Author Topic: Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier Sat 22nd  (Read 3467 times)

Martin

Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier Sat 22nd
« on: 18 October, 2016, 01:54:07 pm »
One of the original and still surviving GdS, I've a few cards left; been out with gold paint spraying the leaves too; Note the Hillier just does Ditchling Beacon not the windmills this year, in return for a sweet little number in Balcombe  :demon:

Manotea is your chef for Hot Dogs at Lunchtime  :P

Trains from That London running as normal to Haywards Heath which is a pleasant ride to the start

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier Sat 22nd
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2016, 01:56:10 pm »
I have industrial quantities of tomato ketchup on standby, plus some brown sauce. Will need some mustard. :)

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:00:50 pm »
I have industrial quantities of tomato ketchup on standby, plus some brown sauce. Will need some mustard. :)

got mustard for the hall will get the squeezy stuff; last hot dog I had was in Toronto (also veggie as will be provided on Saturday); they have lots of little dispensers with all sorts of pickles, I trust you have the same  ;)

that gives me an idea for next year; Vlaamse Frites!!  :P :P

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »
hmmm I signed up for the hillier version today. 3rd time... Glad the windmills aren't in this year ;)

cgg

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2016, 11:26:26 pm »
Entered the hillier :)

What's a GdS?

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2016, 11:59:03 pm »
Entered the hillier :)

What's a GdS?

the most wanted badge in the South!

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

(well actually the only one!; but very nice!)

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:55:41 am »
Hi Martin

I'm cycling from Wivelsfield station and, if everything goes to plan, will hit Chailey Hall just before the departure. If things don't go to plan will the hall be open or cards left hidden somewhere? Thanks, Joss.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:50:49 am »
Thanks Joss you just got in, I'm awaiting confirmation of a postal entry and then both events are officially full. As always the cards for any late starters will be available at the 20km checkpoint at Burnt Oak.

« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »
My mate Graham may have emailed you to ask if he can sign on the day. Pretty please let him in :)

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »
My mate Graham may have emailed you to ask if he can sign on the day. Pretty please let him in :)

he's in  :)

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »

he's in  :)

Fab news!! :) weather looks a bit dodgier now but it's all good!

« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »
Just submitted ECE entry.
Feels a bit too late in the year to be setting of at 3:30.

« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
Just submitted ECE entry.
Feels a bit too late in the year to be setting of at 3:30.

Salt tablets in your water bottles will reduce the chance of them freezing solid  :thumbsup:

cgg

« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:06:02 pm »
Wow, what a cracking ride! Thanks Martin et al for the faultless organization :thumbsup:

The ride out from London was swift and nice. I woke up at 3h45, and after much breakfast and a last mental check of "Do I really want to do that..." (you bet!) I set off at 4h20. I rolled into the HQ 3 hours and 76km later. Nice ride with patches of fog here and there and daybreak at the end.

After 1h10 of rest and much tea and biscuits the Audaxes started (I was riding the Hillier). The start was beautiful, with the rising sun piercing through trees (now with full-blown autumn colours) and misty fields left and right, auguring a most beautiful day ahead. I rolled quickly to the first checkpoint 20km in but then the early start and extra km started taking their toll and I was much more reasonable for the rest of the ride. Had an excellent jam doughnut at a lovely bakery in Ardingly, followed by an also excellent hotdog at Staplefield (all those hills weren't gonna climb themselves). I started again after some time and kept on rolling through the sun, grinding slowly up the most benign hills, enjoying the descents and overall just taking in the sun and the scenery. Then Ditchling Beacon loomed larger and larger over the horizon, and soon enough I found myself on my way up there. The view delivered, as always, and after collecting the info control from another rider who arrived shortly before me it was time for the descent, only this time not towards Brighton as I normally do (normally I find this long roll down to the sea to be the best reward for getting up the Beacon, but there will be other times!). After that it was only a matter of 10 km or so to get back to HQ.

Then after 30 min of rest and much tea and food, I took off to London again, motivated by the promises of gentle gradients and a hot shower at the end of it all. And indeed apart from a few stings here and there, the ride back was rolling, despite the earlier tailwind having now become a headwind - but one of a tame kind. Until Coulsdon it was a joy, after it much less so as a solid 30km of traffic-laden London A roads still needed to be dealt with before that shower.

So that's it, overall just a shade under 260km in 13h11. What a day :D

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »
Glad you got back from your first ECE cgg;

another sunny day out for the MSH; it's so good when the views are this good on this ride as this year's edition is my personal favourite (the same as the 2012 Olympic version hence the card logo) as it features the views from not only the Beacon but also Four Counties on Ashdown Forest. Hopefully not too many hapless and clueless pheasants on Rocks / Cherry Lanes after Balcombe?

A ride of this kind is nothing without helpers so a massive thanks to Dave Morrison as Domestic Goddess at Chailey; cover girl on card duty, DaveJ and Mrs DaveJ for card control and emergency Camping Gaz runs at Staplefield and of course Top (hot) Dog Manotea;

more of the same (well hills and hot dogs anyway!) on another rare calendar version of The Reliable next May 20th from Crowborough

cgg

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
Just one pheasant bursting from the left hedge. I also saw a deer on the side of the road on the way in, and a raptor of some sort hovering over the road at some point. Some cats too, and cows asleep on Farthing Downs in the morning.

« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2016, 01:35:31 pm »
Pheasants everywhere for me! Great day out.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2016, 02:56:03 pm »
Expect photos from Tim in the February Arrivee

« Reply #18 on: 18 October, 2019, 11:35:50 am »
Glad I checked the website for the 2019 gps version. A massive route change leading to the hotdog stand! Weather might actually be decent. See you tomorrow (Don't follow me as I have no mudguards!  :P)

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 18 October, 2019, 12:01:27 pm »
Glad I checked the website for the 2019 gps version. A massive route change leading to the hotdog stand! Weather might actually be decent. See you tomorrow (Don't follow me as I have no mudguards!  :P)

Yes the Hillier alternates routes, odd years it's closer to the Hilly (which no longer alternates) with diversions to Kingscote Bluebell Railway station (toot toot!) and direct to Ditchling Beacon after the hot dog stand.

Even years it goes over the top of Ashdown Forest a la AAA Milne and via Rocks Lane in Balcombe, and also does Clayton Windmills  :)

« Reply #20 on: 19 October, 2019, 04:40:27 pm »
Great day out! Extremely lumpy as always with some pretty wild rivers on the road. Didn’t get a visitation which was great as I wouldn’t have fancied changing it! Thanks!!

« Reply #21 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:02:26 pm »
Thanks Martin and Ann for a great day.
Great route, well run, lovely food at the start, middle and end.
An honourable mention to the weather fairy who did their best to keep the temperature reasonablely warm and the rain away.
J

« Reply #22 on: 19 October, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »
Yes many thanks to Martin and Ann for everything, and Paul for the hot dogs too!

Glad I decided to do this instead of a CX event that clashed with it, even if October's relentless rain has done it's best to wash most of the countryside onto the tarmac - kept it rubber-side down though apart from when the puncture fairy called, and sunshine all day so mustn't grumble  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 21 October, 2019, 12:25:30 pm »
Thanks all for supporting, a bit of a disappointing number of no-shows for such a lovely day (with some added white water cycling! although the fields are still mostly dry enough to prevent too much liquid mud flowing onto the roads) but enough riders turned up to make it worthwhile

My thanks to Ann and Huff n Puff at Chailey and Manotea at Staplefield  :)

Martin

« Reply #24 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:41:10 pm »
Some photos from Felix NOTP

Twyford Lane in higher than normal water levels; still quite tame I've seen a car stuck here before

Kingscote station

Feeding frenzy

Clayton windmill (Jill) one for next year!

Looking back at where you've been all day!