Author Topic: Disc prolapse  (Read 1171 times)

Disc prolapse
« on: 15 April, 2012, 02:32:53 pm »
Ouch. Bent over to pick up the bike for a spin this morning and ping my back went. Been feeling odd since midweek but this today feels like the prolapse 5yrs ago that put me out of upright riding. Lying on my back now drugged up with Valium cocodamol and voltarol. Off to the docs tomorrow.
Wish I had stuck with the piltes now.

Re: Disc prolapse
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2012, 03:14:46 pm »
Bummer. Sorry to hear.

The outlook is good, though. Best of luck.

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »
I sympathise with you, I did mine late in 2008 and after 18 months of drug induced fantasy, it's been ok until this last week, starting to get all sorts of twinges all down my left leg and my lower back is really painful, haven't ridden for a week now

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »
I sympathise with you too, I've had one for a while now had an epidural injection in February and it didn't do any good, now on Gabapentin capsules to see if it will lower my pain, if not surgery maybe possible later in the year.

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
I have been basicallyblyin down zonked on Valium and stuff since Sunday morning and it seems to be doing some good. Problem is how very weak my back feels when I stand up etc. Feels like it's just about to fail.
It's a complete bummer as they say.  I am just hoping that by reacting fast with complete rest I may have staved off the full prolapse thing that happened last time. I have arthritic vertebrae so a ops not feasible apparently.

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2012, 10:08:34 am »
Rest and taking things easy is probably the only option at the moment, I managed to find an old office chair that supported my back as the chair could be tilted back, sat in that for months, still do actually, most comfy chair in the house.

I used one of those belts that's meant to build your stomach muscles up slendertone I think it's called, didn't do much for the waist line but it really did help with my back, pilates is good as well if you can find the right instructor, definitely worth looking in to, and loosing weight if you need to, all helps,  all things for the future though. As you've had experience of this before you probably know all this already, but good luck with it, hope the worst of it passes quickly :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2012, 02:16:34 pm »
Funny you mentioned the electrostim belt. I got one of those last time round. It was great because it killed the pain in the way that thosevthings do for ladies labourpains.
My consultant went bonkers and told me that my use of the belt was what caused my single small prolapse to aggravate into a full on two disc job which hoot so nasty I remember at one point thinking I wok never walk again. Be careful with that kit!
This time I am just using drugs.

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »
Update
I'm on Gabapentin capsules and they are working very well, do a Google on them as there are a few bad sides affects, when I first started to take them I went all dizzy and it felt like walking on air, but that soon passed.
I have to increase my dose, I started on 100mg to 600mg over the next few weeks to get maximum benefit, hopefully I'm going for a ride on the bike tomorrow  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2012, 09:22:05 pm »
I know what you mean about the side affects, I did say to my doctor when he put me on them about the cure being worse than the problem, he said that all drugs companies were listing every conceivable side effect of their drugs to cover their backs if any thing should go wrong, and that the actual number of people affected was so small that it probably wouldn't show up in their trials, bit unfortunate if your unlucky enough to be number one in the 1 in 500,000 that might be affected.
have a look at a box of asprin and see how the warnings changed, a few years ago it was just recommended dose for adults and children over 12  and dont take more than xx in 24hrs, now it's like a prologue for war and peace.  ;D