Author Topic: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes  (Read 6686 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes
« Reply #25 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:27:42 pm »
I've not done a 600 DIY but have contemplated it, as well as El's 1000, and the thinking would be to book a Travelodge at 350km, (a) to get some proper sleep and (b) to have a hot shower.  Did use this option on Flatlands a couple of years ago and would do again.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:29:39 pm »
I think you may have confused Sudocrem (bum cream) with Sudafed (pseudoephedrine decongestant in cough/cold remedy)!

Useful advice. Film canisters are less common than in my youth.

I cleaned my nethers with a flannel/strip wash at controls but personally never had a shower.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:46:55 pm »
Please retain excellence and helpfulness to all.

Many Audax riders are not steel robots!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 21 August, 2019, 01:17:03 pm »
Allinson's yeast comes in tins a similar size and shape to old film canisters. Perhaps a little bigger, it's a long time since I saw a film canister. Or as people have said, similar things are available in plastic from Sistema, Nalgene, etc. Not to mention from hotels and even commercially available cosmetics containers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »
Further, there is of course WarmShowers - if you got in touch with someone and said you wouldn't be wanting to stay long, just have a wash, you might get the OK!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
Assuming that either your speed is reliable or the host is prepared to wait for you if you're 'late' :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bludger

« Reply #31 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:05:46 pm »
Assuming that either your speed is reliable or the host is prepared to wait for you if you're 'late' :)
I mean if you're doing an audax you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be more than an hour or two late, you know what route you're doing and in my experience if you forewarn a host that you're doing a challenging ride they'll be forgiving.

The last time I used WS the two hosts were both audaxers and organisers themselves!

Ban cars.

« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:18:53 pm »
I arranged to drop in on my parents in the middle of a DIY 400. I was looking forward to a shower, some food and a quick nap.

Unfortunately they were having the bathroom and kitchen retiled so I couldn't have a shower or make myself any food. I had to nip back out to the local chippy, got less sleep than I wanted and ended up giving in to the train about 4 hours after restarting. Still annoyed at that DNF, I should have pushed on through.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:00:08 pm »
Oops...Yes - I mixed the cough remedy with the bottom cream - sorry to anyone who has tried either or both  at the wrong end... :-*

However - A further resource: https://www.warmshowers.org/

A cyclists' international  hospitality organisation!

One might wish to exercise the usual personal safety cautions...

… but it might be a good one to know about because members are probably up to speed on other local services such as bike shops etc.

« Reply #34 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:08:55 pm »

As a user of 35mm film, if any YACFer wants film canisters *and is prepared to pay the stupid amount of postage* then PM me. I was giving them to a craft group, but cyclists' backsides are a far more worthy cause.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #35 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
Sudocrem is widely available in small squeezy tubes. Just don't get it mixed up with the similarly sized toothpaste tubes (easily done after 36 hours on the road).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #36 on: 23 August, 2019, 09:12:36 am »
Motorway services are legally required to have washrooms and often there are shower facilities.
Not to be confused with the usual toilets next to MacDonalds or BurgerKing.
Truckers use them.
Motorway services are also legally required to be open 24 hours a day so make ideal nightime destintations.
May need to ask where and only once in 25 years have I had to be issued a key. I left my watch as the deposit.

Motorway services have 'service' access for utilities, staff, etc. so if anyone who can construct a DIY route should have no difficulty in finding them.
For fucks sake be careful though as motorists won't be expecting a cyclist....

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:42:51 pm »
When the Bristol to Barry FNRttC called at Severn Bridge services ~1am. on a Saturday, only the filling station and its shop and toilet were open. No showers, no hot food.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #38 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:12:00 pm »
Hereward the Wake 300 from Dunmow uses Newport Pagnell services to good effect... at least I assume everything was open there this year, I haven't managed to do this ride for a while which is a shame as it's a good one.

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:34:28 pm »
As above campsite shower blocks are suitable if you do some pre planning.  In fact when we were young my dad used to camp for free in a farmers field in Wales and take us up the road to the posh campsite for a shower. If you are confident and look like you should be there, no one questions it.

I've also skinny dipped on some of the longer audaxes but I won't say where and when. No soap though as that'd pollute, just to wash the dried salt and sweat off, and wake up a but etc. I'm always discrete and it's usually at night, so don't worry anyone who sees me on my next 400,600 or longer ...

You can blame the latter on years of bivvying whilst mountaineering and climbing, staying up high near tarns and mountain streams etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:49:38 pm »
As above campsite shower blocks are suitable if you do some pre planning.  In fact when we were young my dad used to camp for free in a farmers field in Wales and take us up the road to the posh campsite for a shower. If you are confident and look like you should be there, no one questions it.

I assume this is why C&CC sites all have digital locks on the wash blocks...

Phil W

« Reply #41 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »

I assume this is why C&CC sites all have digital locks on the wash blocks...

Which they put the code to on the notes in their open info booths

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #42 on: 23 August, 2019, 11:58:32 pm »
Funnily enough this came up as an Instagram ad and may solve your shower issue, just add water

https://hikingaction.com/products/camping-pro-inflatable-shower?fbaid=23843644861050249

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bludger

« Reply #43 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:06:13 pm »
I wonder how good a wash I could give myself with a pair of water bottles, a small towel and a bar of soap if I was in a desperate strait 🤔

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:26:19 pm »
I wonder how good a wash I could give myself with a pair of water bottles, a small towel and a bar of soap if I was in a desperate strait

On the couple of occasions[1] I've showered with the contents of my 4 litre Ortlieb water bag, it's been enough for a reasonable body wash, or a barely adequate hair wash.  YHMV.

Of course that helps by being designed for the purpose, in that you can dangle it from something convenient and regulate the flow through a spray cap.  Squirting yourself with a bidon is likely to be less water-efficient.

Wet wipes (or a bowl of water and a cloth) are a bit more practical, especially if you don't want to splash water everywhere, or don't know where your towel is.

[1] Both times were in actual showers with a defective water supply rather that the authentic under-a-tree wild camping experience.

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:27:16 pm »
I wonder how good a wash I could give myself with a pair of water bottles, a small towel and a bar of soap if I was in a desperate strait 🤔

If you are in a strait you will have a plentiful supply of water anyway ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 25 August, 2019, 01:50:34 pm »
I'd have thought that if you've only got a bottle or two's worth of water, it would be more effective to wet a cloth and wash that way. Hospital bed style.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 25 August, 2019, 03:23:34 pm »
I'd have thought that if you've only got a bottle or two's worth of water, it would be more effective to wet a cloth and wash that way. Hospital bed style.

It is. I find wet wipes tend to dry out, are heavy (you are carrying water effectively), and in winter, freeze.

I've taken to carrying compressed coin towels (https://amzn.to/2ZqohWP), They are about the same size as a mint, you add water, and they expand out into a wash cloth, ready to use. On a multiweek trip, I carry a couple of dozen in my frame bag, just by putting them in at the top when I have finished packing, and letting them fill all the spaces between everything else in there. By the end of the tour any that are left will have worked their way to the bottom corner. They weigh next to nothing, but are very effective.

Couple them with a flake of soap (https://amzn.to/2KFEJKs), and you have a basic wash kit for doing the pits and bits, when bivviing.

Very water efficient. Also in winter, you can use warm water from when you make tea, to have a hot wash.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 25 August, 2019, 03:28:23 pm »
Good idea!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #49 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:03:46 pm »
I think you may have confused Sudocrem (bum cream) with Sudafed (pseudoephedrine decongestant in cough/cold remedy)!

I cleaned my nethers with a flannel/strip wash at controls but personally never had a shower.

At least in France pharmacies and medical testing labs have white screw-top plastic containers, peeing for the use of, that can be acquired (preferably unused or very well sterilised) and make handy containers. Fish food for acquariums also comes in handy screw topped containers of varying sizes (again needing thorough cleaning before re-use).
Given french summer weather I would be tempted to shower at a tap by the roadside if I had/could plan my route to pass such facilities. Indeed I have done this but only for head to waist so far. Dutch or scottish winter might encourage me to review my technique though.