Author Topic: Bath Time…..  (Read 2962 times)

Bath Time…..
« on: 04 January, 2024, 10:26:24 pm »
I’m taking my sister for a week in Bath at the end of January.   We’ve got a guide book showing the usual attractions, but I’d welcome any recommendations for interesting things to see, nice places to eat & good pubs.  We’ll hopefully be taking a bus to Wells for a day as well.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bath Time…..
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2024, 10:58:36 pm »
Okay, when you've had a look at the Royal Crescent, carry on up the hill, cross Julian Road and enter St James Sq. One of the houses in the bottom left corner is allegedly owned by Van Morrison housing his mistress, or rent boy, whichever you prefer to believe. Bottom right opposite the pub is a small but impressive Georgian arcade. Go up and leave by the top left corner, walk up Park Street to the top of the street (dead end). Wave at the second floor of no 21 from me for old times sake. Spot the footpath exiting the top corner of the street, walk on up and discover Lansdown Crescent, even more impressive than the Royal Crescent and definitely with better views.

See if there's live music (or lunch?) at the Bell on Walcot St. At the far end of Chatham Row, opposite the Bell, is an ice house but it's on private property and no longer accessible. The Building of Bath museum on or near Julian Road is worth a visit. The Costume museum isn't. The little park off London Road at the top end of Walcot Street is pretty and has interesting houses tucked around.

Avon Valley Cyclery next to the station, of course. And the Dark Horse on Julian Road and the St James pub should be avoided! At least they should have been 30 years ago.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2024, 11:24:11 pm »
 ::-) :P :-*   I'd employ you as a guide, but even you don't deserve my sister's wrath.....  :hand:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2024, 11:28:26 pm »
The house where Herschell and his sister lived is a very good afternoon out. Apparently he broke the flagstones on the floor of the house by spilling molten speculum metal in quite signifiant quantities whilst making mirrors for telescopes. As you do...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:04:05 pm »
The house where Herschell and his sister lived is a very good afternoon out. Apparently he broke the flagstones on the floor of the house by spilling molten speculum metal in quite signifiant quantities whilst making mirrors for telescopes. As you do...
Yes, good call.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:14:09 pm »
How are you getting there? Driving in the centre of Bath is not a pleasure and parking is even worse. There's also a Clean Air Zone but I don't know the details. You can hire bikes from Avon Valley Cyclery, but be aware that once you get more than a few hundred metres from the river, everything is either a long hill or a very steep one. Even Bear Flat is not flat (and has no bears, I suppose they've all moved to Surrey). But unless you decide to cycle or walk up to Beckford's Tower – and you should visit it; I can't remember what's inside but the building, location and history are impressive – rather than take the  bus (the one that goes up to Lansdown P&R I think), it won't be too much of a problem.

I presume the Holbourne Museum and Sydney Gardens are on your list? With a short walk along the canal? Put them near the top, they'll fit in with a walk over Pulteney Bridge.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:22:33 pm »
We'll be on the train!  Hopefully the tracks won't have been washed away by then.....       Cycling is not on the menu.  My sister's bike is gathering dust in a cupboard despite my best efforts to entice her out for rides.

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:32:41 pm »
The George Inn in Bathampton is very pleasant for lunch, as is the walk along the river to get there from central Bath.

As I went to Uni there, I'd also say the university is worth a visit. The sporting facilities on the campus these days are amazing. There are a few routes to walk up to the campus from town that include footpaths. Whilst you are up there, Sham Castle is an interesting folly to see.

The Holburne Museum is in a great setting, even if only to visit their garden cafe.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:59:46 pm »
A vote for the Circus Restaurant - had a fabulous meal there a few weeks back. Good for an occasion (ie not cheap).

Oh, and the Cappadocia Turkish restaurant served an excellent rapid meal when we only had an hour to spare before the theatre - good value and fab customer service, a few yards from Pulteney Bridge.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2024, 05:48:10 pm »
Bath is this for cycling: a TOTAL AND UTTER GIT! Hills abound.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2024, 07:51:37 pm »
If you arrive by train you alight a short stroll away from 13 Angel Place on the Lower Bristol Road. It was the scene of a sensational murder* in 1849 and is also the last survivor of a terrace containing the house in which the inventor of the Anglepoise was born (number 8, demolished in 1975).

* as the verdict of the court would have it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2024, 06:52:51 pm »
If Angel Place is where I think it is, you'll cross the river on Halfpenny Bridge. If we're allowing things that aren't there anymore, walk west along the river a few hundred metres till you get to the main road bridge. Then look up the Old Bridge that stood there from the mid-18th century to the 1960s, and weep.

« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2024, 09:27:44 pm »
Well we arrived mid afternoon & had a brief stroll through the shopping centre, past the Roman baths and Abbey, then a wander down to the river, weir & pretty bridge.   Back through town to dump the bags in the Travelsplodge, then up to the Circus & Royal Crescent.  I then remembered Cudzo’s advice & persuaded my sis to scale the hill to Lansdown Crescent.   I think she’s now added you to her hit list Cudzo.  Her knees were not happy.  This place could give FatSamsDisco a run for its money. 

Back down the hill & we dined in style at Pizza Express…..

On the way back to the hotel she tripped over a paving stone & went flat on her face.  Luckily no damage but a bashed knee.  I’ve a feeling tomorrow could involve an open topped bus ride.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2024, 12:19:56 am »

On the way back to the hotel she tripped over a paving stone & went flat on her face.  Luckily no damage but a bashed knee.  I’ve a feeling tomorrow could involve an open topped bus ride.

I’ve never heard that as an NHS euphemism before.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14 on: 30 January, 2024, 06:42:37 am »
Bristol is well worth a day

« Reply #15 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:11:04 am »
If Angel Place is where I think it is, you'll cross the river on Halfpenny Bridge. If we're allowing things that aren't there anymore, walk west along the river a few hundred metres till you get to the main road bridge. Then look up the Old Bridge that stood there from the mid-18th century to the 1960s, and weep.

The 'Old Bridge' was originally the Medieval Saint Lawrence Bridge, but it was widened in 1754 and patched up again at the end of the Napoleonic wars. Telford had offered a single span design but sadly the war had taken all the public money and the city could not afford it.  Now there is just a boring 1965 concrete structure christened the Churchill Bridge when opened.

During the 1950s Bath City Council started an 'orgy of destruction' during which large areas of good Georgian housing were demolished to make way for carbuncular monstrosities.  A campaign was started to prevent further destruction and the damage was recorded in a book - The Sack of Bath, Adam Fergusson 1973.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:12:25 am »
But give me a day's notice so I can go to Bath to avoid your angry sister. I did warn you about the hills!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2024, 03:32:46 pm »
Smells of BO and dope.  Or maybe that's just Clifton.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:06:48 pm »
When I'm in Bath I have to have a Schwartz Burger at some point. Not exactly a cultural hightlight, but delicious!

https://www.schwartzbros.co.uk/
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:56:38 pm »
The Schwartz place is just up the road from the hotel. 

Today was the Abbey & the Roman Baths in the morning followed by the Holburne Museum in the afternoon (excellent exhibition about Gwen John).  Sadly the Victoria Gallery is being renovated.

Going Full Tourist we had lunch at Sally Lunn’s….

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:04:25 pm »
But give me a day's notice so I can go to Bath to avoid your angry sister. I did warn you about the hills!

Start riding Cudzo,  it looks like we are heading your way tomorrow! 

What’s to see ?  I’ve been to Brizzle twice for the Exmouth Exodus, but have never looked around. 
SS Great Britain worth the time ?  The ship, not our current rulers ….

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:21:15 pm »
Wells cathedral is well worth a visit.  Dunno if you have time for a bus or train there.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:22:58 pm »
Wells cathedral is well worth a visit.  Dunno if you have time for a bus or train there.

It’s on the list for Thursday I think. About 80 minutes on the bus, don’t think there is a train.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:43:57 pm »

It’s on the list for Thursday I think. About 80 minutes on the bus, don’t think there is a train.
Don't miss the swans ringing a bell to be fed at the Bishop's Palace.
Next door, to the right of the cathedral.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:57:17 pm »
Given Cudzo is on a bike ride to Lands End:

The circulatory walk round the floating harbour is visually spectacular and has places of interest, such as
SS Great Britain, which is an experience rather than a museum, and that is how it has been set up. I'd say it is worth it.
I'd have said Underfall Yard, but it burnt down as a result of arson, and is being rebuilt.
The M Shed museum

Clifton Suspension Bridge, and the visitor centre the other side of the Gorge.

I'd also have said that the Bristol Beacon is a must for a music aficionado or two but I can't find anything about there being a tour.
Colston's Plinth, for a bit of modern history.
and to follow on, the area near Pero's Bridge (which you'd go over on the circular walk) which is right where Colston's statue was thrown into the water.
Banksys - there are quite a few of them. The link goes to a Bristol Post article, rather than a tour.

Loads more, depending on what floats your rusty steam powered ocean liner  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.