Author Topic: Home Made Pizza.  (Read 2118 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Home Made Pizza.
« on: 04 April, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
Takes about 30 minutes + Depending on how hungry you are

OK. I can't get enough of home made pizza. After starting making my own bread over a year back I started making my on pizza' So heres my recipe.

I'd love to know your ideas so I can make mine a little different, by the way my pizza is a simple easy recipe though it is so good even though I say so myself

Ingredients:

Dough:
8 oz plain flour
Yeast
Sugar
salt
Oil 1 tbls

Mix and leave till double in size, roll out/stretch out too 12"

Pizza Sauce:

Two large tbls tomatoe puree
Three large tbls stork marg
Dried Herbs (lots of) Oregano,Basil, Herbas Provenzales (Could be a Spanish mixed herb ?), and not forgetting fresh cracked black or white pepper.
MIX IT UP

Spread on your pizza base

Add whatever else takes your fancy

Cook in a hot oven (mine being gas mark 7.5) for ten minutes

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re: Home Made Pizza.
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »
I forgot the 1/4 pint of warm water for the yeast suger dough mix in the recipe.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »
When I make pizza I use a generous dash of passata mixed with a couple of tbsp tom puree as the basis for the topping. Gives the right richness of flavour without being either overpowering or insipid and watery.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »
For me, the great joy of home-made pizza is the ability to have pizza bianca - tomato free food!  :D Although this is really common in parts of Italy, for some reason it's not caught on over in the UK. Prezzo even sell a "Bianca" - covered in tomatoes! :facepalm: :sick:

So anyway, my favourite topping is gorgonzola, thin wafers of fresh-sliced pear, and a large scattering of chopped walnuts, all on a thin crispy base. Nommy! 8)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »
OK

Pasatta is on my shopping list as Ive never had that as far as I know ?
Mmm PEARS ! that sounds good ! for a gorgonzola with walnuts, never had one of those.

Thin & crispy ? this is something that I need to work on, I'm thinking about using my dough recipe though rolling my pizza base out bigger and cooking on a lower heat over a longer period of time then ?

Shopping list:
Pear: ripe n juicy
Walnuts:
Pasaatta

Thanks people  :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »
Make the dough.

While it's proving, skin some tomatoes. Say 4 or 5, put in just boiled water for a while until the skins loosen. Lift out of water and peel, then slice.

Arrange slices as a single close fitting layer on the base.
Cover with smoked salmon bits.
Top with sliced mozzarella.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2011, 02:22:06 am »
Nailed it ! Just made, eaten this. thin n crispy with a 1 to 2" inch crust.

Gas mark 6.5 for 12 minutes rolled out at 14" inch .

@ Tim Hall I like your idea. Its in my recipe book with all the others. Time for bed on on full stomach. Not good.

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:23:57 am »
Hooray! A convert to the true way of tomato-freeness! :thumbsup:

(useful trivia about pasatta: if you are camping in France and want a tin of tomatoes to make bolognaise/chili (OK, I admit I eat tomatoes under some circumstances), then a carton of pasatta from the hypermarche is about 1/6th the price of tinned toms!)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2011, 09:23:35 am »
I get about 4 pizza delivery menus through my letterbox every week. What these people don't know is that I am 100 times better at making a pizza than they are, so I will never patronise their business.

The key thing for me is to knead the dough for a good ten minutes before letting it prove for an hour. For the sauce I simmer down a tin of tomatoes, adding some puree to thicken and crushed garlic right at the end. Sometimes I'll had some cherry or plum tomatoes, roasted until they burst and the skins blacken. One of the drawbacks (or benefits) of living on your own is that every product is packaged for families - so one tin of tomatoes and one pack of mozzarella is enough to make two large pizzas. One goes in the freezer for next week - it suffers a bit for this, but still knocks spots off anything from Dominos or the supermarket. For toppings I go for the "less is more" approach - a few ripped leaves of basil, sliced fresh chillies and some black olives, finished with a sprinkling of oregano and ground black pepper.

One day, I will have a wood-fired oven in the back garden, which will cook a pizza in 90 seconds...

« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2011, 09:30:25 am »
All of the above!!

Home Made Pizza is a welcome reminder of just how good some of the shite that's passed of by supermarkets & chains could be, and why these things originally became popular.

Friday night tends to be pizza night chez snr. toppings vary week to week, favorites include garlic chili prawns, spinach, pine nuts & ricotta. We do use passata, but prefer to use a few chopped sun blushed tomatoes for a bit of tomato flavour without drowning the things in ketchup!!

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2011, 10:29:42 am »
I tend to make pizza whenever I make bread at the weekends using the same dough recipe - white, wholemeal, whatever. Not tried granary pizza yet.

Favourite toppings are olives, anchovies and capers (napolitana?) or bolognese but whatever's in the fridge is good. Eggs especially so.  :thumbsup:

I quite often make a spicy harissa tomato sauce to have with meatballs - this is really good on pizza.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2011, 11:01:13 am »
For the sauce I simmer down a tin of tomatoes, adding some puree to thicken and crushed garlic right at the end.

I do similar, although brown the garlic in olive oil first. Let it thicken right up so it needs spreading on the base, rather than flowing. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:18:42 pm »
When I make pizza I use a generous dash of passata mixed with a couple of tbsp tom puree as the basis for the topping. Gives the right richness of flavour without being either overpowering or insipid and watery.
I make my own - fry 1 larged chopped onion and chopped garlic to taste, add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes (or unchopped and chop them  :)) and simmer gently to reduce, then puree with a stick blender, season and if you like add herbs.  Freeze in pizza sized portions. probably does about 3 pizzas from 2 tins of toms.

Toppings - roast veg is good - shallot, pepper, courgette, tomatoes, aubergine. (home roasted of course). 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2011, 11:48:43 pm »
We made pizzas at the weekend. My wife made a big batch of dough and I did the rest. On Saturday we had pepperoni. On Sunday we had florentine...

About to go in the oven:

And here's one I made earlier:

Very nice they were too.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:07:43 am »
If you want to go down the scone-recipe based pizza based route it is one of the few things that gluten free flour makes better than normal flour (IMO).

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2011, 12:04:36 pm »
Emily and I often make Naan bread pizzas for dinner.

Plain Naan as the base
Passata + tom purée
variety of random toppings (I like an egg on my pizza and anchovies! Yum!)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:16:02 pm »

So anyway, my favourite topping is gorgonzola, thin wafers of fresh-sliced pear, and a large scattering of chopped walnuts, all on a thin crispy base. Nommy! 8)

I've just tried this recipe,  wow it's really really good.  :thumbsup: