Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 65310 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #150 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:43:07 pm »
Once we fall through the trapdoor of oblivion EVERYTHING will rise in price because - whether it's true or not - falling though the trapdoor of oblivion will be to blame.

Don't want to get into POBI territory but suffice to say that the gammon will get well and truly roasted.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #151 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:38:10 pm »

Would this not be a worse situation - as you would still have online shopping, but just a multitude of small, crap, badly-written websites and different attitudes to delivery, customer service, and returns - rather than one.

Well, that might be better than the one crap, badly written website and terrible attitudes to delivery, customer service and returns that  you get with Amazon.

:-\ what delivery/customer service/returns issues have you had with amazon? Not saying there aren't any, just curious as to what they are, 'cos I find them pretty convenient and quibble free.
My main issue with them is they tend to have an over-abundance of low-end / cheap chinese products, but are more lacking in higher-end, latest, quality, and well-known-brand stuff.

The website looks like it has escaped from the 1990s.

Every time* I've gone for next day delivery because of urgency, I've ended up with free delivery several days after I needed it.

I've been signed up to Prime twice when I had no intention of doing so.

*Twice. I assumed the first time was an aberration. Obviously not.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #152 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:44:30 pm »

You say that as if it's a bad thing...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #153 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:50:22 pm »
Quote from: Ben
People don't want bricks and mortar shops any more...
Speak for yourself. I bloody well do.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Ben T

« Reply #154 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:39:38 pm »
Why would you want to spend time travelling into town and travelling all the way back again to/from a shop that might not even have what you want?  :-\ ???

Ben T

« Reply #155 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:41:09 pm »

Every time* I've gone for next day delivery because of urgency, I've ended up with free delivery several days after I needed it.

All I can say is you must be clicking the wrong button. Check your glasses.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #156 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
I don’t know about the end of retail, but if my in box is anything to go by it’s not very well. It’s three weeks before ‘Black friday’ and I’ve got a number of emails proclaiming the start of BF deals.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #157 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:41:36 pm »

Oh look, I’ve been bonjed again.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #158 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:01:52 am »
Why would you want to spend time travelling into town and travelling all the way back again to/from a shop that might not even have what you want?  :-\ ???
And why would I want to spend time sitting in front of a computer fighting with a shit web site, not able to examine the thing I want to buy, then have to hang around waiting for a courier who may or may not deliver what I've ordered or even if something is delivered it's the wrong thing because the fulfillment centre doesn't pay proper wages so gets the sort of workers that shit wages attract.  Of course that's assuming the web retailer really has what you want in stock and doesn't say "Oops sorry, we *thought* we had it, but we don't really. Try again in a day or two.  Sorreee" when you get to the bit where you pay.  Oh and just how many web sites do you know that accept cash or have real live people that you can quiz about the thing you want to buy?

And there's this marvellous invention called, "The Telephone" that let's me talk to people a long, long way away and if I really want to avoid a possibly fruitless round trip I can make a "Telephone Call" to find out whether or not the shop has what I want in stock.

Shopping on the web?  You can shove it where the sun don't shine.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #159 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:27:30 am »

You can only be Bonjed if you engage, you did, so self inflicted.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #160 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:06:53 am »

Possibly/probably the Prime sign-up was related to asking for next day delivery. One can't usually get the latter without agreeing to the former.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ben T

« Reply #161 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:12:55 am »
And there's this marvellous invention called, "The Telephone" that let's me talk to people a long, long way away and if I really want to avoid a possibly fruitless round trip I can make a "Telephone Call" to find out whether or not the shop has what I want in stock.
;D The most depressing bit about that is when you ring up, and they then start tapping away on the computer and say "er..well, we've got 2 showing on the system, so should have, yeah". YOU'RE IN THE SHOP, GO AND HAVE AN ACTUAL PHYSICAL LOOK!

Oh and just how many web sites do you know ... have real live people that you can quiz about the thing you want to buy?

How many physical shops do? (That actually know)

Ben T

« Reply #162 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:16:22 am »

I rarely need next day delivery because I plan my purchases ahead, and order things in advance of when I'm likely to need them.
You're obviously just part of the instant gratification brigade.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #163 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:21:40 am »

Possibly/probably the Prime sign-up was related to asking for next day delivery. One can't usually get the latter without agreeing to the former.

Nope, I was charged for next day delivery; Prime gives you free next day.  Prime is designed to suck the unwary in and I’m well versed in avoiding it. Which is why finding an email saying Welcome to Prime is so insidious.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #164 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:22:20 am »

You can only be Bonjed if you engage, you did, so self inflicted.

Yes, you are right. I fed it.  :(

Ben T

« Reply #165 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:27:05 am »

Nope, I was charged for next day delivery; Prime gives you free next day.  Prime is designed to suck the unwary in and I’m well versed in avoiding it. Which is why finding an email saying Welcome to Prime is so insidious.

are you sure you weren't charged for delivery because you live so bloody far away from civilization? ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #166 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:41:46 am »
Shopping centres are not the only way of organising shops, and shops are not the only way of shopping. We've had physical shops as long as there's been trade but shopping centres are a relatively recent thing. Unless we go back to self-sufficient peasantry, we'll always need some sort of shopping. We might be a bit better off without wandering around shopping centres as a prime leisure activity, but perhaps not if it's replaced by wandering around Amazon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #167 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:47:28 am »
Shopping centres have been around for many hundreds of years. Originally traders gathered together on intersecting tracks/paths. They’ve got bigger and more sophisticated over time, but then most things have.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #168 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:51:46 am »
True, but then any place with a few shops together is a shopping centre. I was thinking of their post-WWII enclosed-street physical form.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #169 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:53:13 am »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #170 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:04:43 am »
And one which survives as part of Broadmead in "Bristol's Shopping Quarter". And Arab souks and in Chinese cities too. Not ugly though.

« Reply #171 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:08:47 am »
There doesn't seem to be much opportunity for independent businesses to exist in shopping malls. Unlike the 'shopping centres'  of smaller towns, where increasingly they are the norm.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #172 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:15:38 am »
By comparison, this is how big London was when the Burlington arcade was built.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/crace/l/007zzz000000006u00213000.html

As for ugly, there are an awful lot of developments that are ugly. I find South Bank very ugly.

The destruction of many town and city centres in WW2 led to a lot of redevelopment (mainly of open centres such as Broadmead, or Coventry, Plymouth etc.) Then came the collecting together of parcels of land by developers to build larger, enclosed centres. Bull Ring being one of the first of those in the late 1960s.

Collections of traders and then shops have been with us a very long time. They provide a visual centre for a community, employment, a social hub, and so on. The future will be interesting (if there is going to be one for humans)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #173 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:23:43 am »
There doesn't seem to be much opportunity for independent businesses to exist in shopping malls. Unlike the 'shopping centres'  of smaller towns, where increasingly they are the norm.

It’s a factor of the increasing size and complexity of the newer, bigger buildings. Cost more to run, so higher occupancy costs. Some larger centres can afford to have parts with lower rents, providing smaller, cheaper spaces for independents. They aren’t a panacea though, things like standardised opening hours are a burden on independents. (And in my view, independents can lose their sparkle and difference when located in a standardised run of shops)

In many ways the homogenisation of High Streets and Centres (it’s not just a purpose built centre issue - it’s about prime retail space) is now happening with the internet. The difference being there is no employment, no returns to the local economy, no social hub, no visual centre, just lots of white vans and gig economy estate cars full of parcels.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #174 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:24:07 am »
Perhaps the future of retail might be that all the big stores will exist as warehouses, websites and liveried vans, because there isn't really much physically to either cause us to visit their shops or distinguish one from the other; while "shopping centres" (high streets) become much smaller and consist of independent traders and small makers? And cafes of course. That's until Donald presses the great button of course. (But probably it will be something different.)