Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284428 times)

On FB Jeff Lynne has announced that 'Dawes' are joining him on tour this Summer.

Apparently it's the name of a 'popular beat combo'.

Soooooo disappointed . . .
Seriously, get some Dawes into your lugholes...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've just been reading about the nation-building functions of typefaces. Moderately interesting, but in Polish (here) so to take one example: the first purpose designed Polish font (ie designed from the start to include Polish special letters such as ą, ć and so on) wasn't made till the 1920s and the decision to base it on a Latin font rather than eg Gothic necessarily excluded some of the population, who were more used to Gothic, having lived under German rule – or to Cyrillic or even Hebraic. And the particular font chosen as the source, Antiqua, apparently tried to connect with the Latin world of rationality and enlightenment, rejecting Germanic romanticism. More up to date, there's the use of the Solidarity font by various drastically opposed political groupings around the world, none of which the creator seems to object to.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The News Quiz will be back on R4 next Friday evening.  Hoorah.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Attention forum banjo-ists (and other assorted string-ists): check out the Renaissance Ramblers.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Had a natter to my younger son this evening. He asked me if I would like tickets to this for:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e92fbp

I most certainly would! it seems that some sot of lottery system is in place. It's quite a few years since I went to a prom. I don't recall that being the case previously.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Guerilla statues! Are they a development of guerilla knitting?

Shame about the bike racks, but compromises have to be made.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Listened to the latest Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (RHLSTP!) with Brian Blessed. It's quite astonishing, and hugely entertaining.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/rhlstp_175_brian_blessed/

This is Richard Herring's own description of it:
"RHLSTP #175: BRIAN BLESSED!!!! What Was The Question? It's finally come to pass. The podcasts can end now, because the whole point of starting them up has been achieved. Richard's guest is a man who has played all theatrical parts, but most notably the part of Brian Blessed. I couldn't even begin to describe what happened on this extraordinary night, except to say it is was a bona fide happening. Try and predict how many words Richard will say in this. It's a free form and extraordinary, yet sometimes beautiful and inspiring, journey through the career, philosophy and madness of a man who might be the greatest living Englishmen. How much of it is true? I can't tell you. But at least some of it. Includes sticking it to Picasso, toileting on a mountain, biting umbilical cords, working with the young Peter O'Toole and Patrick Stewart, never dying and probably some other stuff. I can't tell you. I had a little nap through most of it. Worth watching the video version to see my torture on what was one of the best experiences of my life. This podcast is absolutely unbeatable."
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

The local ice cream van has changed its tune, from a Sex Pistols tune about being on a boat to something I can’t quite place.

Andrij

• Андрій

Andrij

• Андрій
From the world of strange and unusual instruments... Learning To Play The Shenanigan.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I heard that nice Dr. Larrington getting a repeat airing on Radio 4 Extra yesterday.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I heard that nice Dr. Larrington getting a repeat airing on Radio 4 Extra yesterday.

#MediaTartery
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Well, I got an airing on R3 today, for the second time in a week. Picking a tune to be put on their play list, yay!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Cudzoziemiec

Well, I got an airing on R3 today, for the second time in a week. Picking a tune to be put on their play list, yay!
You are Citoyen AICMFP.

citoyen

You are Citoyen AICMFP.

Bit harsh on Steph!

citoyen

Any Cabbage fans in the house? The boy has got himself in the video for their latest single, Postmodernist Caligula...
https://youtu.be/gO-TI_SfMBc

He's the one dancing enthusiastically in the doorway of a guitar shop.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Frankly, Probe Plus, showing the new Half Man Half Biscuit album as "NO STOCK" on the day it's released is Not Good Enough.  If you haven't changed your mind by the time I've had me tea, then the Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia will be getting my money.

Bah!

citoyen

Frankly, Probe Plus, showing the new Half Man Half Biscuit album as "NO STOCK" on the day it's released is Not Good Enough.  If you haven't changed your mind by the time I've had me tea, then the Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia will be getting my money.

Bah!

They played 'Man Of Constant Sorrow (With A Garage In Constant Use)' on the radio yesterday. Sounds to me like Nigel is on top form.

I gave up on Probe and used one of the sites listed on the Chris Rand forum. It landed on my doormat today - on a day off - and has been played quite a bit. I think NB10 is a lot happier these days. He was very upbeat in Leamington. Roll on the Kentish Town Forum, where I shall discover if Mr Larrington really exists...

The new guitarist is very different to Ken, who had a rather placid stage presence. My fervent hope is that Prag Vec At The Melkveg gets a stage airing. I don't think Ken's axe work was up to it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia got my dough coz in addition to the CD I could download it for immediate listenage.  Sorry, Nigel.  Sorry, Geoff.

I came across this transcript of John LeCarre being interviewed on US public radio, while much of the content might qualify it for POBI, I recommend it to the house

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=548632065

A local theatre is putting on a new version of Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons. They appear to have changed the name of the third child to Tatty.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

Tatty has been standard since I was at school. Probably owing to an overabundance of sniggering schoolboys.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
A local theatre is putting on a new version of Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons. They appear to have changed the name of the third child to Tatty.

There was a hoo hah about this when the most recent film version came out too. Apparently Titty got her name from a book "Titty Mouse and Tatty Mouse", so the switch sort of makes sense.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)