Author Topic: New to the UK - wanting to start racing - advice needed  (Read 2249 times)

New to the UK - wanting to start racing - advice needed
« on: 04 June, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »
Hi all.

Long story short, I am now in the UK, having moved from South Africa, to the Middle East for 5 years, and then here to North Yorks with my wife.

Back in SA, I was racing - B and C cat. I'd like to get in to road racing here. The problem is that the whole system seems so very different to what I'm used to, I have no idea where to start.

I now live in Northallerton, and I have a lot of training to do, to get close to the fitness level that I was before I left SA, however, I'm willing to put in the hours to get back to a racing fitness level.

Any advice on where to or how to start racing again?

Thanks

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: New to the UK - wanting to start racing - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2016, 02:25:28 pm »
Join a club, get BC membership/racing licence

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2016, 04:55:57 pm »
Hambleton RC is based in Northallerton. They'd be a good place to start.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2016, 08:15:41 pm »
You need a racing licence. Joining a club is a good idea but not essential.
British Cycling's website www.britishcycling.org.uk will have details of how to get the licence and a directory of local clubs. Asking at local bike shops about clubs in the area is another thing you could do. I suspect it's not that different from SA.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »
Hambleton RC is based in Northallerton. They'd be a good place to start.

Run by the local bike shop (Cowleys).

Welcome to the forum and welcome to North Yorkshire. Maybe you can join us on a social ride on Wednesday? We start in Romanby.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:20:05 pm »
As others have said, join British Cycling.  You need to be a Silver or Gold member to be able to get a race licence (£42 or £72 if you don't get a discount somewhere).  You then need to buy the licence on top (£37).  If you join a club first, there is often a discount on the BC membership for new-to-BC club members. Once you've joined, paid and put a photo up they will send out the licence within the week.  You will also receive the BC handbook, which will tell you the rules of racing all the different disciplines.  Most riders don't read the book, but there are useful bits for knowing what's what (I have read it cover to cover, but I'm a sad-sack commissaire).

British Cycling have an article for people wanting to get into road racing here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/20131213-Get-into-road-racing-0?c=EN

You don't actually need a licence to race a BC event, but day membership is £5 per event for Silver/Gold members, and £10 for non-members or bronze members for regional events.  A licence is required for any national level event.

There are 2 main types of road race - closed circuit and road race.  Closed circuit is basically crit-style racing, either on a closed road (short section, lots of laps), or on a specific racing circuit. These are usually quite flat, and a good way to get into racing.  If you get dropped out the back, the laps are usually small enough that the group will catch you again and you can see how long you can stay in the pack again (as long as lapped riders aren't interfering with the race outcome).  Road racing is self-explanatory, but is very rarely on closed roads in the UK.  The main race is protected by the convoy cars and the marshals will stop traffic at turns for those riders in the group.

Have a look on the British Cycling website for upcoming events. You'll start at Cat 4 - if you enter events online the system only lets you enter events you are eligible for. If there are some in your area, Cat 4 only, or 3/4 events are good starter events.  Also evening closed circuit races.  These are usually E/1/2/3/4 (i.e. everybody), and are fixed time events, rather than fixed distance.  These tend to have a smaller field, and can be quite varied in rider ability.

I don't know the Yorkshire scene, but York has a closed circuit. I think Middlesbrough also has one.  If you are able to race in the week, I'd definitely recommend trying a weekday circuit race to give your legs a test. It will give you an idea of what sort of other riders are about in your area.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:58:25 pm »
I should point out that marshals do not (except in specific circumstances) have the authority to stop traffic. They can ask traffic to stop but cannot require it to do so.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2016, 10:09:49 pm »
I'm not sure what they do in Scotland, but most regions in England and Wales now use accredited marshals at junctions who are specifically allowed to stop traffic.  They have the same authority as a police officer stopping traffic (in the specific circumstance within a designated race, for up to 2 minutes at a time).  Driving past them is a motoring offence.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2016, 11:16:43 pm »
Local circuits near you:

Croft motor racing circuit is closest, between Northallerton and Darlington.  Search for Velo 29 as they seem to run a number of races on there.
Prissick is in Middlesbrough, I don't really know much about what goes on there.
York has a circuit at the university - search for York Sport.
Out on the open road, there's the North Yorkshire Evening Road Race League

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2016, 09:25:39 pm »
I'm not sure what they do in Scotland, but most regions in England and Wales now use accredited marshals at junctions who are specifically allowed to stop traffic.  They have the same authority as a police officer stopping traffic (in the specific circumstance within a designated race, for up to 2 minutes at a time).  Driving past them is a motoring offence.
I was aware it was the case in Essex and Wales, but hadn't realised it was now England-wide. Does it depend on the police force rather than the BC region?

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2016, 11:08:02 am »
Yes, most of England is now covered.  There are still some regions without them.  It is dependent upon the police forces (or groups of police forces), who run the training and issue the authority to stop traffic.  BC are quite keen on pushing it forward - with increasing traffic on roads the alternative of using red flag marshals doesn't work that well on most courses any more.

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:26:31 pm »
I must push my local RDO to find out what SC are doing about accredited marshals. We still have nice quiet roads (70+miles and see single digit cars) so not so much pressure here.
The chance of Police Scotland doing anything helpful are slim.