Author Topic: Garmin edge touring external battery charger.  (Read 3919 times)

Garmin edge touring external battery charger.
« on: 13 December, 2014, 10:15:35 pm »
Has anybody had any luck with an external battery charger on a Garmin edge touring (plus)?
One that the unit can be powered from whilst riding?

The battery life is dreadful & only just lasts a 200k audax, longer if not on the map page but my
sadly defunct 705 would last 4 hrs longer with turn by turn mapping. I used a gomadic external AA
charger with my 705 that got me all around LEL easily.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Re: Garmin edge touring external battery charger.
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2014, 12:59:56 am »
godley spinner,

I've got an Edge 200, and I wonder if yours has the same power socket.  If it does, you may be interested in this topic:-

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85529.0  f

rom reply 10.  Andy's advice was spot on, although I got a slightly different model of PNY stick.  I used it for the first time today actually on the bike while I was riding and it worked superbly, even putting the back light on so I could follow the route in the dark.  When I finished the ride, my Garmin was shown as being fully charged!  (This was a 200k).  I didn't even plug it in until I got the low battery warning.

Hope this helps

Peter

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Touring models are the same hardware as the 800 / 810 models, but with simplified firmware.

In which case, they will run / charge from pretty much any USB battery pack.
I have a couple of these 5700mAh units, I take on on 400 / 600 rides and it's plenty enough for that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005VBNW2G

5200mAh runs the thing for 24 hrs with the backlight on all night, running navigation and recording tracklog.  After 24hrs the external pack is down to just under half full, with the internal battery still 100%.
I'd advise having it plugged in from the start.

« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2014, 08:13:00 pm »
How do you keep the charging lead plugged into the mini USB port on the bottom of a Garmin 705 if the USB port is a loose fit?My lead falls out at the first bump in the road!I've tried using a 90 degree mini USB lead but the 90 degree section faces forward away from the Garmin,not underneath it.Can I get a magnetic mini USB to USB cable?I've looked on the internet without success.Can anyone offer useful tips in keeping the charging lead in place?

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2014, 09:25:01 pm »
I use an elastic band that is sort of knotted onto the cable then looped over the 705's body.