Author Topic: Travel to PBP; was Re: Wander Wye  (Read 8865 times)

Re: Travel to PBP; was Re: Wander Wye
« Reply #25 on: 14 August, 2018, 07:51:29 pm »
Sleeping on the ferry on the way back has never been a problem for me so I've been happy (ish) with the reclining seat option. Having said that, this time I intend to take a proper sleeping bag and air-bed and kip on the floor.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 14 August, 2018, 11:03:19 pm »
Sleeping on the ferry on the way back has never been a problem for me so I've been happy (ish) with the reclining seat option. Having said that, this time I intend to take a proper sleeping bag and air-bed and kip on the floor.

I've made the mistake of trying to sleep in a seat on the sleeper train from Dundee hence why I'm rather p***ed off about the scrapping of the shared compartments (which you never ended up sharing either) but then an advance ticket on an after work east cost train can get me in for 1am and for 35 quid or less so...

I've also made the mistake of thinking I'd be able to sleep in a seat on the Ben-My-Cree despite a 4am sailing from Heysham I ended up driving the motorhome up onto a parking area on marine drive and hopping straight to bed. however that ships "quiet lounge" is right next to the funnel...

However not only am I a light sleeper, I've also had issues getting to sleep in the past; did a fair whack of secondary school on 3 hours sleep a night and then spent most of the weekends asleep.
Possibly prove to be useful training, longest I reckon I ever managed was 8am the morning of Relentless to 6pm the following evening at which point I had the motorhome in the hermiate car park for an unknown amount of time all I know is my mate who assisted through the night was sitting bored, in the dark cursing that I hadn't put him on the insurance.

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 15 August, 2018, 06:45:09 pm »
A cabin for four does not add much cost each if all beds are taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #28 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:05:21 pm »
Brittany Ferries are being awkward about cyclists and foot passengers wanting cabins, especially at weekends. Motorists are more lucrative business and in peak times eg August they know they can sell all the cabins and have motorists' inflated fares. This is a new policy introduced last year.
Mojo is being awakened.

Phil W

Travel to PBP; was Re: Wander Wye
« Reply #29 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:44:14 pm »
The new start is indicating to me a preference for a route that crosses the Seine a bit east of Vernon (where our group stopped on way down last time).  Shortest nice route to Rambouillet I can see from Dieppe is 193km.  For an extra 10km there is a route taking in a better selection of options for cafes and restaurants and shops to stop at for food and cider.  Still intending to ride down in one day next year since overnight ferry comes in so early.

Looks like some nice tracks to explore in the forest.

Bairn Again

« Reply #30 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »
If I can get the annual leave from work I will do PBP 2019.

I will almost certainly stick to the same plan as in 2011 and 2015 which is train from Edinburgh to London and London - Paris with the bike dismantled / packaged to meet the carry on requirement of the Eurostar (85cm so that's saddle, pedals, wheels, handlebars turned and rear mech detached - all protected by some pipe cladding and cable ties to ensure nothing is moving).  I bought a camping bag from AMazon which can go over my shoulder nice n easy. 

A friend has an apartment between Gare du Nord and Republique where I can assemble bike and leave anything I dont want to take with me on PBP.  Train to Rambouillet may be a tad trickier than the RER to St Quentin but no big deal.  I can cycle out to the evening start for 90 hr riders if I have to.  Being self supported was pretty easy too, all i really needed was spare shorts, a small wash bag, knock rations and a de minimus tool kit.   

I did the Baxter Bus from Edinburgh in 2007 and while it was good to have the bus as a bag drop I found the 24hr journey there so hideous that when i got to Brest I booked a flight home at short notice and a friend who was making the baxter bus journey home made sure my bike was on it and I met them in Edinburgh.       

Edit - dismantling the bike post PBP is a total ballache I wont pretend otherwise. 

« Reply #31 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:22:27 pm »
Edit - dismantling the bike post PBP is a total ballache I wont pretend otherwise.

I can see that. Assembling and disassembling a bike in the garage is one thing, but on the floor of an airport or train or bus station is something else.

« Reply #32 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:51:12 am »
Agree best way is to ride to PBP and ride back via oodles of cidre. There was a quiz at the meeting pub in Newhaven last time.

Anyone planning on riding there from Amsterdam or anywhere on route from Amsterdam?

Tho the idea of doing 540km, to the start to then ride another 1200 seems... optimistic...

J

If I ride PBP then the idea of doing Sheffield --> Hull --> Rotterdam --> Paris  is vaguely tempting, we could meet up....
I'm considering Hull to Rotterdam too.  Went from Newcastle to Paris by train in 2015 but I'm not counting on that being as easy/cheap this time around.
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

« Reply #33 on: 04 September, 2018, 11:36:58 am »

I can see that. Assembling and disassembling a bike in the garage is one thing, but on the floor of an airport or train or bus station is something else.

I didn't mind. It gave me something to do for a while with a beer or two in my hand (bearing in mind I was sleeping on the terminal floor next to it before my 7am flight, didn't trust myself to wake up in time if I went to my nearby F1 hotel room).

I did go prepared. Pre-cut pipe lagging for padding, lots of zip ties, big pedal spanner, flip the bars down and a CTC clear plastic bag. I used some route signs I got at the end as extra padding.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:43:42 pm »
Packing a fixed wheel bike is easier!

« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:07:47 pm »
Riding it there & back is easier still.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:51:28 pm »

Have you ever done PBP on fixed Ian??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2018, 03:54:31 pm »

Have you ever done PBP on fixed Ian??
As if I'd do such a thing.

« Reply #38 on: 25 September, 2018, 09:29:11 pm »
Ian wouldn't remember if he had done it on fixed :demon: