Author Topic: Garmin Connect and the Etrex 20  (Read 11080 times)

Garmin Connect and the Etrex 20
« on: 10 January, 2013, 03:40:59 pm »
Has anyone successfully used Garmin Connect with an Etrex 20/30? When I registered on Connect and it asked the details of the device I'm using, it didn't list the Etrex 20. I contacted Garmin tech support who assured me my device was supported by Connect, it was only a case of the Connect welcome page not being updated yet.

However, when I try to upload a track, I get a message along the lines of 'There are no tracks to upload' - even though I know darn well that there are! Before I go back to Garmin, may I ask if anyone else has encountered similar issues?

I'm aware that the Etrex range is not performance focused like the Edge 800 etc, but I would just like to have a look at the records of me powering along at 35kph for hours on end*....

*in my dreams

Hillbilly

Re: Garmin Connect and the Etrex 20
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
I've managed to upload direct from my eTrex20, with the site recognising it automatically (and it being registered).  Have absolutely no idea what I am doing differently to you though.

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2013, 09:08:02 am »
I am talking about an Etres Vista HCX here but that unit asks if you want to connect as an external drive or something like that.  If you say yes, you can access the file on the Etrex thru WE but the unit will not be recongnised by Mapsourse, Connect etc.  Maybe there is something similar with the 20/30.

Could also be the USB lead.  Some are wired differently apparently.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:17:59 am »
There's a menu option - in the System menu - where you can set 'Garmin' or 'Mass Storage' as the default connection method.
Although in practice you nearly always want 'Mass storage' I think it works better to set this menu item to 'Garmin' as this then acts as a 'prompted' mode - setting it to the other disables the prompt and locks you out of 'Garmin' mode forever.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:45:59 am »
It should work in the default mass storage mode. Have you got the latest version of the Garmin Communicator plugin? You could check this page and see if the Etrex is detected: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Or you can choose the "Manual upload" option on Garmin Connect, then pick the correct GPX file.

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:54:02 pm »
Thanks all. I went right back to the beginning, ensured the Etrex was set for choosing Mass Storage mode, and then created a new account in Connect. Downloaded the Communicator plug-in etc and tried again. Success! Thanks for your help and advice.

The only disappointment is that it shows I (overall) averaged 20.2kph on my latest long ride. I could have sworn it was around 35kph. At least, that's what the effort felt like  :)

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:26:42 am »
I had the same problem in the Olympic road race.   :thumbsup:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Re: Garmin Connect and the Etrex 20 - problem has returned
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:56:36 am »
It's happened again....twice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong at the device end.

Basically what I do before a local 'training' ride (where I know the roads and don't use the track/route planning facility) is I open up the Trip Computer, reset it and then ride. On completion of the ride, I go to track manager and save the ride. That's it.

But I'm constantly getting the message from Connect 'there are no new tracks to upload'.

I'm scratching my head here - all advice welcomed.

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »
I had the same problem. I found the tracks in the archive folder. HTH.

Paul.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2013, 08:16:36 am »
Yes at the default factory settings, nothing should ever get totally lost, it auto-archives all the time.
However it is possible to alter these settings which affect the archiving behaviour, and it's also possible to set it to 'not record'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2013, 05:55:18 pm »
I am currently trying to upload a Track Log of a ride I did last week (03.02.2013) for DIY GPS validation. Only rides showing on connect are after the 4th.

The track is on the Etrex 20 unit but has been archived.

Any one got any idea of how I go would go about extracting it?

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2013, 06:50:51 pm »
Thanks Hertswheeler and ff, much appreciated. I'll have another go.

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »
I am currently trying to upload a Track Log of a ride I did last week (03.02.2013) for DIY GPS validation. Only rides showing on connect are after the 4th.

The track is on the Etrex 20 unit but has been archived.

Any one got any idea of how I go would go about extracting it?

'Fraid I can't connect mine up right now to check details (company laptop policy 'n' all that), but there's a manual upload option/button in garmin connect - just browse the internals of the etrex for the right file and select it.