Author Topic: [HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)  (Read 76172 times)

Re: More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« Reply #200 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:17:04 am »
gosh, isnt this new thread going well? :)

It and other threads go so much better with free speech, lack of insinuation as to worthyness in comment and constructive criticism.

Why don't you discuss this current record attempt as the thread title says, stop doing the old "passive aggressive" bollocks, eh? Now there's a good chap!

I will repeat, what is he doing, it is to beat the 76076 miles, is as mentioned ^^^^^^^ to beat Tommy's consecutive 365 day record?  I need educating here as my memory fails me with old age, what is that record?

Also for the record I fully support Steve, I have followed his ups and downs from day 1, read every thread on here about it, followed faceache, been stunned by Jo's graphics and been amazed by a lot of mantra and pig headed view points on here from people who appear to be unable to accept what is happening to Steve re: "the record attempt".

I don't know Steve, I don't know;

What's driving him,
What his aims are,
Whether he's enjoying this,
Whether he thinks this is a rather nice long bike ride paid for by others?

If i met him I would have so many questions.

What I do know is:

I am in awe of what he has achieved.

I'm also afraid that what he is doing this now is an attempt to "save face", which from my view point he doesn't have to.

Well I do know Steve, and I did contribute.  I think that does give me more right to comment on what Steve does with the funds that somebody who hasn't contributed. I also found that your comment to which mattc objected could be construed as containing a rather unpleasant insinuation about Steve. I don't know you, and I don't know whether that was what you intended.

For you, perhaps, this thread is the opportunity to sound off about something. But there is somebody out there at this very moment trudging on in sub-zero temperatures whilst you give the world the benefit of your opinion from the comfort of your home. It is highly likely that that person reads (or read) these pages so it behoves you, as somebody who doesn't know Steve and hasnt put anything into this, to think very carefully about how you word your comments.

Righto BOSS ! :thumbsup:

You assume that I haven't contributed therefore have no right to have a view - pull your head out of your pompous arse, please, and i refuse to be bullied into saying whether I have, or continue to fund, so you can stop that line of attack now......

I can have my view as well as you or Mattc, you don't own Steve, he's not YOUR precious child to be protected, he's a big lad, if he reads this, i say great.

My view is that he will not succeed in beating 76076 miles in 365 consecutive days, nor will he beat Tommy's record, but that doesn't mean that I don't WANT him to.

You might not like MY view, but grow up and accept that people with views other you and your brother in arms' do have an equal right to comment.

« Reply #201 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:21:34 am »
OK. First impression confirmed. You won't hear from me again.

« Reply #202 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:31:14 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #203 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:34:36 am »
I see that the bullies are back in the playground.

hillbilly

« Reply #204 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:36:39 am »
We're better than this.

« Reply #205 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:43:31 am »
Clearly not.  Once is careless ...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #206 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:46:18 am »
Seems to be descending into the usual "you can have any opinion you like, as long as you agree with me" kind of free speech.

And here's me thinking we were in the 21st century.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hillbilly

« Reply #207 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:48:39 am »
I would suggest going for a bike ride, but it's icy and surely nobody would venture out in this. Oh....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #208 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:53:10 am »
Many of his supporters (certainly on FaceBook) are regularly praising him for doing it the "real" way - i.e. as opposed to how Kurt broke the record, which they presumably think was cheating in some way.

Some people don't like to think. Such is life.

The rot started with this. Not a nice post at all.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #209 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:55:16 am »
I may be wrong but I think that Katie Hopkins has infiltrated YACF and is trying to get thst bloody cyclist off the roads!

« Reply #210 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:56:35 am »

Indeed - you need to ask MattH to stop posting.  He's been chief bully and instigator of all nastiness on these threads for the past year.  If you don't believe me then I suggest you review the two threads and see where the unpleasantness starts and who is responsible.

Or perhaps you will make an exception for him because his views concur with yours?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #211 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:06:18 am »

Indeed - you need to ask MattH to stop posting.  He's been chief bully and instigator of all nastiness on these threads for the past year.  If you don't believe me then I suggest you review the two threads and see where the unpleasantness starts and who is responsible.

Or perhaps you will make an exception for him because his views concur with yours?
Yeah, mattH is a runt!! Kill him with sticks!

Oops, wrong Matt.
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #212 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:08:46 am »

I think that's a bit uncalled for, PB whilst not agreeing with other opinions, to me has respected the right of others to disagree. 

Others have gone down the route of I know Steve better than you, or if you're not funding you can't have a view
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #213 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:20:58 am »
Soo ..any thoughts on the record attempts?

Does anyone know what Bruce is carrying with him...I can see he mentions wrecked tyres...anyone know if he or a fellow rider is carrying spares ect or if he has a replacement bike available at short notice?   

Another 212 miles from him at 18.7 again...seems to be his comfort zone at the mo.  Again his strava data shows explosive efforts on the flat with pretty modest speeds up what he says are very gradual climbs.   Again he gets a hugs number of free, downhill, very fast miles later in the day.   

« Reply #214 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:23:08 am »
There are aggressive snd passive aggressive posters on both sides.   

You don't actually know my view because I don't wear it like a badge of honour, puff out my chest and tell all those with an opposing view to fuck off and get a life.

I have read both tbreads and I find the lack of excellence disturbing.  It seems to me that there is a band of posters who are determined to undermine Steve and his team no matter what Steve and the team does.   Nothing is good, nothing is right, Steve will fail, why should he have all this time to ride his bike on the back of his sponsors, etc., etc., etc.    The most ridiculous and farcical bit is when these posters damm Steve with faint praise and profess to support him.

These people do not like to have their view challenged and make this place something it is not and should not become.    They will trot out the usual freedom of speech cobblers to justify their right to remain nasty.   Very tory tabloid, very Katie Hopkins, very vulgar.

Before the mods decide to lock this thread too, might I suggest that ALL concerned reconsider why and how they post in here.   After all, this is not POBI.   It is possible to express opinions with considered reason rather than with contemptuous malice.

Personally I don't think that I will post in here again, rather leave it to the nasty crew.

« Reply #215 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:26:37 am »

Personally I don't think that I will post in here again, rather leave it to the nasty crew.

That would be nice...not because you are nasty, or that I am nasty....more that you never actually post anything interesting about any of the record attempts ...  and personally that's all I am here for.

If a few more could take your lead and stick to it that would be lovely

« Reply #216 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:27:16 am »

I think that's a bit uncalled for, PB whilst not agreeing with other opinions, to me has respected the right of others to disagree. 

Others have gone down the route of I know Steve better than you, or if you're not funding you can't have a view

Err no....if that is my post you are commenting on I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that expressing a view is not without effect on others, including Steve, and if the expression of that view has negative consequences then it needs to be considered carefully, especially if the person expressing that view is an uninvolved observer.

Talk is cheap.

« Reply #217 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:28:15 am »
Oh FFS people.

Given the title of this thread, people are allowed to give their thoughts. Guess what, some people's opinions don't match yours. Some may even think what Steve is doing is wrong, or he's doing it wrong. They're allowed to think that and say it.

Steve has a login to this forum, and if he wants can look here and respond himself.

Get off your high horses and let people have opinions without taking moral high grounds and managing to take offense (often on behalf of others).

It's like listening to a playground conversation between a bunch of 10 year old girls sometimes.

How about people posting about the record attempt, and taking inter-member bitching somewhere else?

[Edit - correcting a typo.]

« Reply #218 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:32:11 am »
Soo ..any thoughts on the record attempts?

Plus one.
It would be nice to have more pleasant postings and refrain from quite a lot of bitterness to each other.  If all that surplus energy were directed more towards Steve's goal I think this forum would be all the better!  The other thread was locked by the LOCKERARATOR  (I mean Moderator) and this one be could suffer the same fate.  So fellow cyclists more kindliness and respect for the views of others  'Have a nice day '!

« Reply #219 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:53:10 am »

A handful of members are determined to post about anything other than the record attempt.

Banning them from the thread for a few weeks would prove my point.

As regards the attempt, I make it Steve needs about 209 miles a day for the rest of the month to make his (revised downwards) target for January.

At some point he is going to have to start banging in 200+ days, day after day after day.

He's shown little sign of being able to do that, the weather will inevitably continue to be crappish for a while, so I see him falling further and further behind schedule.

Viewed another way, he needs about 225 miles a day, every day, for 200+ days.

He managed that one day this week, but his elapsed time was 23+ hours.

However you play with the numbers, the record is out of reach.

« Reply #220 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:06:32 am »
It's so very hard to judge in this weather and at this time of year. Our bodies naturally want more sleep during the longer nights of winter, no matter we try and force them into a rigid regime. Riding in the cold is harder work, trying to keep warm, concentrating more on road conditions etc etc. It's such a shame the first attempt was derailed just as the warmer weather approached - though it wasn't much of a summer. I'm not sure Steve will be able to beat Godwin, let alone Kurt, but I think using the coldest month of the year as a yardstick to judge the attempt on is maybe premature. Or perhaps the restart was premature and could have waited to Jan 1st this year. Whatever, I think the attempt deserves a bit of leeway yet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #221 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:06:51 am »
Does anyone know what Bruce is carrying with him...I can see he mentions wrecked tyres...anyone know if he or a fellow rider is carrying spares ect or if he has a replacement bike available at short notice?   

I guess he just means he changed the tyres at the end of the day as he noticed they were wrecked. Or he stopped in at a bike shop to do it. I don't think he's carrying spare tyres with him just in case.

I've had similar on long rides. Start off and the tyres look fine, by the end there are big patches of carcass visible:-

http://www.greenbank.org/misc/reartyre1.jpg

I rode on the above for 200 miles on LEL09 until I got to my Dalkeith bagdrop that had a spare tyre in it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #222 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:07:57 am »
We really need two separate threads on this: one to discuss the record attempt and another to discuss the discussion about the record attempt :-D

LMT

« Reply #223 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:09:17 am »
193 miles yesterday and Steve mentioned something about some busted tri bars. He left a hotel in Kings Lynn around 0940hrs and is on the road, hope he managed to do some sort of botch job with the bars to make life a little easier.

I think it's a fairly calmer day today weather wise, albeit cold so it'd be interesting to see if he can hit target.

« Reply #224 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:11:47 am »
A reminder:

ad hominem
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person (or presumably group of people) rather than the position they are maintaining.

just leave it out...

Back to Steve, or others.

edit
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson