Author Topic: Earning a jersey  (Read 9935 times)

rob

Re: Earning a jersey
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:28:06 am »
It is always fun looking down your nose at other people's choice of 'whatever'.
One of life's simple - and tax-free - pleasures :)

@QG: have you asked the manufacturers? Or the people who sponsor Sagan?

(Do you think they are so stupid that they believe all the shirts leaving the factory are for Sagan's back?)

And presumably they know that Sagan isn't world champion any more ?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:31:52 am »
Football and other sports take it a step further; you wear a shirt not just proclaiming that you are a member of the Manchester Utd first team but that you are in fact Romelu Lukaku or Jesse Lingard! You wouldn't believe the number of people who stop me for signatures or a quick demonstration of 101 keepy-uppies when I'm wearing my Pogba shirt!
Imagine how suprised they are when I sign Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjå!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:33:32 am »

(Do you think they are so stupid that they believe all the shirts leaving the factory are for Sagan's back?)

Ssssshhhh - they won't sell half as many if people are thinking of Valverde!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:36:13 am »

Ssssshhhh - they won't sell half as many if people are thinking of Valverde!

Oh you edited that !

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:21:22 am »
Yeah - just old man's memory. And it didn't seem funny, nor any sort of Freudian slip. May I rot in hell for covering my mistakes!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:40:25 am »

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
the observation about the Rainbow jersey was met with some anger/invective by a rider on my commute - so much so he chose to mention it when he passed me a few nights later. Now when I say passed me, this involves going full bore to get ahead then slowing down to allow me to sit on his wheel until the traffic lights and/or queuing traffic where he takes matters and his life into his own hands!

« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2019, 04:05:22 pm »
I think the OP is being a typical stuck-up cycling snob. It obviously matters to you what people
wear when they're out on their bikes. That's very sad and you should try work yourself out of that
patronising attitude.  ::-)

« Reply #33 on: 20 February, 2019, 04:46:45 pm »
I thought we had got over the Velominati nonsense. I agree with De Sisti when he refers to cycling snobs. Surely all that matters is that people are on their bikes. I really don't care what they are wearing or that they have their glasses outside their helmet straps.

Oh and I use a saddle bag. It's convenient and stops unsightly bulges in my merino jersey. I've got this one - it's lovely: -

https://www.juracycleclothing.co.uk/long-sleeve-cycling-jersey/Rainbow-merino-cycling-jersey
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »
I think De Sisti is possibly being a bit harsh on the OP. Nevertheless, Velominati – clearly nonsense, which some people treat as a joke and some unfortunately take seriously. How its originators meant it, I don't know.

Saddle bags are very convenient and that jersey is lovely. Shame it only has one pocket but I love that it's described as "Performance sportswear for cycling, skiing, golf, riding, hiking". Which reminds me, at the weekend I saw two blokes walk up my street wearing football shirts and shorts, bouncing a ball and covered in mud. But underneath his shorts one of them was wearing Rapha tights!  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #35 on: 20 February, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »
i am puzzled why the world champion stripes are being referred as "rainbow". rainbow has seven (simplified) colours and quite different from the world champion stripe colours, which are the same as olympic rings colours. is it popular to refer to olympic rings as "rainbow rings"?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2019, 09:49:50 am »
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule 16.  Simples.

You see I look at "the rules" from Velominati, and just see gatekeeping bollocks. The sort of judgemental sneering used by existing riders to look down on newbies. I don't know if they were started as a joke that has been massively misconstrued or if the creators are serious, but either way, people use them for gatekeeping, and I *REALLY* fucking hate gatekeeping.

I think the OP is being a typical stuck-up cycling snob. It obviously matters to you what people
wear when they're out on their bikes. That's very sad and you should try work yourself out of that
patronising attitude.  ::-)

I think you massively misunderstand who I am, and what I believe. I believe everyone should be able to cycle, that it doesn't matter what a person wears, that we should be working to improve things for all people on bikes, regardless of background, skill level, race, gender, sexuality, etc... I really fucking hate gatekeeping. If you read many of my posts on this forum you will see that I am angry at the cycle industry for the failure to adequately cater for people who are not Chris Froome, who are not able to get on a bike and spin up a hill with a 53/39, and a 11-28. If you read my blog linked in my signature, you'll see a recent post about the situation with local bike shops and how they can be unwelcoming to minorities. So no, I don't have a fucking patronising attitude, and I find it an insult that you suggest I do.

I started this thread as I was trying to get my head round a contradiction. I really hate it when people judge others for what they wear. "Her skirt was how short?" "Why wasn't she wearing a helmet and hivi?", especially as it is targeted largely at women. This point is made quite nicely by the Australian tv presenter who wore the same suit for months on end, when his female colleague had to wear a different outfit every day. With these values, I an presented with the contradiction, don't judge people on what they wear, however this one item, the rainbow jersey, is an item that you earn the right to wear, that only a small number of people ever earn the right to wear. It is the equivalent of a gold medal from the Olympics. As such, given this, is it right that someone just buys a copy and wears it?

How would people feel if I bought a copy of an Olympic road race gold medal, and cycled round wearing it?

I thought we had got over the Velominati nonsense. I agree with De Sisti when he refers to cycling snobs. Surely all that matters is that people are on their bikes. I really don't care what they are wearing or that they have their glasses outside their helmet straps.

Oh and I use a saddle bag. It's convenient and stops unsightly bulges in my merino jersey. I've got this one - it's lovely: -

https://www.juracycleclothing.co.uk/long-sleeve-cycling-jersey/Rainbow-merino-cycling-jersey

Quite, glasses outside helmet straps just seems like a good way of breaking ones glasses...

Saddlebags are great, mine is 16l, carries all my fears, and doubles as a bit of a mudguard. I also have a frame bag, top tube bag, and 3 feed pouches on the handlebars...

I am not a cycling snob.

I think De Sisti is possibly being a bit harsh on the OP. Nevertheless, Velominati – clearly nonsense, which some people treat as a joke and some unfortunately take seriously. How its originators meant it, I don't know.

Agreed on both points.

Saddle bags are very convenient and that jersey is lovely. Shame it only has one pocket but I love that it's described as "Performance sportswear for cycling, skiing, golf, riding, hiking". Which reminds me, at the weekend I saw two blokes walk up my street wearing football shirts and shorts, bouncing a ball and covered in mud. But underneath his shorts one of them was wearing Rapha tights!  :thumbsup:

So the rainbow jersey that is linked doesn't meet the design requirements of the UCI, it's a jersey with a rainbow on it, rather than the rainbow jersey, so to my eye it's not one you earn. To continue to butcher the analogy, it's a medal, but it's not an Olympic medal...

i am puzzled why the world champion stripes are being referred as "rainbow". rainbow has seven (simplified) colours and quite different from the world champion stripe colours, which are the same as olympic rings colours. is it popular to refer to olympic rings as "rainbow rings"?

When Isaac Newton first described the rainbow, and did his experiments with prisms and light scattering, he identified 5 colours to the rainbow. The common stylised rainbow has 7 colours, but as depicted in many cases, the rainbow as drawn does not match the same colour order as an actual rainbow. This is common in many depictions for aesthetic reasons, ever noticed that a pride flag has 6 colours?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rob

« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2019, 10:05:44 am »

Yeah, it's not technically correct.   However I have followed the sport for 30+ years and it's always been referred to as 'the rainbow jersey'.

« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2019, 10:44:21 am »
If you read many of my posts on this forum you will see that I am angry at the cycle industry for the failure to adequately cater for people who are not Chris Froome, who are not able to get on a bike and spin up a hill with a 53/39, and a 11-28.

My first 'serious' bike purchase was a Raleigh Record Ace, which was a sort of fast-tourer, so came with a 42/52, and a six speed block from 14 to 28.

If you want to 'earn' a jersey, the most accessible route is probably via the World Ultra Cycling Association. They've got lots of divisions, and their jerseys are 'one of a kind'. The downside is that very few people are interested in WUCA, so there'd be a lot of explaining to do. If you have to explain why something is prestigious, then it's not prestigious.

« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:14:14 am »
12 hour National Champion.... with Olympic rings?  Airs and graces comes to mind.

« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:24:35 am »
People do get confused about the status of various titles. I've seen references to riders challenging the world record for LEJOG. I suppose we can blame Guinness for that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:26:51 am »
People do get confused about the status of various titles. I've seen references to riders challenging the world record for LEJOG. I suppose we can blame Guinness for that.

Not helped by things like the baseball world series...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #42 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:33:54 am »
Which series carefully excludes Cuba, so that the winner can be an American team (usually full of Cubans).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:34:46 am »
Just popping into this thread to say that every time it appears on my unread posts list, I read it as Eating a Jersey.
Sorry.
Carry on.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:50:19 am »
Which series carefully excludes Cuba, so that the winner can be an American team (usually full of Cubans).

The Toronto Blue Jays have won it twice.  Montréal also had a MLB team for a while, until they moved somewhere warmer.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:57:52 am »
How would people feel if I bought a copy of an Olympic road race gold medal, and cycled round wearing it?
We'd probably think you were a hip-hopist, unless we looked closely.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-PYEONGCHANG-KOREA-WINTER-OLYMPIC-WINNER-REPLICA-MEDAL-GOLD-SILVER-BRONZE-/323032555956

Just popping into this thread to say that every time it appears on my unread posts list, I read it as Eating a Jersey.
Sorry.
Carry on.
This conversation is strictly for the moths.

« Reply #46 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:58:43 am »
@  Larrers

OK - American-ish!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 21 February, 2019, 12:20:13 pm »

With these values, I an presented with the contradiction, don't judge people on what they wear, however this one item, the rainbow jersey, is an item that you earn the right to wear, that only a small number of people ever earn the right to wear. It is the equivalent of a gold medal from the Olympics. As such, given this, is it right that someone just buys a copy and wears it?

I would feel that was quite odd, but I don't see how you're harming anyone. So pffft, really.

I think you either
- admit to cognitive dissonance (which may be hard if you think of yourself as logical, rational and intelligent), or
- realise you are worrying about something that in no way affects the real world in any significant way. A bit like the grammar pedants whom we all know and love. It is normal to have these minor concerns - the trick is to not let them take over your life.

(oh woe is me, the whole world thinks disc brakes are a class better than rim brakes, for all types of riding - godammit, they're all wrong, why can't they see sense?!? I shall dedicate my life to knocking their heads together, no matter the personal cost/stress !!! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #48 on: 21 February, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »
What about earning one of these rainbow jerseys? 🌈

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #49 on: 21 February, 2019, 12:57:34 pm »
(oh woe is me, the whole world thinks disc brakes are a class better than rim brakes, for all types of riding - godammit, they're all wrong, why can't they see sense?!? I shall dedicate my life to knocking their heads together, no matter the personal cost/stress !!! )

Cry hammock! And let slip the discs of war. More power to your elbow.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight