Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134579 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13950 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:06:52 am »
I don't suppose I should be shocked any more but really, some people are as thick as shit...

if something squeaks, you smear some grease on it - logical. :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13951 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:16:53 am »
Got my vacuum-cleaner trolley more or less useable. Now waiting for hose junctions & more hose to arrive.

Had to bore 7 mm holes to take castor "spikes".  Measured other old castors and found that they were all 7 mm too. Wonder if it's some kind of standard.

Funny how old castors are always either in groups of 3, groups of 4 with 3 serviceable, or odd orphan singles.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13952 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:01:27 pm »
Serviced a Pinnacle hybrid. Nothing unusual in that but this worthy had GREASED the disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had to replace the brake discs as service items.

They've been soaking in brake cleaner and I cannot get the grease off them. The holes in the discs were full of a paté of grease and brake dust.

I don't suppose I should be shocked any more but really, some people are as thick as shit...

Yebbut - doesn't that fact keep the LBS in business? - I never ceased to be amazed at some of the bikes I see (latest example was a £7,000 eMTB that had most of Warwickshire attached to it + a totally destroyed mech and hanger .... and the bloke had "lost" the key to remove the battery, and the charger)

Rob
Does "lost" the key mean he'd never had the key, cos he'd nicked the bike?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13953 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:46:59 pm »
Serviced a Pinnacle hybrid. Nothing unusual in that but this worthy had GREASED the disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had to replace the brake discs as service items.

They've been soaking in brake cleaner and I cannot get the grease off them. The holes in the discs were full of a paté of grease and brake dust.

Yebbut - doesn't that fact keep the LBS in business? - I never ceased to be amazed at some of the bikes I see (latest example was a £7,000 eMTB that had most of Warwickshire attached to it + a totally destroyed mech and hanger .... and the bloke had "lost" the key to remove the battery, and the charger)

Rob
Does "lost" the key mean he'd never had the key, cos he'd nicked the bike?

Nope - he's a wealthy farmer - who has 2 such bikes "his and hers" - hers was marginally less bad.

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13954 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:53:28 pm »
In that case perhaps it's "lost" in the slurry pool!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13955 on: 16 July, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »
Swapped out the shonky FruitCo Airport Express in the kitchen for the less-shonky one from upstairs.  I haz a Tunes in the kitchen again :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13956 on: 16 July, 2019, 04:48:37 pm »
found the cranks on my utility bike modified by someone backing into it, whilst locked outside to a lamp post:

had to replace the left crank, chainring, chain and straighten the tabs of two spider legs. numpty driver will have to replace their rear light according to the evidence left at the scene.

Jesus! Hopefully just your crank that's knackered and not transfered any damage to the frame.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13957 on: 16 July, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »

Bet they still squeaked, too.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13958 on: 16 July, 2019, 09:51:39 pm »
Having deployed the freezer spray, you are dealing with a solid, as opposed to a semi-solid material, the former of which leaves a garden trowel unmarked.

Water stones are definitely better than oil stones - which is what I deployed previously.

Aren't the stones the same but one soaked in oil, while the other is soaked in water before use?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13959 on: 16 July, 2019, 09:55:41 pm »

Think that soaking in a lighter oil might be a better idea, then maybe fire to burn off the crud.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13960 on: 16 July, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »
Jesus! Hopefully just your crank that's knackered and not transfered any damage to the frame.

no damage to the frame, thankfully

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13961 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:21:33 am »
Think I may have sorted the annoying creaking clicking sound on the folder.

I tightened up the hinge QR
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13962 on: 21 July, 2019, 07:33:03 am »

Bet they still squeaked, too.

No. No they don't...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13963 on: 21 July, 2019, 07:36:59 am »

Think that soaking in a lighter oil might be a better idea, then maybe fire to burn off the crud.

With a labour rate of nominally 20 quid an hour and a disc costing around a fiver I took the executive decision to stop wasting my fucking time and mend something a bit more rewarding...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13964 on: 21 July, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »
A Y shaped lump of rust and split wood into a perfectly functional pair of garden shears. They had been left outside by a relative annoying me on every visit for at least 2 years, possibly 4. 20 minutes with a blowtorch & spanners to separate the halves, 10 minutes with wet & dry to begin followed by a couple of hours with a diamond stone. I even scraped the moss off the handles, rubbed them down and applied some teak oil.

I bet the ungrateful bugger leaves them outside again. If he does I shall take them away 'to sharpen them again' with zero intention of returning them a second time.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #13965 on: 21 July, 2019, 04:35:42 pm »
Having deployed the freezer spray, you are dealing with a solid, as opposed to a semi-solid material, the former of which leaves a garden trowel unmarked.

Water stones are definitely better than oil stones - which is what I deployed previously.

Aren't the stones the same but one soaked in oil, while the other is soaked in water before use?

The abrasive is the same, aluminium oxide, but the binder is different.

With waterstones, the binder is soft and water soluble which is why they are said to be faster cutting because fresh abrasive particles are exposed as you sharpen.

The binder in man made oilstones is much harder and doesn't dissolve in oil or water.

Another abrasive is silicon carbide, I don't think there are silicon carbide waterstones though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13966 on: 22 July, 2019, 06:38:48 pm »
finally worked out the issue with my rear BB7.  It had been intermittently dragging, moslty at the wrong point in the ride.  Despite backing off the adjusters as much as possible and repeatedly trying the centring process it just seemed to be dragging on the outboard side.

Looking closely at it today I worked out that the bottom of the rack was just fouling the pivot arm enough to stop it returning back to the neutral positiion.  An extra spacer has done the job and it's moving freely and has a decent feel to the lever. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13967 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:50:07 pm »
Sorted out the Jump Stop I'd bodged onto the Red Baron to prevent tedious mechanical roulette at the foot of intimidating hills.  I'd replaced the supplied band-on fitting with a 16mm P-clip and a hex-head bolt / nylock arrangement, in order to fit the lower part of the derailleur post.  Unfortunately, while the fit was snug, it wasn't quite tight enough, and it was prone to unwanted rotation when bashed by the wayward chain.  In the absence of adjustability (is there such a thing as a P-clip-hose-clamp hybrid[1]?), I made do with some shim-fu and harsh language; there was a great deal of pingfuckiting by the nut and washers.

[1] Preferably one that can phase through solid matter, as the whole thing's a couple of mm higher than is strictly optimal optimal.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13968 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:23:08 pm »
finally worked out the issue with my rear BB7.  It had been intermittently dragging, moslty at the wrong point in the ride.  Despite backing off the adjusters as much as possible and repeatedly trying the centring process it just seemed to be dragging on the outboard side.

Looking closely at it today I worked out that the bottom of the rack was just fouling the pivot arm enough to stop it returning back to the neutral positiion.  An extra spacer has done the job and it's moving freely and has a decent feel to the lever. 

Hmm, I had no joy trying to sort out my rear BB7 yesterday in a similar fashion after putting in new pads. Had several attempts with no improvement. Was going to have another look tonight but it's too warm.

ElyDave

« Reply #13969 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:07:42 pm »
perhaps BB stands for "bloody bastard" things

if racks are involved get Pingu to pull the brake lever as you peer intently at both the "on" and "off" stroke.  In my case the on was OK, but the off was just being impeded enough to make the difference and cause the drag.

No idea how you folks north of the border are coping, Aberdeen beach must be a mass of bright pink flesh by now

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13970 on: 23 July, 2019, 06:27:29 pm »
Just had another go at it. It wasn't fouling on anything. I don't know why the Park tools instructions weren't working but instead this time I left the pads where they were, undid the caliper bolts and waggled it until it looked right. Then I trimmed using the pad adjusters. Seemed to work ok.

It's not too hot outside, the breeze is pretty cooling. A bit sticky indoors though.

ElyDave

« Reply #13971 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:51:14 pm »
I have two old hardwood/canvas directors chairs, given to me by patents when I stopped being a pso and bought a house, but couldn't afford furniture. they took the place of a sofa for about two years.

I've spent bits of today cleaning down the frames with white spirit and then applying a first coat of teak oil, second coat tomorrow. they are still in great nick, though the canvas is significantly faded

« Reply #13972 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:19:54 pm »
Picked up a "badUSB" USB dongle thing that has an AVR microcontroller in it.

Pulled it apart and inspected it, reflashed the bootloader with a known good one from the Arduino distribution over the ISP so it has trusted code on it, then wrote a new bit of application software that pretends it is a mouse (USB HID device) and moves 1 pixel up and down at a random interval between 10 and 20 seconds.

The movement is not noticeable, except to the OS. However, it stops the OS from dimming or locking the screen, and/or going to sleep. Really useful for when taking part in a web conference where you aren't touching your computer, or a demo where you are showing something from your machine - no need to keep moving the mouse or pressing a key to stop the machine locking.

You could do the same thing going in to settings, but then you've got to remember to switch it back. This way you just plug in a device to stop it locking and unplug when you are happy for auto locking to start again. And it works on all my machines, regardless of OS installed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13973 on: 24 July, 2019, 12:42:24 am »
Tightened the loose BB in HK's Kinesis. Better than having to replace it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13974 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:35:33 am »
Picked up a "badUSB" USB dongle thing that has an AVR microcontroller in it.

Pulled it apart and inspected it, reflashed the bootloader with a known good one from the Arduino distribution over the ISP so it has trusted code on it, then wrote a new bit of application software that pretends it is a mouse (USB HID device) and moves 1 pixel up and down at a random interval between 10 and 20 seconds.
[...]

Cute.  I've got a little widget in my toolbar that inhibits sleep.  Main issue is forgetting you've enabled it, but that would go for a dongle too.

One thing I've thought would be cute would be to implement a Synergy server on some sort of WiFi-enabled small micro that can do the HID thing.  You could then use it to control Androids and employer's laptops with oppressive security models etc.