Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210742 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #525 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
Um, that would be me.
Colleague lent me his new front light to try out on the commute home (he only cycle commutes once or twice a week).
In the excitement of fitting and playing with the new front light, I neglected to turn on the back ones until I was nearly home.

:-[ :-[
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #526 on: 14 November, 2016, 07:58:33 pm »
Cyclist on very dark stretch of downhill main road with tree canopy near home, 7pm 'ish. No lights at all, hands off bars, earphones, weaving about. Gave him a couple of blasts on the horn before overtaking and then discovered had police car behind me which then put on blues and pulled him up. Hopefully they gave him a bollocking and a set of lights (local campaign). What are these kids thinking, lights are cheap as chips at the bottom end?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #527 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »
Similar.  Instant reaction was to launch expletives at the car that pulled out from the kerb in front of the cyclist, both travelling in the opposite direction to me tonight.  It registered a few yards later that actually the illumination through the power button of this laptop is brighter than said cyclists front light.  You sir are a royal plonker and so to a marginally lesser extent am I.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #528 on: 16 November, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »
Partially me and partially the youth on bike I nearly buried under the car the other evening. After putting my bike in the car after the commute and collecting my wife from the tram station (she normally cycles) we were heading home and used a side road to bypass the traffic. The sideroad comes to a B road but isn't marked Give Way but often you need to stop. I check to my right as I slow down to turn left and nothing is coming so I am about to keep moving and my wife shout 'STOP'. I did and there is ninja youth right in the cross hairs. No lights, nothing. I just didn't see him. He swears and keeps moving. I pass him, look in my mirror and he just becomes invisible again. I should have stopped and given him a light off my bike.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #529 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »
Funny old day.  No motons out, even a couple of borderline TNAR events and..

1) Having overtaken a cyclist (loads of room, no issues at all) about 80 meters further up the road I slow for a ped on a zebra R to L. I'm in the middle of the lane moving at minimum speed with my left arm out as I'm turning a couple of meters past the crossing.  Same cyclist comes past on my left not having slowed at all, just missing my arm and pretty darn close to the ped who still has one foot on the crossing.
2) Just around the corner of the left turn full ninja.  All black gear, no lights at all and not even a single reflective spot on him.  Relying on the white frame to be seen I guess.
3) I followed a cyclist up a small incline with a reasonable red blinky on his seatpost and a fairly vicious white light on the back of his head.

Wierd day.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #530 on: 06 December, 2016, 08:30:15 pm »
The tool who locked their bike to mine outside work today.

I have returned the favour witha nice thankyou note.

I shall be removing mine tomorrow and if their's isn't I shall be getting security to do it. >:(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #531 on: 07 December, 2016, 11:35:26 am »
Note gone and their lock re-locked in a more appropriate manner this morning.  An apology wouldn't have gone amiss seeing as it cost me about £20 in taxi and bus fares (left contact details on my polite note on their bike).

I feel in no especial hurry to remove my locks from their bike now and am somewhat tempted to leave their's locked up another night with one of mine....

... but I guess I should be a little more adult than that.

Mostly I'm relieved mine is still there as it had occurred to me when I left that this might be a sneaky tactic to thieve mine - come back in the night and cut my locks open.  Indeed I read once home that this is in fact a commonly used method.  Fortunately and gratifyingly not the case.  Just extreme muppetry.

« Reply #532 on: 09 December, 2016, 08:23:35 am »
The tool who locked their bike to mine outside work today.

I have returned the favour witha nice thankyou note.

I shall be removing mine tomorrow and if their's isn't I shall be getting security to do it. >:(

I thought at first you meant you had then placed your own lock round both bikes!  As well as the thank you note.

Best to check saddle heights first.  If their's is much higher than yours you need to be wary..
Move Faster and Bake Things

caerau

« Reply #533 on: 09 December, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »
I did.

I am a big burly bloke.  The other bike was a pink glittery small MTB.

Anyway, I don't care.  I hope they learned the lesson to bloody well pay attention to how you lock your bike up.  They owe me about £20 in taxi and bus fares if I was to really get arsey about it.  Plus I spent all night having trouble sleeping as I was worried it was a ploy to thieve my bike.

« Reply #534 on: 15 December, 2016, 09:45:02 am »
Every f*cking morning for the last 3 mornings I cross a pedestrian crossing and the same cyclist has sailed through the red light, about 4" behind me. I'm really tempted to step backwards into them.

It's early in the morning, the road is empty. Would it really cost them so much to stop for red?

Oh and add the person on Monday, who at 6:30am, with the road nearly empty, found it necessary to ride up on the pavement, continue on the pavement in front of the rail station past all the bus stops (weaving at speed past the people waiting for buses) then rejoin the road once they were past the station? The road was empty.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #535 on: 15 December, 2016, 12:40:13 pm »
Every f*cking morning for the last 3 mornings I cross a pedestrian crossing and the same cyclist has sailed through the red light, about 4" behind me. I'm really tempted to step backwards into them.

It's early in the morning, the road is empty. Would it really cost them so much to stop for red?

Oh and add the person on Monday, who at 6:30am, with the road nearly empty, found it necessary to ride up on the pavement, continue on the pavement in front of the rail station past all the bus stops (weaving at speed past the people waiting for buses) then rejoin the road once they were past the station? The road was empty.

Apparently it not illegal to go behind the person so I've read but yes stopping would be a better option.
EDIT: I am the div. Didn't read the red light.

« Reply #536 on: 15 December, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »
It's illegal to pass a red light.

I think I would be tempted to carry an umbrella which might accidently go into someone's wheel...

« Reply #537 on: 15 December, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
Last evening about 19:15*, just about here. We (anyone who was cycling) had just had to contend with the Addison Lee method of passenger dropping - stop in the middle of the road and have the passenger open the door to block the cycle lane  :facepalm:, and were riding in traffic up to the zebra. I wasn't going particularly fast, maybe a little faster than dead slow as a result of the annoyance, but ready to stop. As I came up the inside to the zebra, as expected, people crossing from the right so I stop. And was rear ended (by a girl who had a few yards earlier pulled out from the left without stopping forcing me right).

"Sorry", she said "but you stopped unexpectedly"

I waved expansively at the zebra

"I know" she continued "but it was without warning"  :facepalm: ;D ::-)

I just laughed.

*very relevant given its proximity to the Barbican and the consequent density of peds.

« Reply #538 on: 19 December, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »
Ok, today it was me  :-[

There's this shared cyclepath on the other side of the road which I'd crossed over to use.  It's covered in leaf mould and stuff and at one point it crosses the entrance to a car park.  Cars have to climb a steep ramp to exit the park and visibilty is poor.  There are give way lines both for bicycles and cars but they are barely visible under the muck*.  Due to big building works it is in fact used by vans almost exclusively -  they tend to park up in the morning and leave at end of day.

Me, trundling along, forgot to look properly and this van was coming up the ramp quite quickly.  No way I could brake in time and so I was very relieved when the van managed to do so before crossing my path!  I cycled on in a state of mild shock and then stopped to see how the van was doing.  He'd obviously paused to recover and as he passed I waved in appreciation of his reflexes and he waved back.

I usually ride defensively was very annoyed at myself for the lapse.

* went back today and there is a large red notice on the ramp which says 'Cycle Track Crossing, Look both Left and Right'.

Move Faster and Bake Things

fuzzy

« Reply #540 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:25:26 am »
Hoods for the win...... Not.

« Reply #541 on: 22 December, 2016, 12:47:34 pm »

Earphones must be blocking the approaching sound of a train that his addled brain confused with the train that just went past!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #542 on: 22 December, 2016, 03:25:56 pm »
Cyclist's near-miss with train

I was just about to post that one.  HTF can you miss a train?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #543 on: 22 December, 2016, 03:50:14 pm »
Get out o bed too late- get stuck in traffic?

:facepalm: You mean HTF can you miss the fact that a train is approaching?

;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #544 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:20:23 pm »

Earphones must be blocking the approaching sound of a train that his addled brain confused with the train that just went past!

Neither hoods nor earphones prevent safe use of a level crossing.  It's called not looking.  You know, like the drivers do.

« Reply #545 on: 22 December, 2016, 06:03:09 pm »
I was expecting to see a person on a bicycle rather than a pedestrian pushing a bike.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #546 on: 22 December, 2016, 11:18:53 pm »
Get out o bed too late- get stuck in traffic?

:facepalm: You mean HTF can you miss the fact that a train is approaching?

;)

I've never not caught my intended train. It's called planning.

I've also never missed an approaching train, hence still alive and posting. :)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #547 on: 23 December, 2016, 10:01:21 am »

Neither hoods nor earphones prevent safe use of a level crossing.  It's called not looking.  You know, like the drivers do.

Add to that there's red and green lights on the approach, with clear instructions (Cross only when green light shows) of what to do.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #548 on: 23 December, 2016, 10:23:09 am »
It's possible a train had just passed in the opposite direction. My father once saved a guy's life when he waved him back from the other side, and the guy started to cross without looking after the first train passed. The second train actually stopped just beyond before proceeding, the driver must have s**t himself seeing the guy start to cross (it was a steam loco, very restricted forward vision).

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #549 on: 23 December, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
I've also never missed hit an approaching train, hence still alive and posting. :)
FTFY :D
216km from Marsh Gibbon