Author Topic: Anyone had problems with Right Knee pain to outside.  (Read 4776 times)

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
Anyone had problems with Right Knee pain to outside.
« on: 15 April, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »
Hello members
I would like some info on a problem I have with my right knee. I have a very bad pain on the outside of my knee after a long ride.I have had a full bike fit so I'm thinking this is not the problem.
Well LEL done now ready for PBP

Re: Anyone had problems with Right Knee pain to outside.
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »
I think there's a tendon that runs along the outside of the knee where it attaches to the tibia. I've certainly had problems with that being particularly sore when doing Audaxes after a long break. I find that as I get fitter (ha! As if...) the problem goes away.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Bairn Again

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
Hello members
I would like some info on a problem I have with my right knee. I have a very bad pain on the outside of my knee after a long ride.I have had a full bike fit so I'm thinking this is not the problem.

oh yes, sufficient to DNF on the Daylight in 2003 and HBKH in 2010.  My problems typically arise either in early season or when Ive tried to push too high a gear especially on hilly rides.  Ive found that the problem tends to go away with an improvement in general fitness, consciously spinning lower gears and rest.   

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »
sounds like your ITB..  Google for ITB and cycling, there's quite a lot of info on stretches and strength work you can do to help.  None of it fun (foam rollers especially) but it's quite effective!

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »
It certainly sounds like the IT Band, I had this exact problem about a year ago and bought one of the foam rollers from Amazon.  It was a little uncomfortable using it but I didn't need to use it many times and it fixed the problem and touch wood it hasn't returned.  Regular stretching exercises certainly help and slowly building up the miles when you cycle will help.

Good luck

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2012, 01:56:19 pm »
Here are a couple of threads that might be useful:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12841281&p=17494201&

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16818202

I found the foam roller treatment to be very handy and now use it after every very hilly ride (just 10 times or so each leg).  There are some good 'how to' clips on youtube.

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
Hi Jason

I had the same problem a few years ago but found that a week or 2 rest then building up the length of rides strengthened the knee to the point that (touch wood ) I haven't suffered for a few years

Speak soon Luke

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »
I have arthritis/ cartilage damage in my knee, that ITB stabilising is supposed to help.
I have exercises to do, and massage.
Strengthening the stabilising muscles is generally 'a good thing'.
Slow single leg squats, leg raises and bridges.

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
Yeah my ITB frequently gets sore.  Stretching and hot balm helps - but a sadistic physio is even better.

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »
I have a pain on the inside of my knee, but it might be connected to my back problem, any how hope you don't mind me jumping in here, Tewdric, could you recommend such a physio, as we live in a similar part of the world.

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »
I went through all these questions when suffering something very similar some years ago.

It turned out to be something very simple.  I was not stretching after cycle rides.  Some treatment from a private physio and the problem was cured.   The hazard is falling back into old habits and the problem coming back, at which point I start stretching exercises again.

Take a look at the following cheesy video, though a physio will give you specific advice. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hp3mzRadyHA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hp3mzRadyHA&rel=1</a>
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »
Can't remember which brand of hurty knee suits what but I:
point the foot in a slightly different direction (on the pedal)
try to walk more on the outside of my foot
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
Yes....the only time I've had this was on the Midhurst to Hay 600 last year.

I was fine until about 450k then the pain started....absolute agony, but stopped for an hour at the Burbage control where MattC gave me some of his paracetamol which I washed down with El Supermo's soup before I carefully pedalled off for the final 100k to Midhurst.

From memory (which was somewhat vague after 30hrs of cycling), I found it slightly less painful standing on the pedals and pushing a slightly higher gear rather than sitting & spinning...strange, but if/when it happens again I'll know how to deal with it from the above posts!

Cheers,

Peter.

DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:14:56 pm »
I went through all these questions when suffering something very similar some years ago.

It turned out to be something very simple.  I was not stretching after cycle rides.  Some treatment from a private physio and the problem was cured.   The hazard is falling back into old habits and the problem coming back, at which point I start stretching exercises again.

Take a look at the following cheesy video, though a physio will give you specific advice. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hp3mzRadyHA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hp3mzRadyHA&rel=1</a>

My physio told me that latest research is that stretches are only worth doing if you hold them for 30 seconds.
That's way longer than I ever used to.

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »
Yes....the only time I've had this was on the Midhurst to Hay 600 last year.

I was fine until about 450k then the pain started....absolute agony, but stopped for an hour at the Burbage control where MattC gave me some of his paracetamol which I washed down with El Supermo's soup before I carefully pedalled off for the final 100k to Midhurst.

From memory (which was somewhat vague after 30hrs of cycling), I found it slightly less painful standing on the pedals and pushing a slightly higher gear rather than sitting & spinning...strange, but if/when it happens again I'll know how to deal with it from the above posts!

Cheers,

Peter.

That's sounds about right to me I had the same problem. How and what did you do to solve the problem.
Well LEL done now ready for PBP

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:22:26 pm »
I've had exactly the same issue (exacerbated by a car / knee interface a few years ago).  Hurts when I ride long distances; the doc's response was that I shouldn't ride so far.  It's likely to be connected to my hypermobility - do you have double joints?  That can make it worse.

I haven't managed to find anything that prevents it.  It's a bit better if I'm doing regular non-cycling exercise which strengthens your IT band, but at the moment I can't do things like running because of the knee pain - vicious circle. 

So I can't say how to solve it but I can highly recommend Tramadol to deal with it. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »
I get something similar to ITB pain from the muscles slightly lower down on that side of the knee.  After seeing the local friendly sports physio about it, we concluded that while the ITB was somewhat tense, the pain was actually down to me using the wrong muscles to stabilise the foot - resulting from a combination of strange walking technique and unequal leg length (I always stand with my weight on the other leg).  I've so far managed to mitigate this by working on pedalling technique, concentrating on spinning in circles in a low gear, keeping sustained downward force to a minimum.  I've been given exercises in an attempt to improve my foot-stabilising muscles, but I've been bad and not doing them.

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2012, 11:58:39 pm »
Lateral knee pain can be caused by the ITB being tight. I’ve certainly had this problem, but with my left leg almost exclusively. Similar advice to wot fboab said.

« Reply #18 on: 18 April, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »
I've had knee pain for a while now which for someone of my age (22) is an absolute bugger.

My pain is actually on the inside of the knee just below the knee cap. Bloody hard to fix and some days I wake up in agony but other days I'm fine.

I find stretching most days significantly helps. As do wedges and insoles.

I long for the day that I don't have any knee pain though.

« Reply #19 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:44:19 pm »
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

MLB

« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »
Hi, you may be suffering from patella femoral syndrome which in non medical terms is an imbalance between outer quads and the inner quad (VMO). This leads to mistracking of the tendon which extends from the IT band and runs behind the patella (kneecap). the pain manifests iteslf on the outside and front of the cap. About 2 yrs ago i was training like a banshee when wham! extreme pain as above. finished the bryan chapman in great pain and right knee like a balloon. Bye bye LEL 2009. This problem has dogged me for last couple of years as i righted the wrongs of past 35 yrs of over and mistraining.
Causes - overtraining, whether intensity or increases in distance. Good advice on the UMCA site - never exceed the 10% rule i.e. dont ride more than 110% of the previous months total. Every intense session should be followed by recovery  for next few days whether light cycling or rest. Dont be afraid to stand up on hills to avoid grinding your way up..use a higher cadence. Stretch!! after every ride. I stretch for 60 seconds for each and do at least two targetting the IT band. And lastly, possibly the most difficult to achieve if you have a mindset like mine and love the endorphins... have the self control to take days off if your body need it!!
I have managed to do all the above to some degree with the result that after 35 years of not stretching and using the grey matter it has taken two years to have my best season yet and am looking forward to getting faster and fitter without the constant interruptions caused by knee problems.
Good advice about sports physio as well. Keep a training log! Hope this helps. Happy riding.