Author Topic: spoke count  (Read 4092 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: spoke count
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:42:41 am »

A final comment is that I most commonly use a variant of Brandt's stress relief technique; instead of squeezing the crossings in the plane of the wheel, I squeeze the crossings  towards one another i.e. at ninety degrees to the Brandt squeeze. I think I originally started doing this due to a misunderstanding; however it seems to work at least as well if not better, because it is less likely to leave a bad nipple kink which can happen in some cases otherwise. The J bend may also be better set to suit wheel this way, too.

Could you please explain the stress relief method? I am not familiar with the Brant method or the variant you describe. I use an old crank and bend the spoke downwards and then do parallel spokes together.
BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: spoke count
« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2018, 01:17:07 pm »
Brandt's method is explained in his book (best to buy it in print but I think  there is a hooky pdf download somewhere if you look) and looks a bit like this

The method I usually use applies the load at right angles to this (i.e. parallel to the axle), at the spoke crossings.

In theory it is similar to the stress-relief loading applied by some wheel building machines eg

where the side wheels are pushed against the spokes,  but in reality some wheels that are built in such machines still break spokes, so either there is an intrinsic  difference in stress relief so produced, or the conditions used are substantially different in some way.

cheers