Author Topic: what's this?  (Read 2601 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
what's this?
« on: 22 January, 2024, 12:26:37 pm »
Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr
Found it in the saddlebag of 'Polly Pearson'.   It folds out, the curved bit is a sharp blade, and it says 'MADE IN CANADA'

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: what's this?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:31:08 pm »
Can opener.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:32:09 pm »
^
This.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:36:06 pm »
^ wot they said  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:36:31 pm »
P-38 style. Was standard army issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:40:56 pm »
Ah, Ok, wasn't expecting that. Mines the P51 then with the 2 long ribs. I think the ol' boy who owned the bike was into touring, also found a '91 copy of ..........well here it is.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:48:04 pm »
The Canadian version was used for opening meese moosen caribou.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:31:27 pm »
Got one of those somewhere. The point flops out and catches on things so I've never used it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:32:31 pm »
Ah, Ok, wasn't expecting that. Mines the P51 then with the 2 long ribs. I think the ol' boy who owned the bike was into touring, also found a '91 copy of ..........well here it is.

Oh nice, I regret lobbing/drawing on the ones of these I had to read and ignore that fact the boat was bouncing around horribly way back then on return from Harris.
But that's because I collect this sort of shit now.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2024, 03:37:17 pm »
Not related to BP's question, except that I was looking at something and wondering the same thing. My thing is a screwed-on peg-like attachment on my topeak saddlebag. I have just, after many years, discovered that the metal piece unscrews. No idea why.

https://imgur.com/l59Owh8

https://imgur.com/TklUhPl

https://imgur.com/vwLchrf
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2024, 03:41:12 pm »
The metal cap is to protect the thread in the plastic peg. The plastic peg is there to provide a mounting point for the metal piece. HTH! :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2024, 03:48:49 pm »
Those tin openers arrived with every 24hr "Compo" ration box, and lasted for ages. The army was flooded with them at one time. Then we changed over to plastic/foil bags for Boil in the Bag and the tin openers died out - although I'm sure they're far from extinct.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2024, 04:06:38 pm »
Not related to BP's question, except that I was looking at something and wondering the same thing. My thing is a screwed-on peg-like attachment on my topeak saddlebag. I have just, after many years, discovered that the metal piece unscrews. No idea why.

Total guess:

You put a pump through the loops on the bottom and clamp the pump head to the valve simulacra.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #13 on: 22 January, 2024, 04:38:03 pm »

https://imgur.com/l59Owh8

https://imgur.com/TklUhPl

https://imgur.com/vwLchrf

Descriptions of the Topeak Aero wedge say the medium and large versions have a built in pump holder, so I imagine that's it.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #14 on: 22 January, 2024, 05:35:49 pm »
Those tin openers arrived with every 24hr "Compo" ration box, and lasted for ages. The army was flooded with them at one time. Then we changed over to plastic/foil bags for Boil in the Bag and the tin openers died out - although I'm sure they're far from extinct.
I carried one on my key ring all through the 70s, 80s, and probably 90s.  Useful a low bulk item for camping or youth hostelling, and they work very well, much easier than the in opener on a penknife  I seem to remember that back in the 1970s some youth hostels sold them at the princely sum of 10p.  I probably still have one --- somewhere.

« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2024, 05:55:23 pm »

Paul

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:08:50 pm »

Total guess:

You put a pump through the loops on the bottom and clamp the pump head to the valve simulacra.

That's a nice deduction. I thought it looked like a pump peg, but it hadn't occurred to me that it was to hold a pump in that orientation. But I couldn't imagine how it would hold a pump in the frame either.

Descriptions of the Topeak Aero wedge say the medium and large versions have a built in pump holder, so I imagine that's it.

Sam

Aha! Thanks Sam. I did do a search generally and on the Topeak site specifically, but didn't find that.

It's a bit of a compromise - the peg seems only to suit a pump head adapted for schrader valves. But if that's your only way of carrying a pump I suppose the inconvenience might be worth it.

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:03:27 pm »
I suspect it's optimised for one of the Topeak pumps, such as the pocket rocket. Quite a few have dual or even triple valve compatability. I haven't been able to find a picture of the pack with a pump in place, though.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:37:39 pm »

Oh nice, I regret lobbing/drawing on the ones of these I had to read and ignore that fact the boat was bouncing around horribly way back then on return from Harris.
But that's because I collect this sort of shit now.

Ah,ok, would you like it,? If so pm me your address.  ;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2024, 08:41:30 am »
I carried one on my key ring all through the 70s, 80s, and probably 90s.  Useful a low bulk item for camping or youth hostelling, and they work very well, much easier than the in opener on a penknife  I seem to remember that back in the 1970s some youth hostels sold them at the princely sum of 10p.  I probably still have one --- somewhere.

Me too, from my days in the air cadets, used to have one as a key ring but it kept tearing holes in my pockets. I still have one or two kicking around the office
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2024, 12:47:33 pm »
Handy for the safe.

« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2024, 05:14:27 pm »
There were loads of these littering the house, sheds etc. when I was a child.  AIUI you can do bottle caps with the blade in the closed position and open Tim's with the blade deployed.  Handy little gizmo.

Paul

« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2024, 01:30:17 pm »
There were loads of these littering the house, sheds etc. when I was a child.  AIUI you can do bottle caps with the blade in the closed position and open Tim's with the blade deployed.  Handy little gizmo.
Open Tim's what?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2024, 02:45:35 pm »
Open Tim's what?

Wallet?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2024, 10:10:50 am »
Open Tim's what?

Wallet?
You'll need something heftier than that....
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)