Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210786 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: DOTD
« Reply #750 on: 20 January, 2019, 04:01:45 pm »
I think there are some who don't realize bike lights can be steady, just as some don't realize it's possible to ride in something other than shorts when the temperature dips below zero.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #751 on: 20 January, 2019, 05:22:34 pm »
Geordies and posties have an exemption.  For the shorts-wearing, not the flashing lights.

« Reply #752 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »
Geordies and posties have an exemption.  For the shorts-wearing, not the flashing lights.

Apparently that's where Scott's polar expedition went wrong.  They took ponies, which died in the extreme cold.  He should have taken geordies who would have been fine in t-shirt and jeans.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

bairn again

« Reply #753 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:38:30 pm »
Got a telling off from a runner for sounding my bell (he was ahead of me going in the same direction on a path that was just about wide enough for us both and it was my standard courtesy warning when overtaking combined with a deceleration given the width of the path). 

Said hed prefer cyclists not to ring their bells. 

I recognised him so I cant wait til next time  :demon:

« Reply #754 on: 24 January, 2019, 11:04:01 am »

Anyway, front flashing lights are a work of Stan, and should only be used in daylight during thick fog or for impersonating police officers.   :hand:

Indeed.  It's a pet hate. I think a lot of people who have them don't realise that some people will have a tendency to drive/ride *toward* blindingly bright or flashing lights, and that when used in the dark the temporary blindness caused to other road users is a menace.  Fortunately, living in a non-urban area does tend to weed them out - descending a big hill in the dark is certainly more challenging if your light isn't on all the time.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #755 on: 25 January, 2019, 07:08:22 am »
I have a "be seen by" flasher on all the time. My "see by" lights are only ever on steady.

Sorry - but I disagree with the "work of stan" comments regarding this, as long as the flasher is not excessively bright.

« Reply #756 on: 25 January, 2019, 07:16:07 am »
as long as the flasher is not excessively bright.
At the other end of the spectrum, I often see riders with daytime front lights that are about as effective as a fart in a thunderstorm.  I see the rider long long before I notice they have a glow worm attached to their bars.

« Reply #757 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:41:11 am »
DOTD shoutout to the fella on the Chalke & Cheese out of Warmley t'other week. Several hundred fully illuminated cyclists heading down the Bristol-Bath traffic free cycle path together. So, obviously, had super bright flashing lights front and rear. I had to sprint off ahead of him for fear of an epileptic fit.

« Reply #758 on: 25 January, 2019, 09:01:32 am »
Got a telling off from a runner for sounding my bell (he was ahead of me going in the same direction on a path that was just about wide enough for us both and it was my standard courtesy warning when overtaking combined with a deceleration given the width of the path). 

Said hed prefer cyclists not to ring their bells. 

I recognised him so I cant wait til next time  :demon:

I wonder how he thinks cyclists with bells supposed to determine his preferences.   So far I haven't had any negativity since I've be using a bell again.  Tend to ping from way back, and keeping pinging at intervals as I approach, until I get a response.  Sometime runners/peds with headphones will confound my efforts.  On rarer occasions I still opt for 'mornin', 'coming through' etc instead of a bell, if I just feel it's more appropriate.

edit.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #759 on: 25 January, 2019, 09:26:19 am »
DOTD shoutout to the fella on the Chalke & Cheese out of Warmley t'other week. Several hundred fully illuminated cyclists heading down the Bristol-Bath traffic free cycle path together. So, obviously, had super bright flashing lights front and rear. I had to sprint off ahead of him for fear of an epileptic fit.
Paths like that are the places to experience the full range of cyclist lighting choices, from no lights or reflectors at all to full on epileptic disco at high noon, and encompassing all sorts of weird colours and positioning in between. And that's just the cyclists, if we add in the runners, walkers, dogs, hover wheels and similar devices, we'd never end!

« Reply #760 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:58:52 pm »
What a bunch of utter knob ends. Particularly one Iain Plumb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47009149

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #761 on: 25 January, 2019, 10:55:30 pm »
Lights! Flashing! White on the rear, red on the front  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #762 on: 25 January, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
Lights! Flashing! White on the rear, red on the front  :facepalm:
Occasionally see people with red on the front or white on the rear, don't think I've ever seen both on the same bike. I do wonder whether it's just a mistake, or a case of desperation wrong lights are better than no lights, or a deliberate ploy for WTF-factor safety.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #763 on: 26 January, 2019, 11:10:03 am »
Not half as stoopid as red filters on motorcycle front lights  :facepalm:

On rural winding roads at night, sometimes all you can do is steer by aiming for the red lights ahead. I can't see how that could go wrong...
(motorbike idiocy has a different thread I'm sure)

« Reply #764 on: 27 January, 2019, 12:10:33 am »

Shocking lack of consideration.

£1000 in fines & costs was fairly substantial when considering this driver - horse/rider collision outcome...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40134629
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #765 on: 27 January, 2019, 12:20:34 am »

Shocking lack of consideration.

£1000 in fines & costs was fairly substantial when considering this driver - horse/rider collision outcome...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40134629

:demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #766 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:21:02 pm »
More comedy than dickery: I was at a large, traffic light controlled junction waiting for the right turn filter.  The lights went red for the cross traffic, so the requisite three extra vehicles went through.  The third vehicle was an e-bike ridden by a Just Eat branded courier, who for some reason was too busy staring at me (I've no idea why, I wasn't on a recumbent or anything) that he missed the fact that there was nowhere for the RLJers to go and they'd stopped in the middle of the box junction.  Cue unskilled emergency braking (locking the rear wheel) and nearly skidding into the back of the car in front, followed by an undignified scrabble to remain upright.

« Reply #767 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »
I’m going to nominate Mr In A HURRY In My BMW of Brighton.
This morning, as I walked to work, he screeched round a corner to a halt in front of me. It’s a 20 zone and that wasn’t 20. Then, despite his obvious hurry, got out and started shouting and approaching a woman. I think she’d had the temerity to cross the road in front of him. Then there were about 8 of us stopped and expecting trouble, my phone coming out for a photo, someone else suggesting he was going too fast and should chill out. He then left, with more screeching round corners and going too fast down residential streets.
I hope he crashes into a thing rather than a person.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #768 on: 18 February, 2019, 02:31:10 pm »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5457584,0.7032503,19.82z refers.

I was cycling in a westerly direction in primary position, approaching the junction of Harcourt Ave and Chelmsford Ave, about to execute a right turn followed by a left into North Road. A white Smart/Aygo type car suddenly appeared 6 inches away from my right elbow, also turned rignt and then left, and then stopped. I stopped and tapped on the drivers window. The driver looked up at me and I said "I'd like to talk to you."

She wound the window down.

"Why did you overtake me just then?"

Blank look. "Just when?"

"About 10 seconds ago, as I was about to turn right out of Harcourt Avenue. Didn't you see me?"

Sigh. "Yes, I saw you. I'm sorry. I was preoccupied. There's an awful lot going on in my life at the moment."

"Same for me, and I'd like it to carry on doing just that and not have it cut short by an inattentive motorist. Thank you."

And off I rode, feeling terribly guilty because the poor woman seemed to be about to burst into tears. Five minutes later, after I left my erstwhile destination of the doctors' surgery, I saw her again. I think she had been sitting in her car trying to get a grip for all the time I was there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #769 on: 18 February, 2019, 02:49:28 pm »
Don't feel guilty. Maybe you were the intervention she was longing for.

« Reply #770 on: 19 February, 2019, 03:36:08 pm »
At the tail end of yesterday's DIY 200, entering Devizes at the start of rush hour, moron in a 4x4 and towing a trailer that was wider than his car attempted to overtake me, but part of the trailer hit my right leg. Luckily I disengaged from the pedal and was just able to stay upright despite pinballing betwixt trailer and kerb.
Put in an 800W sprint to catch him, but he soon turned into the local DIY shop car park. Tapped on his passenger side window to ask if he even knew he'd just hit me, to be met with, 'Touch my f*cking car and I'll knock your teeth out.'
I should've left him to his one man fifedom of twattery; instead I invited him to demonstrate. He got out, walked round to me, whereupon I encouraged him to have a sit down. I should have been the bigger man and walked away. I'm not proud. I sort of am

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #771 on: 19 February, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
Just a point of order people.

DOTD is for cycling dicks.
The Motorised moron thread is for motorised bell-ends.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #772 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:10:35 pm »
Just a point of order people.

DOTD is for cycling dicks.
The Motorised moron thread is for motorised bell-ends.
Well made.

But I'm glad it didn't stop Kev posting  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #773 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:36:23 am »
At the tail end of yesterday's DIY 200, entering Devizes at the start of rush hour, moron in a 4x4 and towing a trailer that was wider than his car attempted to overtake me, but part of the trailer hit my right leg. Luckily I disengaged from the pedal and was just able to stay upright despite pinballing betwixt trailer and kerb.
Put in an 800W sprint to catch him, but he soon turned into the local DIY shop car park. Tapped on his passenger side window to ask if he even knew he'd just hit me, to be met with, 'Touch my f*cking car and I'll knock your teeth out.'
I should've left him to his one man fifedom of twattery; instead I invited him to demonstrate. He got out, walked round to me, whereupon I encouraged him to have a sit down. I should have been the bigger man and walked away. I'm not proud. I sort of am

Sometimes remaining nr. the vehicle if they are getting out upsets them. I have been known to sit on my bike near (but not too close) to the offending vehicle. This generally means the driver is forced to stay with the vehicle or is on edge when they go about their business. Of course they will offer violence but I invite them to ring the police and see what the police have to say. On one occasion, I may have gone back and removed the front number plate - my memory isn't what it was so I'm not sure.

essexian

« Reply #774 on: 22 February, 2019, 07:58:48 am »
DOTD????

https://road.cc/content/news/256624-court-told-road-rage-cyclist-tried-rip-door-merc-he-failed-did-rip-wing-mirror

Part of me wants to say yes and part of me wonders if the driver is up before the Beak....nah, that's as likely as me becoming a member of the SBS.