Author Topic: What 29er?  (Read 5234 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
What 29er?
« on: 12 February, 2009, 02:41:28 pm »
I'd like to get a new to me bike

I do not have any off road bikes at the moment. I have 3 road bikes including an ancient single speed. I ride the single speed all round the year in all weathers and it is looking a bit manky.

So I'd like to get something to replace it. One possiblity is getting a 29er MTB. I prefer the idea of big wheels and some of my stock of 700C 28mm tyres would fit on them. At some point I'd like to fit a hub gear like an alfine but initially a single speed would be fine.

Not sure about forks. I'd be mostly on the road ( crappy lanes actually ) but this might be nice.

Another plus for a 29er as opposed to another road bike is that I can fit ice tyres next winter.

The budget isn't decided yet but it won't be a titanium bike

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: What 29er?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2009, 02:51:23 pm »
How about a Singular Swift?

Singular Cycles

Should do fine as either single-speed or hub-geared?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »
I've got an on-one scandium, it's a very nice bike.  I had their steel 29er before but it was quite flexible and felt quite heavy.  The ally frame is much tighter, probably helps that it actually fits - the steel one was a 19.5" and too big (I have a 580mm top tube on a road bike - these things are huge)  this is an 18" and feels much better.

It would be a rubbish touring bike, there are no rack mounts and only one bottle mount (I think), but as a 29er it's great.  is it better than a 26" bike?  Marginal...  it's certainly better over roots and bumps but feels slower on tight twisty bits.

with alfine:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2009, 03:59:55 pm »
I've got an on-one scandium, it's a very nice bike.  I had their steel 29er before but it was quite flexible and felt quite heavy.  The ally frame is much tighter, probably helps that it actually fits - the steel one was a 19.5" and too big (I have a 580mm top tube on a road bike - these things are huge)  this is an 18" and feels much better.

It would be a rubbish touring bike, there are no rack mounts and only one bottle mount (I think), but as a 29er it's great.  is it better than a 26" bike?  Marginal...  it's certainly better over roots and bumps but feels slower on tight twisty bits.

with alfine:

Doesnt the sandal have vertical dropouts though?
So if I wanted it SS I'd have to find an eccentric hub

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:48:30 pm »
yep, that or use a tensioner.  At least you'd have the option of going alfine if you wanted to..

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2009, 09:50:12 pm »
I've got an on-one scandium, it's a very nice bike. 

It would be a rubbish touring bike, there are no rack mounts and only one bottle mount (I think), but as a 29er it's great.

Unless you put a trailer on it.  Then it's brill (and has 2 bottle mounts).

But if you definitely want single-speed or a hub gear, then the vertical drop outs aren't ideal.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:17:19 pm »
There's a new batch of Scandal frames coming in to On One this week - they might be slot dropout versions.

« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:19:58 pm »
How about a Singular Swift?

Singular Cycles

Should do fine as either single-speed or hub-geared?

Oh yes, very yes.  If anyone would like to buy me one, feel free  ;D

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:43:06 am »
There's a new batch of Scandal frames coming in to On One this week - they might be slot dropout versions.

From On-One's site:

YES slot dropout Scandals in stock - they’ll be up on the site today.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:57:16 pm »
Kona do a few 29er's. Unit and Big Unit are the ss versions

Malignant Narcisissm

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2009, 05:22:47 pm »
how about the GT Peace 9r? comes ss with mechanical disks and an eccentric bb so no need to faff with chain tugs or tensioners. full cromo frame and fork. £330 on evans new.  Evans Cycles | GT Peace 2008 Single Speed Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2009, 05:59:35 pm »
From the way you describe what you want the bike to do I would say you are probably looking for a cyclocross bike and not a MTB.

Tricross single?

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2009, 09:04:12 pm »
I have a GT Peace 9er and I love it. Mine is a few years old and has V-brakes not discs, but apart from that it looks pretty much the same, and it's a hell of a bike for the money.

Make sure you check how wide the rims are on whatever you get, as mine are 28mm, which would probably be a bit weird with 28mm tyres, and some 29er rims are wider still.

Malignant Narcisissm

« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2009, 08:49:35 pm »
if you are set on a 9r then check out the sort of tires they make for 29" rims. i tried a niner jet 9 mtb once and the tires were supposed to be the best 29" mtb tyres available but they just wouldnt grip in a straight line...

« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »
There's a Niner Air9 on the ctc Classifieds that sounds the business!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2009, 10:21:31 am »
There's a Niner Air9 on the ctc Classifieds that sounds the business!

1) not my size
2) not a single speed
3) 900 quid for a second hand bike is maybe a bit more than I had in mind.  I suppose anything with a chris king headset is gonna cost that much :)

« Reply #16 on: 27 May, 2009, 10:26:51 am »
It was only a sign-post, honest! Sure ain't mine!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.