Author Topic: editing tracks in Basecamp  (Read 1547 times)

editing tracks in Basecamp
« on: 19 February, 2015, 06:07:41 pm »
So I want to edit a track in Basecamp. Method I used to use was to convert the track to a route.  Bring up the route information pane.  Then I could edit it by deleting from chosen viapoints.  I could work out total distances between viapoints.  Only trouble is now the viapoints don't seem to be numbered in the information pane, even when I tick "more info" at the bottom.  The viapoints give arrival times but not the numbers.  Any help please?  Apart from "once you get used to a version of Basecamp never update it".

Re: editing tracks in Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2015, 07:45:51 pm »
What exactly is it you are trying to do?
If you double-click the track it brings up a properties box with the via points listed in order of creation which you can click on.

If you wish to remove a point use the eraser on the tool bar. If you want to move one then select the move tool and select the point and drag to move.

If you want to split it chose the divide tool.

If you are trying to edit a via point to enter some data, I don't think you can as they are not user-defined waypoints, you would have to add one and edit that. This should be loaded into Garmin device for the ride.

« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:20:21 pm »
What i am mostly trying to do is to calculate the distance between points.  Let's say I have downloaded a long route and I want to work out how far it is between two towns.  I used to take the number of a viapoint at one town and then look up the  distance from the start of the route in the properties box and then take the  number of a viapoint at the other town and look up the distance from the start of the route.  The difference gave me the distance between the two points.  Without the numbers of the viapoints listed in the properties box I can't do it.

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:07:37 pm »
I see your problem. After twiddling around with my copy, I think you have answered your own question. I can only find an approximation using the measure tool between two or more points, keeping the measuring line as close to the track as possible and add a bit to take the mid fitting into account.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2015, 04:30:40 pm »
You could select part of the track. ie open the track properties window, then click on the first point. Then hold down Shift, and click on the end point. Then it will show the distance/time etc for that part.
This should work for either routes or tracks.

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:13:49 pm »
Good idea.  However the problem is this:  in the Properties box I cannot see the number of each point.  On the route I can read the numbers of the points as if you hover over the little black dot the name of the route comes up and the number of that particular point.  However, in the Properties box these numbers of the points do not appear.  It is something to do with the way the Properties box is being displayed and i can't change it.