Author Topic: Apples  (Read 1008 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Apples
« on: 20 September, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
Apologies if there's already a thread about these - the search facility kept on bringing up fox hunting. :o

I've been out to a local orchard today and bought 2lb Bramleys, 1lb Russetts and 1lb Lord Lambournes. I've just eaten a Russett - absolutely delicious!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:05:55 am »
You should have bought more Russets :P

Thinks "apple pies :P"
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:44:51 am »
I keep meaning to visit the orchards at Ampleforth where they have loads of old varieties (and the monks make cider).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:54:05 am »
Anyone want some Bramleys?
Glut here.
PYO.

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:57:06 am »
We had a lovely huge bramley tree in our front garden until a couple of years ago. It was old and out of control (hadn't been pruned for about 30 years I think) and about 40 feet hight. Had to come down unfortunately as it was tarting to crack and was too close to the house really for a tree of that size. It had lovely blossom every spring. Once we get sorted out I am going to plant another to replace it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:08:51 am »
It's amazing how many localised varieties of apple there are. My grandfather had some in his garden which no one could identify for years, eventually some one said they were Herefordshire Beefs. Sounds like cattle, doesn't it? Also amazing how few varieties dominate commercial apple growing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:07:50 am »
I once had a house and garden with the most wonderful apples in existance. They were 'Howgate Wonders'. Size and shape of a Bramley, skin a bit like a Cox.

Taste was perfect, applely, not over sweet, not too tart. They cooked ok, not collapsing as much as a Bramley.

Bruised easily, which is why I guess they are never seen commercially.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2010, 02:10:12 pm »
My Howgate Wonder has it's first crop on it, almost ready for picking.  The tree is about 15 years old, but I bought it as a one year old "whip" - a three foot straight twig with roots on, grew it as an espalier then, just as it was about ready to fruit properly we moved house, so I dug it up and brought it with us.  It has taken it 5 years to recover and friut again and I am looking forward to enjoying the results.