Author Topic: Suntory Yamazaki  (Read 1726 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Suntory Yamazaki
« on: 02 July, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »
My Aussie daughter bought me a bottle for Father's Day/Birthday combined. I have never tried it before, but the purist in me is, quite illogically, mildly offended. I am sure I will get over it, but given that we have such a wealth of excellent malt whisky just up the road, as it were, it seems a shame to send a bottle half way round the world. However, Amazon was the publican. I shall try some after dinner.

I am sure there are plenty of aficionados who have a view about this, but I have to say that something with "Sun" and "Tory" in its name must have some redeeming features!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Suntory Yamazaki
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »
I tried some a few years ago and came to the conclusion that it was nothing special, especially at that price.  Also the name sounds like a motorbike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:39:39 pm »
The Japanese make some excellent whiskies, as do the Indians. Suntory is the Diageo of Japan.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2016, 09:15:23 pm »
I don't know what the Diageo is. This is OK, but not as smooth as the single malts I usually buy (Talisker, A Bhuna, The MacAllan, Laphroaig etc)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:02:29 pm »
Diageo is a rather large company that owns many scotch distilleries like Tallisker and Caol Ila. Suntory own much fewer brands (Laphroaig is probably the most famous), but has several really good Japanese whisky brands in its portfolio.   

Japanese whisky can be of outstanding quality and has an excellent reputation. So like so many other whisky makers they can't keep up with demand and have started making NAS (no age statement) whisky too. If your Yamazaki (probably a NAS) isn't as smooth it is probably because it is younger than the whiskies you are used to.
The 12 yo. Yamazaki I tasted recently had a slight "mouth burn" feeling (as if the alcohol level was higher than it really was) but was otherwise quite civilized.
--
Regards

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2016, 11:14:05 pm »
Drink t, it's good
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2016, 11:21:57 pm »
Don't touch the stuff!  :hand:

I'll take it off your hands next time you pass through London.   O:-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:41:14 am »
I am sure there are plenty of aficionados who have a view about this, but I have to say that something with "Sun" and "Tory" in its name must have some redeeming features!

Maybe on the inside of the label, only visible through the bottle as it empties.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »
I don't know what the Diageo is. This is OK, but not as smooth as the single malts I usually buy (Talisker, A Bhuna, The MacAllan, Laphroaig etc)

[Boggle]

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:35:54 am »
I tried some in oddbins, when Oddbins used to have multiple bottles open for tasting (and enthusiastic staff).

Amazing nose and utterly meh in the mouth. very weird, never tasted anything that smelt so promising and delivered so little.
It may have improved since then.
<i>Marmite slave</i>