Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 85087 times)

Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #100 on: 19 March, 2019, 07:21:42 am »
A build video with a difference:

https://youtu.be/lAjmUQOwgIs
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #101 on: 19 March, 2019, 09:16:54 pm »
Coo.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #102 on: 20 March, 2019, 07:49:21 am »
Pish.  That's not a real aeromodeller.  He's not got bits of balsa stuck to his fingers with cyano.

TheLurker

« Reply #103 on: 16 April, 2019, 08:14:23 pm »
I've already bored Andy with this. Now it's your turn. :)

Test / trimming flight of Lacey M-10 last month at Trinity (Newbury).

https: //vimeo.com/ 330585819  (lose the spaces.  The unedited url won't display, not even in a url tag)

For those that need/want to know
Motor is 18", 2 strands of 3/32", max turns 1800 +/-
This flight is 250 turns, establishing rudder deflections etc.
On 900 turns (50%) turns in a reliable 30s+ from a hand launch.

« Reply #104 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »
congratulations

« Reply #105 on: 10 June, 2019, 02:31:36 pm »
An excellent days flying yesterday, something just clicked, circuits, figure of eights, take off and powered landing nailed both ways. Five out of six deadstick landings spot on, the dodgy one was with a tailwind, the storm was coming in and a gust robbed me of airspeed resulting in a nosedive from about 3 feet, the hot glue gun was required.

I can actually foresee a point I'll be able to pass the 'A'. Time to swotting on the questions.

TheLurker

« Reply #106 on: 11 June, 2019, 04:34:05 pm »
Excellent.  Atrocious weather for flying here yesterday.

> ...the hot glue gun was required.
Sympathy.  On which subject.  The Horsa needs a third fuselage.   One successful bungee launch at Port Meadow a week ago followed by a significantly less than successful launch.  :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #107 on: 23 June, 2019, 02:06:13 pm »
An excellent days flying yesterday, something just clicked, circuits, figure of eights, take off and powered landing nailed both ways. Five out of six deadstick landings spot on, the dodgy one was with a tailwind, the storm was coming in and a gust robbed me of airspeed resulting in a nosedive from about 3 feet, the hot glue gun was required.

I can actually foresee a point I'll be able to pass the 'A'. Time to swotting on the questions.
Well done! Downwind landings are definitely a last resort - you run out of lift very quickly, with the result you found.

If you can do your eights at a reasonably consistent height and approximately symmetrical you'll be fine.

The questions are straightforward, just remember the safety issues when you are prepping to fly. particularly if you are electric.

TheLurker

« Reply #108 on: 04 July, 2019, 07:34:35 pm »
Out playing with No. 5 yesterday afternoon testing a new noseblock with my* patent thrustline adjuster.  It's taken a while and a good deal of help from a couple of (much) more expert mates, but it's more or less trimmed now. 

Video of the last flight at,  https:// vimeo.com/ 346214984
You might want to ask the Vicar to go and make a pot of tea when you play this cos the camera-man says a bad word and I'm afraid you'll need to stitch the url back together the forum sw is playing SBs with it if it's left in one piece.

For those who need to know; the motor is 4 strands of 3/32" x 14" 600 turns (80% is ~ 840).  It will probably get another motor with slightly broader strip as it's not climbing as well it otherwise might.

*Mine as in a shameless rip-off of an idea of Don Ross' but made very much smaller.

TheLurker

« Reply #109 on: 07 July, 2019, 10:56:04 pm »
Finally got MrsLurker's Freebird aloft just before 9pm this evening.  Flew straight off the board, no trimming other than tweaking the tail up a touch as advised in the build notes.

The video is a bit jerky because I've used VLC to strip the sound track and convert from an AVI container to MP4.  It looks as though VLC has dumped 2 or 3 seconds in the conversion.  Hey ho.

Test flight.  About 60 to 70 turns. https:// vimeo.com/ 346750748  (Again you'll have to stitch the URL together)

Tried a couple of flights at 80+ turns (current motor is rated for 100 max) and got the better part of a complete circuit.  With a new, lubed, motor on at 150 to 200 turns I think it'll be a nice little calm evening flier and good for 10+ seconds. 

« Reply #110 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:47:44 am »
^^ I like that

Bad day on Saturday, a full size came in without the pass and nowt on the radio, combination of panic and a gusty wind and I ditched it into the crops to end up hitting the tractor tracks as opposed to a nice soft landing in the crops. Bust the prop and tore off the under-carriage, should've fitted those shearable bolts I bought after you said so andy  ::-)

Ah well more glue.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #111 on: 08 July, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
It happens.  But, however much it hurts, you did the right thing.  I once had to do a rapid landing on a maiden with a twin, to comply with an instruction from the airfield's fire officer,  resulting in a tip stall and a fair bit of damage. 

Modelfixings have loads of nylon bolts, and if you order today you could even get them tomorrow.

« Reply #112 on: 08 July, 2019, 03:11:21 pm »
Oh I bought the bolts, they're still in the packet  :facepalm:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #113 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:31:49 pm »
;D ;D ;D

TheLurker

« Reply #114 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:07:00 pm »
I was going to offer my sympathy, but  ... :)

I take it the repairs will be straight-forward?

« Reply #115 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:03:51 am »
I was going to offer my sympathy, but  ... :)

I take it the repairs will be straight-forward?

Yeah, nothing taxing, there's plenty of material for the glue to take too. New prop arrives today, just got to balance it.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #116 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:12:01 am »
Well done TL with those test flights. There's a certain appeal to just winding it up and letting it go and you get a flight.  TBH, at the moment the thought of lugging a couple of heavy airframes and all the associated kit to the field has lost its appeal. 

TheLurker

« Reply #117 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:12:36 pm »
...at the moment the thought of lugging a couple of heavy airframes and all the associated kit to the field has lost its appeal.
Hark!  Is that an unfinished SE5 kit I hear singing its siren song? :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #118 on: 11 July, 2019, 08:38:41 am »
...at the moment the thought of lugging a couple of heavy airframes and all the associated kit to the field has lost its appeal.
Hark!  Is that an unfinished SE5 kit I hear singing its siren song? :)
Well...….

The re-build of the 2nd Triumph is about to grind to a halt for 2 or 3 weeks as the newly-rebuilt wheels I was expecting for mid July look like being early August and there are a few things I can't complete until I have the wheels.  I could have another look at the Tiger 750 gearbox issue, but if I need parts that leaves me with 2 bikes in bits.

Or I could simply put in some miles on my recumbents.

Or increase my saxophone practice times.

Or finish the SE5A.

TheLurker

« Reply #119 on: 06 August, 2019, 08:43:49 pm »
More niche "fecking divvery".

Have been working up a plan for a smallish span kit scale model - there'll be a build thread over on HPA in due course for those who are interested in that sort of thing - and thought I'd better give it the once over before I start on the final push.  Just as well.  The fuselage and the wings are almost the same scale, but not quite.  Bother!

Not a show-stopper, huzzah for computer based drawing tools, but my branes are too tired to deal with it tonight.  Chiz, chiz, chiz.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #120 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:05:02 am »
…... The fuselage and the wings are almost the same scale, but not quite.  Bother!
  Measure twice.....

« Reply #121 on: 07 August, 2019, 01:34:50 pm »
…... The fuselage and the wings are almost the same scale, but not quite.  Bother!
  Measure twice.....

Cut once, hammer or shim to fit as required.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #122 on: 07 August, 2019, 07:41:09 pm »
Cut by eye, file to fit, paint to match...

TheLurker

« Reply #123 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:01:34 pm »
  Measure twice.....

Cut once, hammer or shim to fit as required.
Did you work for Keil Kraft by any chance? :D

Sorted.  The parish idiot had made the fuselage keel too long by about 3/8" at the stern-post and the fin/rudder was about 1/8" too deep and wide.  Everything else was, thankfully, as close as it needs to be for kit scale. Phew!

Lurk.

« Reply #124 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:56:53 am »
Went through a mock A with our club examiner last night, all was good, but it should be with it that still. I missed my turn in point for a perfect figure of eight and commented on it, the reply was "Ruddy hell Simon, it's an A cert, not an IMAC schedule", good comments of my use of the rudder during the deadstick approach, it's unusual apparently.

Keep flying in the wind now and when our favourite air show commentator has finished gallivanting all over Europe I'll take this test.