Author Topic: Taking Brompton on crowded commuter train  (Read 1717 times)

Taking Brompton on crowded commuter train
« on: 15 October, 2023, 12:04:20 pm »
How would you actually do this? Do you find a standing space and put the Brompton down in front of your feet? And what about if the is train is "full", ie no standing space but not jammed packed?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Taking Brompton on crowded commuter train
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2023, 12:37:13 pm »
I’m fortunate because my trains are rarely that packed but when have been I’ve just found a space for rage both of us.

If it’s really crowded I will wait for the next train, but that depends on the frequency or give up on the train and ride, but that depends on how far you’re going.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2023, 01:38:15 pm »
I find usually on a "full" train there is still standing space inside the carriage away from the doors. I would try to "squeeze" past all the people who stand around the doors. But I think I wouldn't be all that comfortable doing that with a Brompton.

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2023, 08:48:06 pm »
I’m fortunate because my trains are rarely that packed but when have been I’ve just found a space for rage both of us.

If it’s really crowded I will wait for the next train, but that depends on the frequency or give up on the train and ride, but that depends on how far you’re going.
This. People are usually understanding and try to move aside. If someone is unnecessarily blocking the luggage space, and I can reach it, I'll ask for access. Sometimes I end up standing over the folded bike. And occasionally, it's so full that I have to wait for the next train.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:32:33 pm »
On an overfull train, I stand straddling the B.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:40:39 pm »
Yes, that's what I meant by standing over it, but I wasn't very clear.

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2023, 09:46:40 am »
If there's luggage space that the Brompton will go in, and it is near enough to the doors then I found "Excuse me, could I please put my bike in the rack there" usually got me access. Helped by the fact that I'm still quite grumpy at that time in the morning...

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2023, 11:24:01 am »
I would recommend going on an uncrowded train with your bike to see where it is likely to fit best, there are numerous places like the sides of seat, between rows and the like which may work well, you won't be able to do that in rush hour.