set of large draws for cycling stuff and have labelled the little tiny draws with things like "valve bits", "cable bits" etc. etc. In theory I should now be able to establish much more quickly that I don't have the "bit" that I need to complete the job.  ;D

« Reply #1642 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:55:23 am »
My right knee with ice packs and compression.  :(

« Reply #1643 on: 15 May, 2010, 07:34:15 pm »
Stoker's Brevet has just had a major fettle:

Broken spoke in rear wheel replaced which entailed removing the cassette, full clean of cassette, repair punctured tube, fit new Gatorskin * OUCH - why are they so fucking tight ??? *.

Mechs cleaned and adjusted, new chain, brakes adjusted.

Replacement Spesh Dolce with ti rails fitted and Ortlieb saddle pack with integral light installed.

Now, back to my personal grindstone...

Having fettled Stokers audax machine two week past, it was the turn of mine today.   It has been in hibernation and is expecting a frame transplant but I'm still awaiting a couple of bits before that can go ahead.

Anyhoo, new cassette and chain, brakes adjusted, pedals attached, and, a Vaude bag bought from Sgt. Pluck to replace the naff and nasty Carradice junior.   Tyres inflated, all is ready for a spin in the morning.   8)

« Reply #1644 on: 15 May, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
Took the cranks out and gave the bottom bracket seals a good clean to de-grit them.  Added a bit of lube to make a better seal.  Degreased the cranks fully.  Installed a new chain and rear cassette.  Washed bike too.  Re-tensioned the rear dérailleur.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1645 on: 15 May, 2010, 08:38:21 pm »
Found a broken spoke on my Fixed when I was going out to get the shopping.

Dragged the Dawes Giro out of the shed to find that the chain was seized up. Lack of oil after putting it away wet last year  :-[

A harty dose of WD40 to free up the links, and a splodge of oil on top and it was running again.

Very weird to be riding something with a freewheel again.

« Reply #1646 on: 16 May, 2010, 08:34:50 am »
Repainted an old stone chip on the frame that had started to rust :o  Took all back to bare metal then a couple of coats of Naval Jelly followed by 5 coats of matching Humbrol modelmakers paint.  (I still can't believe how good a match it is!) 
Move Faster and Bake Things

kevinp

« Reply #1647 on: 16 May, 2010, 08:45:06 am »
Bought some new brake cables from Wilkinsons at £1.00 each, they better be worth it ! fitted them to the single speed and it now stops :)

The cables are quite good as they come with a nipple on each end to fit either road or mtb and they feel pretty smooth, damn sight cheaper than £4.99 for one inner from local bike shop.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1648 on: 16 May, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
Repainted an old stone chip on the frame that had started to rust :o  Took all back to bare metal then a couple of coats of Naval Jelly followed by 5 coats of matching Humbrol modelmakers paint.  (I still can't believe how good a match it is!)  

I have that joy always:being colour blind is not altogether a disadvantage ;)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1649 on: 16 May, 2010, 01:24:21 pm »
The brakes on my Peregrine (and I cleaned it :D)