Author Topic: Estate Agent Smarmery?  (Read 4294 times)

Re: Estate Agent Smarmery?
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2019, 02:07:30 pm »
Why pay for a team of people to sit in a fancy office and drink coffee, when all you need is a portal to the online viewing things like OntheMarket, Zoopla and Rightmove?

We had a very easy sale (of Mrs GB's old flat) through a local independent estate agent. Prior to signing anything with them they said they knew of a developer who was looking for flats in exactly these types of blocks. They had their fees negotiated down on this basis and the sale went through quickly and relatively painlessly.

Avoid F*xt*ns though. Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2019, 03:23:49 pm »
Basically, it's a contract you need to read, because there's usually a lot of money on the line and you can be tied into a deal with a useless agent. Always, always negotiate the percentage and term down (they'll always pitch high). And use the fact they'll claim 'to have a buyer' – if it's going to be such an easy sale, they'll obviously take a low commission and short tenure, won't they, as it'll be easy money...

If I were to ever move and use an agent again, I'd try the local independent – the ones we dealt with on the vendor's side (because our own agent – KFH – evidently couldn't be bothered) were a local affair. That said, this house had been on the market for eighteen months, so they were pretty desperate to move it, even at £50k off already reduced asking price.

On the plus side, we now have a laughably small (by London standards) mortgage (which only exists because we can only pay 10% off each year without triggering an early repayment). But I did begrudge the >£10k we paid out in agency and conveyancing and other fees for frankly not very much service – and you have to chase every-fucking-thing.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27 on: 07 March, 2019, 07:11:11 pm »
I'm surprised than anyone still uses a traditional High Street estate agent.  We sold ours very quickly and efficiently through Yopa.  Flat rate fee, you knew exactly what you were getting, and how much you'd pay.  Why pay for a team of people to sit in a fancy office and drink coffee, when all you need is a portal to the online viewing things like OntheMarket, Zoopla and Rightmove?  As for buying our current house, which involved using other people's agents, was an ongoing clusterfuck which left us homeless for 5 months, because estate agents can't be arsed to do their jobs.

Who manages the viewings when you're not around? I'm currently spending roughly a third of my time in Dumfries, the rest back in Stornoway.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:09:06 pm »
Aaargh!  I've just put one of our rental properties up for sale today - with "my rules" for the estate agent to work to. 

As always "I have someone waiting" ... although the agent did sell an identical property in the same street about 4 weeks ago and has, he says,a disappointed under-bidder  (that, if true, was reflected in the sale fee I said they could have as it should be easy)

Time will tell - there's no pressure to sell, it's just tidying up our finances.

Rob

PS: CAMRAman - have you thought of seeing if you can get it on the intranet of the NHS establishment just along the road from you ... IIRC they have "ads" for property both purchase and rental?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #29 on: 09 March, 2019, 05:00:19 pm »
I'm surprised than anyone still uses a traditional High Street estate agent.  We sold ours very quickly and efficiently through Yopa.  Flat rate fee, you knew exactly what you were getting, and how much you'd pay.  Why pay for a team of people to sit in a fancy office and drink coffee, when all you need is a portal to the online viewing things like OntheMarket, Zoopla and Rightmove?  As for buying our current house, which involved using other people's agents, was an ongoing clusterfuck which left us homeless for 5 months, because estate agents can't be arsed to do their jobs.

Who manages the viewings when you're not around? I'm currently spending roughly a third of my time in Dumfries, the rest back in Stornoway.

I wouldn't trust an estate agent to show someone round my home!  Your situation is pretty unusual, and that could surely be managed by having a handy friend with the key.  The actual management of viewings is online, and our one (YOPA) worked perfectly, and could obviously be accessed wherever you were.
Wombat

« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:35:04 pm »

I wouldn't trust an estate agent
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain