Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463481 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4925 on: 24 March, 2024, 09:52:13 am »
Anyone in the market for 850 mg Metformin, whereof I have a shitload?  In combination with Movicol or Laxido it's guaranteed to have you diving off into the undergrowth at about 5 minutes' notice. #firehose

On the bright side, this morning I managed to balance Glibenclamide and carbs on toddle to the next village & back to buy a few goodies.  2.5 mg Glib = 1 madeleine + 1 Decathlon marzipan bar + 5k walk. Blood sugar once home bang in middle of OK range. Last time I tried it I had a shuddering hypo at ~1k.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4926 on: 25 March, 2024, 04:05:51 pm »

« Reply #4927 on: 25 March, 2024, 06:35:59 pm »
No further bowel movements since the little one but comfortable with with windy farts. I am still taking 2 movicol plus lactose and also eating pears and bananas. I still worried about the the future of this  :(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4928 on: 25 March, 2024, 06:41:06 pm »
ISTR that Viennese coffee with fig extract was a great loosener.   Brown liquid in....... :-X
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4929 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:06:46 pm »
I would expect by now that a stream of brown fluid is what I should be experiencing. I am concerned that the bowel has shut down completely and I will soon be back in wexham hospital in pain 😢

« Reply #4930 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:08:30 pm »
I am phoning the doctor in the morning but have no idea what he/she could do about it 🤔

« Reply #4931 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:15:17 pm »

Lets hope they can sort you out with something quickly, otherwise you might have to resort to DIY techniques.....      :hand:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-pipe-drain-cleaning-coil-1-32m/65766

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4932 on: 25 March, 2024, 09:52:23 pm »
I was told when I had faecal impaction that it could take 2-3 days for laxido to start working. I think if you are unsure, it is wise to seek GP advice for your specific circumstances as they are slightly different to mine. It may be worth asking if avoiding food entirely is wise (I was told to minimise food and try an go on all liquid diet to rest my bowel).

Fingers crossed the guts move or the GP can advise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4933 on: 25 March, 2024, 10:06:03 pm »
Seek urgent medical help if you are not passing wind…
GWS!

« Reply #4934 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:50:41 pm »
40 minutes ago shit happened!!!!.the floodgates opened. Note to self...
... be careful what you wish for. I wonder if I'll be up all night 🌙 🤔.
Seriously I will have to phone the doctor and see what happens next  :)

« Reply #4935 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:21:57 am »
And now my back has gone into spasm..the fun never ends
.paracetamol and meloxicam plus antibiotics for breakfast this morning    :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4936 on: 26 March, 2024, 09:04:37 am »
 :facepalm: It's never-ending. Hope the NSAID doesn't go for your upper gut ==> cherry on the cake.

Bon courage.

« Reply #4937 on: 26 March, 2024, 06:45:21 pm »
So far so good. I tried sitting in the hated wheelchair this afternoon and I seemed comfortable in but before I could experiment further it's started to rain again so I'll have to try again tomorrow  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4938 on: Yesterday at 04:17:46 pm »
Heigh ho. Mentioned the angina I suspected on my last ride to the cardiologist this pm, and now I have an appointment for a coronography + possible stent in 2 weeks.  He offered to do a stress test to confirm it first, but last year's test showed the odd "insignificant" ST depression at 150W, and my blood sugar was running pretty high during the experiment with glibenclamide, so I thought "in for a penny" and opted for the coro.  Last time it took me 2 months after stenting to get back to doing 100k outings so I reckon I should be fit enough for a 200k just as it gets too bloody hot to do one.  Assuming they don't do a (please not!) bypass.

Otherwise, resting ECG & echography fine.  I reckon I'll do my own stress test on Saturday if it's not raining.

Interesting trivium: from first stent to next took 8 years, and that was 8 years ago.  If they do one in a fortnight I should be good until I'm 85. Gawd.  I want a complete refurb.

« Reply #4939 on: Yesterday at 08:42:09 pm »
Up to heatherwood hospital in the morning to hopefully get the catheter removed. I will go for a ride whatever the weather if I  have a success  :)

« Reply #4940 on: Today at 08:55:04 am »
Given the sunshine this morning I wish you well on your ride.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4941 on: Today at 09:29:39 am »
Up to heatherwood hospital in the morning to hopefully get the catheter removed. I will go for a ride whatever the weather if I  have a success  :)

Here's hoping.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, after following the gastropod's injunctions and switching my main reflux nostrum to half-an-hour before breakfast yesterday, I have just had the worst night of acid reflux I've ever had. Mind you, I did have a bacon* and melted Munster sandwich for "dinner", but I had one last week too with no great ill-effects.  So the dose that she called ineffective obviously wasn't.  Am now quandarized as to which path to follow and it's bloody Easter so the pros have all buggered off for the weekend. Can't blame them, the incessant procession of carping ancients must be really depressing.  They pull down good money but what they have to put up with to get it...  I'm glad my career was varied and fascinating.

* French "bacon" is not the hearty cholesterol-oozing deliciousness that the UK enjoys but an almost fat-free pork product.  It's edible if you're not expecting the stuff we used to get in Norn Iron, which probably helped to off my dad.

« Reply #4942 on: Today at 10:26:52 am »
Hmm.
I was on Omeprazole for years.

2 doses a day of slow release, it was expected to gradually build up. I found less than 24 hours before it was noticeably beneficial.

I suspect that your gastro expert was thinking of non-slow release omeprazole. the slow stuff is capsules filled with granules; these are coated and release gradually, so there is a sustained dosage throughout the day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4943 on: Today at 12:49:15 pm »
And the hateful catheter is gone  :thumbsup:. Hopefully it won't be back for years  :).  Thank you all for the support and advice. You have helped me keep slightly sane  :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4944 on: Today at 01:23:21 pm »
Congratulations!

« Reply #4945 on: Today at 01:31:04 pm »
Given the sunshine this morning I wish you well on your ride.

This post did not age well, it has been raining ever since.

« Reply #4946 on: Today at 01:34:12 pm »
And the hateful catheter is gone  :thumbsup: . Hopefully it won't be back for years  :-) .  Thank you all for the support and advice. You have helped me keep slightly sane  :P

“Sane” & “Cycleman”.  Words rarely used in the same sentence…..