Author Topic: Camping in the Midlands  (Read 6490 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Camping in the Midlands
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:42:46 pm »
I'll probably be finishing off the other "work" (ie unpaid task) that I should have done last weekend anyway (and which I ought to get on with right now). If I'm there, I'll see you all there. If I'm not, then hello anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »
Possibly. Need to check trains as I can't get out of work Friday morning. How far and what sort of ride from Mordor Central?

One that involves a suboptimal amount of Birmingham.  Probably worth getting the local train to Coventry or something.

« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:22:15 pm »
I am planning to leave for wolvey around 4.30am Thursday morning and following my normal route to long itchington then a Google maps route to wolvey. I am hoping to get to wolvey for approx 7.30p.m. ish . Apollo should arrive around lunchtime on Friday. 😀
the slower you go the more you see

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #28 on: 01 May, 2019, 05:29:14 am »
Possibly. Need to check trains as I can't get out of work Friday morning. How far and what sort of ride from Mordor Central?

One that involves a suboptimal amount of Birmingham.  Probably worth getting the local train to Coventry or something.

We rode there from Coventry (just under 10 miles) last time we stayed there https://ridewithgps.com/trips/14728266
Wasn't too bad traffic wise.

Rich

« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2019, 10:04:15 am »
After a late start I have got to high Wycombe where I am partaking in a hot chocolate break. I might stop at the green man at long itchington tonight depending on how well I am going, doing the last 20miles tomorrow  .😀

« Reply #30 on: 03 May, 2019, 11:20:51 am »
Have a nice time! Sadly, we are completely swamped with unpacking so we won't make it this time. I'd upload a photo of our living room with it's vertical sofa if I could work out how to do it these days. The boxes were unloaded before the bookshelves and sofa so it is a bit chaotic. Hopefully we will be sorted by the next trip. Say hi to Apollo for us  :-*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 03 May, 2019, 01:53:31 pm »
While I have successfully got all my camping kit rounded up, I'm currently wiped out with lack of sleep and staying within easy running distance of the loo.  No sure what brought that on (feels boringly IBSy, but I had some weird nausea earlier in the week, so maybe not), but in the absence of a dramatic recovery I think I'm going to have to miss this one.   :(

I'd upload a photo of our living room with it's vertical sofa if I could work out how to do it these days.

Here, you can borrow mine (courtesy of rubbish London landlord with bizarre definition of 'unfurnished'):

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 03 May, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »
I won't be able to make this due to life and other works. Wishing you all tasty cake and good beer, bright sunshine and roaring fires, dry tents and warm sleeping bags, pleasant rides and many smiles.

« Reply #33 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
Ĺooks like just me And Apollo then unless rich forest turns up.  Oh well it's a  nice site. My down mat has died and won't stay up  so I am in for a uncomfortable night  ::-) :)

« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:38:17 pm »
I'm feeling a bit down and I am not sure why  when it's stopped raining we are going to ride to Tesco in Hinckley and then find a pub for the evening 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »
Uhoh.  Wolvey has a post office, maybe worth seeing if they have a giant roll of bubble wrap?

Alternatively, there's a Decathlon on the northern outskirts of Coventry, CV6 6AS

And http://www.purelyoutdoors.co.uk/ in Nuneaton, though they look a bit caravanny.

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:57:51 pm »
Thanks Kim I feel a ride coming
 :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
Just spotted this on the Purely Outdoors site:

We are just a dispatch warehouse therefore we do not have a showroom open to the public, however if there is a product you wish to collect please call/email us so we can check stock availabilty.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 03 May, 2019, 05:06:00 pm »
Decathlon might be your best bet. They usually lots of everything and not too costly.

« Reply #39 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:19:11 pm »
If i avoid freezing in the night I will have a look around tomorrow   :)

« Reply #40 on: 04 May, 2019, 01:14:53 pm »
I had some texts from poler bear yesterday an this morning he and his wife met me at bedworth railway station bearing (see what I did there  :) ) 2 sleeping, mats some meths (which I had forgotten to bring) and a pair of very welcome gloves I had a nice breakfast in a  cafe in the park then we headed back to wolvey seeing and following a traction engine fòr part of our return journey   :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 04 May, 2019, 01:46:30 pm »
Good stuff! :)

« Reply #42 on: 04 May, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »
Well done the Bears.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: 04 May, 2019, 05:55:11 pm »
I can’t come because I’m in Germany! Birthday wave to Apollo.

That sounds a bit sub-optimal Kim. Hope you are better soon.  Don’t think the equipment rack matches the decor... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 04 May, 2019, 06:02:53 pm »
Yeah, guts eventually settled down and I've been feeling much better after a good night's sleep and some food, so I don't think it was lurgy.

Good to hear PB brought meths to help thaw cycleman out.  I must admit I was quite glad not to be in a tent last night...

« Reply #45 on: 04 May, 2019, 07:57:20 pm »
I had some texts from poler bear yesterday an this morning he and his wife met me at bedworth railway station bearing (see what I did there  :) ) 2 sleeping, mats some meths (which I had forgotten to bring) and a pair of very welcome gloves I had a nice breakfast in a  cafe in the park then we headed back to wolvey seeing and following a traction engine fòr part of our return journey   :)
Good to see you Chris. You know when you're in Warwickshire's 'oop north' when the town's park is called the miners' welfare.

« Reply #46 on: 04 May, 2019, 10:22:13 pm »
Yes I noticed that mlle pb#, it's nice to see that children get welfare and a park  ;D.
Andrew c I will pass on your birthday wishes to Apollo  :thumbsup:.
Apollo had a stir fry for supper and I had sausages with my stir fry followed by a hot chocolate drink I am settling down in my nice warm down sleeping bag now night night all  :)

« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »
A bit of a late start today but we had breakfast at the cafe we used the same cafe we used yesterday for breakfast then we pottered to Sutton wharf cafe where we are having a late lunch.
We co
Have done with ķims radar key along the section of canal on ncn52 and we will be going back that way as well......., ::-) :)

« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2019, 05:40:44 pm »
Now back at wolvey campsite  and burning supper on the meths stove as usual   :)

« Reply #49 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:43:18 pm »
I had the tents and kit packed in time for the apollo  12. 00  pick up. I then pottered the 20 miles to long Itchington and pitched the tent behind the green Man. Polar bear and his friend Martin appeared and set up their tents.  Martins tent was so big I thought he was going to park his car in it  :o, and in the morning he looked like he had spent the night getting lost in it  :D . After a good night's sleep  eating drinking and packing was done before went our separate ways. I have had a good ride back with brief stops at Banbury and bicester  arriving home around 7.30   :).
Apollo enjoyed himself and despite the cool conditions we got a bit of cycling in   :)