Author Topic: Giro 2019  (Read 3736 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Giro 2019
« on: 11 May, 2019, 05:30:45 pm »
Grand Tour season starts today. S4C (I my be listening to a lot of Welsh over the next few weeks!) have a live feed which I am using to watch the opening TT in Bologna, then up up up to San Luca.  I know how step that climb is in parts :sick:.

Roglic already smashing the GC :o.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Giro 2019
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2019, 05:44:40 pm »
 I see Froome & Thomas are saving themselves for Le Tour.

edit.  Giro highlights on Quest Freeview 37.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:12:37 pm »

Viviani has had his stage win revoked.

Can anyone who understands racing better explain whats happened? I don't quite get it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:59:28 pm »
I thought it might be, he changed his line considerably in the last few metres.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:34:54 am »
But the rider he checked was never going to win, the commissaires need to apply some common sense. It is sprinting, after all, it's not for shrinking violets.

ETA just read he not only lost the 50 points from the stage win, he was docked as further 50 points as part of his punishment, meaning the points jersey - the sprinters reason for racing to the end - is out of reach, so he may quit before the mountains.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

madamemugwump

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:42:47 am »
I thought it might be, he changed his line considerably in the last few metres.

I saw he'd changed line but the commentators didn't say anything about it so I figured there was nothing wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2019, 07:48:17 pm »
But the rider he checked was never going to win, the commissaires need to apply some common sense. It is sprinting, after all, it's not for shrinking violets.

ETA just read he not only lost the 50 points from the stage win, he was docked as further 50 points as part of his punishment, meaning the points jersey - the sprinters reason for racing to the end - is out of reach, so he may quit before the mountains.
All very odd - but that's the Giro!

He certainly risked punishment with such a sudden deviation, but the guy he blocked didn't protest (I think?) and the "winner" was very embarassed.

Perhaps they were trying too  hard not to favour the home favourite? Who knows!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »
Horrible weather today!  I bet they all had soggy shoes and chafed bum cracks by the finish.  The amount of standing water was amazing.

Who let Sean Kelly on TV?  I know he's a legend but it's like listening to Father Stone with worse vowels.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2019, 01:00:29 pm »

Sunweb is having a really shit race. They've lost Dumoulin yesterday, and just lost another rider to a crash.

Roglic's not having a good day it seems.

Is this level of crashes normal? It feels like more than normal.

J
--

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2019, 01:03:14 pm »
Normal in first week of giro or TdF

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2019, 12:25:42 am »
From the Italian TV coverage it looks like some of the riders are a bit pot bellied. Are they wearing something under their jumpers  ???

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2019, 08:43:44 pm »
That’s normal I think, their strength is in their backs.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:16:13 am »
Normal in first week of giro or TdF
It might be because the QUest highlights aren't showing them, but this week has seemed very light on crashes. Shame one of them claimed crazy TomD :(

Unlike typical TdeF stages, most of the sprint finishes have been from a small group (i.e. 40ish, not 6-7!). I rather like this, as I'm crap at picking out riders in real-time; I've been able to properly follow most of the sprints this week.  :thumbsup:

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2019, 04:10:34 pm »
Yates not done too well, Roglic motored through the rain for the win - don't think either Geraint or Froomey would have touched him....

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »
Really not enjoyed the highlights on Quest.  Lots of crashes and a surprise big gain by the breakaway has still managed to translate as a rather dull week of cycling from the highlights.  A week of flat stages hasn't helped to be fair.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2019, 06:37:07 am »
Really not enjoyed the highlights on Quest.
They do a good job of making Boulting&Boardman look good.

(I get a LOT more out of the Cycling Podcast coverage. Genuinely engaging pundits, with plenty of extra stuffs. I suspect I only watch the TV coverage cos I'm worried I'll miss the one visually brilliant incident of the whole race ...  ::-)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:20:50 pm »
It has been a poor 11 stages so far - 2 TT and 9 sprint stages.  Got to the point that I check the stage online to check whether it's worth watching.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:55:13 pm »
Well today was different!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2019, 05:54:59 am »
And doesn't snow make for pretty viewing :)

A fun stage to watch. Looks like the Brits are unlikely to continue their Grand Tour dominance in this one, but we may get a proper scrap in GC  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2019, 01:29:57 pm »
Now that Carapaz has walked in on them, do you think that Roglic and Nibbles will stop hanging round having hate sex at the back?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »

Just spent a few minutes trying to work out why I couldn't find coverage details for todays stage, before realising it's the rest day... It's one of those days isn't it...

Looking at the numbers of the last couple of days, If Yates can continue to take time out of Roglic at the same rate, he should pass Roglic on stage 22...

J
--

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #21 on: 31 May, 2019, 09:03:33 am »
Wow!!!! What a finish yesterday. The three-man breakaway very very very nearly got caught, but prevailed!!! Super finish.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #22 on: 31 May, 2019, 01:04:27 pm »
Well, a third of it prevailed. Yes, very exciting. I was mildly amused by the fact that the winner's best finishing position so far in the Giro was 95th. And the GC battle is nicely set up for the remaining three stages.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2019, 06:53:54 pm »
Wow!!!! What a finish yesterday. The three-man breakaway very very very nearly got caught, but prevailed!!! Super finish.

Yeah, loved that. It was the best thing in this Giro, unil ...

Cap Flip!!! Superman fights roadside accidental crime!  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------