Author Topic: Gilded cutlery and dishwasher  (Read 1977 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Gilded cutlery and dishwasher
« on: 13 January, 2019, 11:54:20 am »
My Mum gave us a set of Solingen 18/10 cutlery as she already has two sets and never used it. I remember it being used for Christmas and Easter and that was about it.

The thing is, we are a dishwasher household and it has gilding around the edge of each handle. I have googled but find nothing that says whether the dishwasher would strip the gold off. Does anyone know?

We may use it anyway as if we don’t no-one else will, but it does seem a bit sad if we’ll lose the gold from it.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Gilded cutlery and dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2019, 11:57:38 am »
We inherited some gilded Thomas porcelain. We did use it and the gilding has slowly been removed over many years but we still use it as a link to the past.

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2019, 12:18:13 pm »
I would just wash it by hand. There's always stuff that isn't "Dishwasher safe" that you need to wash by hand after a massive cook up, so why risk it? I would suspect (although I'm no expert) that the gilding will be knackered after repeated washes in the dishwasher...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2019, 01:09:52 pm »
Hmph. Our cutlery is all 08/15.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:31:16 pm »
We inherited some gilded Thomas porcelain. We did use it and the gilding has slowly been removed over many years but we still use it as a link to the past.

Mum's gilded crockery has suffered likewise.

The plain (ungilded) mirror finish cutlery I bought from John Lewis last year recommends hand washing to preserve the finish.

If you want this stuff continue looking perfect, hand wash it.

Personally, I find the pristine, 'never been used' look unfriendly as users then fear marking things with 'fair wear and tear'.

At 60, I don't expect myself to have the hair/face/figure/teeth of a 16 year old...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »
What's the difference between hand washing and a dishwasher? Hand washing is usually hotter, and could be more scrubbing etc.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »
What's the difference between hand washing and a dishwasher? Hand washing is usually hotter, and could be more scrubbing etc.

Hand washing chez moi is never hotter as the boiler won't supply more than 62C and there's a long pipe run.

Dishwasher detergent is very strongly alkaline, much more than weak washing-up liquid.

Dishwashers propel fine jets of hot water, at high speed and pressure. The water may contain hard particles (eg limescale) that scratch and scour.

I don't have a (working) dishwasher. My parents do and their stuff has many more scuffs and scratches

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2019, 03:17:15 pm »
Dishwashing is higher temperature and subjected to that high temperature for a much longer time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:20:05 pm »
Modern dishwashers have an energy saving mode, usually at about 50°C. Still does the job of washing stuff.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:24:07 pm »
Fair enough but washing solution is still much more corrosive and abrasive than hand wash.

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »
Modern dishwashers have an energy saving mode, usually at about 50°C. Still does the job of washing stuff.

Indeed, we only use the 25 minute short wash now.  The hot wash is reserved for cleaning and des along the machine itself.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:55:09 pm »
I guess ours is not modern! No idea how old it is but it only has 65 degrees and takes at a guess nearer an hour. Though even 25 minutes is quite a long time to do the washing up really.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:51:50 pm »
I reckon a fair chunk of wishdosher magic is down to what is in effect prolonged soaking.

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:14:57 am »
Gold is pretty much immune to corrosion.
On the other hand, it's soft and the plating is very thin, so it doesn't take much abrasion to remove it. No green scouring pads if you hand wash.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:34:26 am »
It's odd that no one's produced scouring pads in another colour (that I've seen at least). You'd think there'd be a market opportunity for the same old scourer in red, blue or whatever, accompanied by pseudoscience marketobollocks about magic new formula.

« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2019, 11:00:45 am »
When I worked in engineering, we used green washing up scouring pads to polish out small steps and blemishes on aluminium. For a shinier finish, there was a black scouring pad which was less abrasive and gave an almost mirror finish.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.