Author Topic: Mull of Kintyre 600km. Friday 1st July - Inverkeithing 9pm.  (Read 21992 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Mull of Kintyre 600km. Friday 1st July - Inverkeithing 9pm.
« Reply #50 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:32:50 pm »
Ah well that's me entered.  Worse case scenario is that I loose £2 which is the equivalent of £200 in audax money :D  Actually, the worse case scenario is that I get eaten alive in some west coast hell hole when fatigue gets the better of me and I collapse into a drainage ditch at the side of the road, in a particularly calm spot, while too weak to reach for my Skin so Soft.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 14 June, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »
£2 which is the equivalent of £200 in audax money :D 

;D ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #52 on: 14 June, 2011, 03:09:20 pm »
£2 which is the equivalent of £200 in audax money :D 

;D ;D

Not far off target - if I'd bothered, £2 to enter, ~£200 in train fares (short notice travelling)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #53 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »
I can pessonally reccomend a nice hotel at Clachan just short of Tarbert and they do lovely Stornoway black pudding.

Bairn Again

« Reply #54 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:40:02 am »
had a wee flurry of entries so have made a tentative enquiry to Dalmally Community Hall (465km)........................Watch this space.  

Update......received an e-mail to say that my request has been forwarded to the Community Centre Management Committe for consideration.  Perhaps I'll have to go to Dalmally in person and present our case in front of a "wheel tappers and shunters-esque" board.   :D

Seriously, will update here as soon as I know any more.  

Bairn Again

« Reply #55 on: 16 June, 2011, 04:23:45 pm »
Ok folks – good news. 

We have secured the shiny new Dalmally Community Centre

Gallery — Dalmally Website

for use on the evening of Saturday 2nd July and the early hours of Sunday 3rd. 

Depending on the final number of entries for the event, I might have to ask for a small additional charge to cover the cost of the hall.  They’ve asked for £50 so with 13 riders it might be an extra £1 or so each.  I took an executive decision for all of us that it represents VFM.  Of course if I get more entries then the extra charge might not be required. 

Given that it’s not manned or even a control, I’ll be relying on a fast rider to collect the key.  My working assumption is that the fast group will include (or will be) Roberto but I know that he’s a decent chap and will get the hall open for us.  I’m planning on leaving Dalmally myself about 3.30am so if anybody wants to stay longer they might have to drop the key off too.  The hall has a kitchen but Ive no idea about what else.  Its brand spanking new though, only just open a few months ago.     

The wummin from Dalmally has also told me that the local shop closes early (about 5pm on a Saturday) and that the petrol station at Dunbeg is the last place on the route that will definitely be open for provisions.  It would therefore pay to stock up on anything you want to eat or drink in Dalmally in either Oban or at Dunbeg.  Might be an idea to stick a puckle of tea/coffee/sugar etc in your bag, CTC style.     

Hope that this works for people – it’s given me a bit more comfort to know that I won’t be stuck out all night and Im now quite looking forward to it. 

G. 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #56 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
That seems like an excellent development.  How do you find out about all of these spanking new village halls?  Have you signed up to some sort of newsletter, 'village hall fancier monthly'?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #57 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »
The new plan = hit "The Tight Line" pub in Lochawe for two pints of lager and a packet of crisps just before closing then cycle round to the hall to snooze it off. Sorted. :thumbsup:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #58 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:38:59 pm »
Thanks YLG, having the hall takes a worry out of it for me.  I'll finally get round to putting in my entry this evening.

Zep

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #59 on: 16 June, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »
Nice one YLG  :thumbsup:

Bairn Again

« Reply #60 on: 17 June, 2011, 09:13:46 am »
That seems like an excellent development.  How do you find out about all of these spanking new village halls?  Have you signed up to some sort of newsletter, 'village hall fancier monthly'?

You mean that I've been missing out on "Village Hall Fancier Monthly" for all these years?  Bugger. 

Nah, nothing more sophisticated than the power of t'internet Im afraid.

I always like my dealings with people who are keyholders for village halls.  They often start off fairly suspicious, but once they realise we're not fruitcakes who are going to burn the place down, they end up as nice as pie. 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #61 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »

You mean that I've been missing out on "Village Hall Fancier Monthly" for all these years?  Bugger. 

This month's issue has a great supplement, all about curtains.  :-*
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Bairn Again

« Reply #62 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:15:24 pm »

I believe that the month after they're having an "urns special" edition. 

« Reply #63 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:40:23 pm »

I believe that the month after they're having an "urns special" edition. 

and (it's true)-  the Scottish Federation of Village Halls are holding an event

Where members of the volunteering community who manage Scotland's village halls are being invited to attend a networking event on 5th July in Birnam, Perthshire, where they will have the chance to share ideas and information, learn about new opportunities and champion the cause of community buildings in rural Scotland.

« Reply #64 on: 20 June, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
OK - I guess I'll cancel the Youth Hostel now!
The thought of a comfortable bed would be nice but I expect that I'll be ready for a stop when I get to Dalmally, rather than pressing on into the night for an extra couple of hours. 
I'm assuming it will just the floor to sleep on, so will bring silk liner and use some spare clothes for a bit of padding underneath, but expect to sleep regardless of comfort by that point. 

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #65 on: 24 June, 2011, 06:45:05 pm »
I've just bought my train tickets for this event. This means I have to do it in <36 hours  :-\

Bairn Again

« Reply #66 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »
There's good weather forecast so bring sun cream as well as the mandatory midge repellant.

See you all at Inverkeithing tomorrow night. 

Each brevet card will include a slip with the details required to pick up / drop off the key for the hall at dalmally - Im assuming it'll be roberto who will be fastest and do the pick up but everybody will have directions just in case.   last one out will have to drop the key off - my aim is that it will be me - circa 3.30 - 4am. 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #67 on: 30 June, 2011, 04:17:51 pm »
There's good weather forecast so bring sun cream as well as the mandatory midge repellant.

Don't say that, you'll anger the gods of audax and it'll pish doon for the hole 600 :p

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #68 on: 01 July, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »
I've decided to be optimistic and believe the forecast. Heavy waterproof getting left at home, lightweight non-waterproof in the Barley :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #69 on: 01 July, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »
I've decided to be optimistic and believe the forecast. Heavy waterproof getting left at home, lightweight non-waterproof in the Barley :thumbsup:

Me too.  A lightweight showerproof packed - it'll piss down for 24 hours now :D

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #70 on: 01 July, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »

Me too.  A lightweight showerproof packed - it'll piss down for 24 hours now :D

Scrub that.  I'm now a no-show for this - I have my reasons :P  Hope you guys all have a great weekend.  My new plans now include a free form bike tour next week, possibly up north, and I'll need my legs.

« Reply #71 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:31:43 am »
Another great route by YLG who organised brilliant weather. My 3rd 600 this year and the hardest for me. Met far travelled southerners 9755 and Scott at the start. Climbed over the Cleish Hills then Geneagles, Glen Ogle, some more hills after Dalmally, reasonably flat to Tarbet, then down the East side of Kintyre which was very tough, some 35 mls of non stop up and down short steep climbs and descents. I toured Kintyre a few years with panniers and managed to ride up everything but not this time, I had to walk 100m or so twice. More climbs at the top end of the West side of Kintyre where I got tailed off. Lots of climbing to Oban, more after Dalmally. North side of Glen Ogle very hard when tired then Gleneagles and the Cleish Hills again to finish off. The evening start gave me problems. I got up at 5.30 am as per usual and had the dozies that night. Second night was worse and I resorted to Caffeine tabs but was still going all over the road at times and eventually tumbled sideways into the verge in Gleneagles. Must learn the lesson before my first PBP in August. Saw Vikings intent on raping and pillaging again in Tarbet. I think the pipe band  and the ferocious band of harpies frightened them off tho'

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #72 on: 03 July, 2011, 05:50:19 pm »
One of the best 600s I've ever ridden and at the moment it feels like one of the hardest.

Best because -

1. Great route/scenery. The scenery started almost right away, with cracking views from Knockhill out over the Forth valley to the Wallace monument and beyond. This followed by a beautiful sunset on the way into Comrie and a wonderful north sky glow that back-lit the mountains perfectly. Loch Fyne was flat-calm at 5am, as was the Kilbrannan sound later on Saturday morning. Unusual to see Arran so clearly. Going up the main road from Campbeltown we had plenty time to admire the views over Islay, Gigha and Jura.

2. Great team - on the climb out of Dunfermline the group split and I ended up riding with Roberto, OtherDave, Bodach, Pingu and Scott (dunno his Forum name). Scott dropped the rest of us somewhere after Furnace on Saturday morning but ended up re-joining the group at Comrie for the last leg back on Sunday morning. Bodach decided he'd be better off climbing at his own pace and we lost him after Dalmally. But overall it was a very well matched group with plenty of chat (except on the uphills). Roberto as usual spent a long time on the front and generally kept us all moving. Pingu suffered a number of punctures (two front, one back I think) but managed to retain his good humour.

3. Great weather - after a succession of very wet/windy/both events it was great to ride one in calm and sunny weather. It just makes everything so much more enjoyable. The nights were chilly but that was just a consequence of the beautiful clear skies and I think we all had just about enough clothes to cope with it.

4. A nice random occurence - stopped in Tarbet on the way back North for some Ice Cream in the cafe and it turned out to be their Gala day. So we sat and eat ice cream whilst watching a procession featuring primary school kids dressed as Vikings, pipe bands and sundry other entertainments.

Hardest because -

1. Night start meant lots of attacks of the dozies, specially on the second night. Unlike Bodach I managed to stay on my bike but it was a near thing a few times.
2. Night start also meant that our first sit-down food stop was Tarbet, where we were lucky enough to find a cafe that opened at 7am. We'd got there at quarter to but the woman let us sit inside until she was ready to serve and by quarter past we all had cooked breakfasts in front of us. In general there weren't many places to eat/drink on the route.
3. That B road from Kennacraig down to Campbeltown is hard! I can't think of any comparable road in Scotland with so many short steep climbs and descents. It killed my legs!

The midgies were fine until the Saturday evening section from Dalmally to GlenOgle. we rode all of this in classic team time trial mode, sticking rigidly one behind the other and taking turns on the front. It wasn't for the aerodynamic benefits, it was because the guy on the front took most of the midgies in the face while the folk behind got some respite from the constant barrage.

The late addition of the village hall at Dalmally as a stopping place was a brilliant idea. We stopped off for a snack and a snooze and it was perfect.

Even on the toughest bits I was still enjoying myself so overall - a cracking ride and big thanks to YLG :thumbsup:.

Bairn Again

« Reply #73 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »
Great summary valkyrie....its all true. 

It was the first time Id organised and ridden the same event...work commitments and pre ride faffage meant that I hadn’t checked beforehand for e-mail or forum based DNS's so was left holding 9 extra cards at 9pm at the start.  I decided to hang back for any late arrivals.  I thought I saw 1 but it was only valkyrie getting in sync with his GPS by riding 200 yards the wrong way in Inverkeithing.

Overnight to Dalmally was great, only needed to use the least powerful of 3 front lights.  The descent to Inveraray was perishing cold - myself, Frank9755 neilmc and capn zep took turns sharing a phone box in Inveraray to keep warm - ah the glamour.  The dozies meant that myself neil and zep sat outside on some rocks (3 large saltire based lizards) before lochgilphead to warm up but the midgies got us before too long.  Regrouped with frank near Tarbert and we were all so sleepy we opted for 30 mins flat out on the benches in the harbour where they were setting up for the days festivities - at 9am it was thankfully very warm, it could have been skiathos town not Tarbert.   

We dragged ourselves away towards Claonaig where the lumpiness began and the OMG spectacular views of the west side of Arran.  Swoop down, sharp kick to the right, steep climb, left elbow, and a steep ramp up to the top…..how many times did we do that?  The caff at Campbeltown reported that some cyclists wearing the same tops had left an hour or so before – we weren’t totally out of touch with the fast group.  Back up to Tarbert again on the blissfully quiet A83 where the pipe band was sadly not for our arrival and onwards over the bump to Lochgilphead and then the real toughie to Oban.  38 miles I thought, 3 hrs all pretty good up the coast road.  Oh heck, the ups and downs were almost as regular as the Claonaig road.  Thought Id never see Oban!  Fish with chips in Oban allowed me time to cool down and regroup with Frank.  We rolled into an empty hall at Dalmally about 10.45, having enjoyed the views of Loch Awe en route.  Neilmc and Ryan weren’t far behind but I was asleep when audave arrived about 1am.  The fast group had left before we arrived but had left a note for us.   

Reveille at 3am and breakfast of muller rice, biscuits and cup a soup purchased from Dunbeg the night afore.  I took a detour ½ mile the “wrong” way to hand the hall key back and set off in pursuit of the others up the hill to Tyndrum.   Thought I was going Ok but took until near Lix before meeting up with a sleepy Zep.  I was forced to stop at Lochearnhead to stand in the morning sun to warm up, once more lizard based, Glen Dochart was so cold and misty.  I turned the corner along Loch Earn and passed Zep sleeping atop a picnic bench although it appeared more like he was a corpse on the slab!  I hooked up with frank and Neilmc at Comrie along with Ian who had ridden through and had passed thro Dalmally at 2am without using the hall. 

On the Strowan Road I realised that I was actually feeling pretty good and pressed on to catch up (wake up?) neilmc just before Auchterarder where we made light work of Glen Eagles and Knock Hill (great views of Longannet power Station and could even make out the steeple in Falkirk) through Dunfermalino to the finish where we realised it was already 20+ degrees at 10am.  Frank and Zep arrived soon after.

Without question it was both the hardest and most rewarding 600 I’ve done.  I’d chosen the date and route specifically as a challenging pre PBP 600.  It was 200k+ from the start to the first shop or café that was open and pretty much everything for the final 170km had to be bought and carried at 430k.  The 9pm was chosen deliberately to replicate the challenges of PBP and my tiredness on the 1st night was a reminder to spend the day resting.   

We were very lucky with the weather, the scenery and in particular the views to Arran from the east side of the Mull of Kintyre will live with me forever.  Thanks to those who turned up especially those who made a significant journey to participate.  This event was a one-off (from me as an organiser at any rate) and I hope that you have as many happy memories of the event as I do.

Over to you Paul…………

Mull Of Kintyre
Oh Mist Rolling In From The Sea,
My Desire Is Always To Be Here
Oh Mull Of Kintyre

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #74 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
Well summed up, Valyrie, although I was feeling fairly grumpy at Oban. Thanks to you & Robert for helping me out  :thumbsup: On top of the 3 punctures I managed to lose my phone (probably at the comfort break near Auchterarder)  :(

Still, it was a great ride with great weather (yay!) and company. Memories include the relief of getting breakfast at Tarbert, the brutal road on the east of Mull of Kintyre, the views across to the islands, Valkyrie being chatted up in Comrie. We were finished so early I had to wait >4.5 hours for the train, thankfully it was warm and sunny and I managed to doze a bit on the platform.

Some wildlife highlights: deer with fawns, possibly a hen harrier  near Campbeltown and loadsa bats on Friday night (I was hit by one on the descent to Lix Toll).

Best emergency purchase of the year: Pro Plus