Author Topic: Bastille folder  (Read 1511 times)

Bastille folder
« on: 20 November, 2023, 09:15:33 am »
https://bastillecycles.com/

This came up on a Facebook feed. It looked interesting - at first!

Perhaps someone would like to post a comment or two before I weigh in. For interest the pre-command price  was  IIRC about 2600€ if one searched as far as the pre-command bit.

Re: Bastille folder
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2023, 09:25:10 am »
Looks like it has rather a lot of pivots in which slop will inevitably develop.

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2023, 10:26:49 am »
I’m sure I’m seen previous kickstarters etc trying to make this idea happen. Or maybe it’s all the same people.

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2023, 08:04:08 pm »
 I was quite taken with the idea of a large-wheeled folder - but this beast is heavy (15kgs) and only a good old SA 3sp (I'm assuming the modern equivalent of an AW) with a Gates belt (presumably Alfine belt drive sprockets) and discs. I am not convinced by hydraulic discs on a folder which could be held or stood in multiple orientations - it sounds to have potential for air migrating in circuits (also an unnecessary complication on a machine claiming to be "low tech"). I notice the lady in the photos wheeling it folded on its own wheels, which I suspect might be the best way of moving it folded - until you have to bag it! Finally I wouldn't want to be a 1m90 rider on a 50cm frame with a slammed stem (it doesn't appear to be telescopic like the vast majority of folders out there).

What this is is a good old-fashioned bicyclette, except that the builders don't even have enough pride in their frenchness to admit that the tyres are really meant to be 650b demi-ballon, the three gears beloved of bicyclettes are not dérailleur and the brakes are not cable operated and really ought to be drums if not rim. I suppose that it will appeal to BCBG parisiens, will probably get folded once in it's lifetime (unless it is stored in an appartement and transported in the lift) and might just get used, until the owner discovers that an electric Brompton is better fitted for the purpose.

First hurdle - getting enough pre-orders to pay for a production run without actually needing to put lots of cash up front.

For those who think that an Airnimal with 26" wheels would be much better - it undoubtedly would - there isn't an Airnimal distributor in France AFAIK, although I think there is in Belgium.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2023, 02:51:08 pm »

For those who think that an Airnimal with 26" wheels would be much better - it undoubtedly would - there isn't an Airnimal distributor in France AFAIK, although I think there is in Belgium.

Mine is certainly a good rail commuter and audaxer so far, including it's cable operated discs.  Not that I bother folding it for the 12 minutes between Ely and Cambridge North
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2023, 08:55:10 pm »
I hear they give a storming ride ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2023, 08:20:29 pm »
I hear they give a storming ride ;D
Boo!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.