Author Topic: pink floyd  (Read 1207 times)

pink floyd
« on: 25 May, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
just watching a documentary about the floyd, bit depressing really, especially when they were talking about Syd,

Re: pink floyd
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2012, 01:23:35 am »
Wish You Were Here

One of my all time favourite songs ever.

That bit about Syd Barrett turning up to Abbey Road in the middle of recording the Album and nobody recognises him....at first!

I can watch documentarys about bands until the cows come home.
Garry Broad

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2012, 02:00:45 am »
In (I think) 1979 I swiped my brother's copy of Dark Side of the Moon and, lying on the floor, arranged the speakers either side of my head.

I was (and remained, for a while) into all sorts of music, but that album was one of those moments. I know Syd wasn't there, but - with or without him - PF was an important band for a while.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
I'm not a great fan.
Really can't get into Dark Side Of The Moon, but really like the Wall and Wish You Were Here.

Saw Roger Waters The Wall gig last year, an amazing show.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2012, 11:35:37 am »
I was (and suppose still am) a big Pink Floyd fan, but the music makes me feel sad now.  I prefer visiting Battersea Power Station to digging out my vinyl.  Nevertheless I watch anything about the band on telly.  I don't think this documentary had been shown before.  It was made in 2012.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »
I am a fan but...Syd leaving the band was probably the best thing that happened to them, since they seemed to learn how to play their instruments afterwards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »
Nevertheless I watch anything about the band on telly.  I don't think this documentary had been shown before.  It was made in 2012.
There was a very similar one recently (last year?) on the Beeb. That photo of Sid (without eyebrows) was new to me, so there was probably other new bits in there.

Good stuff though.

Can't be arsed with a new thread - the recent "Making of ..." strand had an excellent episode about  Peter Gabriel's "So". Worth a watch if repeated (for fellow prog fans!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2012, 07:02:28 pm »

There was a very similar one recently (last year?) on the Beeb. That photo of Sid (without eyebrows) was new to me, so there was probably other new bits in there.

Yes, I thought there had been something very similar recently.  Most of it wasn't new.  But I still enjoyed it.  Roy Harper's comments, the chap (name?) who produced the album were new to me and very interesting.
I'd also not seen that photo of Sid before.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:50:25 am »
I always like those Classic Albums shows because they sometimes play stuff you haven't heard or the engineer will 'solo' vocals or guitar and you can hear it outside the mix - like the vocal on Have a cigar. The Who's Next edition was good in that way as Townshend was able to solo the drums in/out of the mix and you could hear various nuances. Similarly the recent P.gabriel for 'SO' Steely Dan recreated the songs in the studio with the band for Gaucho. Dave Gilmours houseboat/studio - superb.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:07:27 pm »
Syd Barrett leaving the band didn't exactly hurt them did it?
Maybe they would have been crap if he'd stayed.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »
I've often pondered on that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.