Author Topic: Help with wiring in France – replacing a hallway timer  (Read 3763 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Help with wiring in France – replacing a hallway timer
« on: 13 August, 2018, 11:51:47 am »
Want to replace a Legrand 03702  6 wire timer with a 4 wire one as 6 ones are no longer made.  The replacement is https://www.ledkia.com/fr/acheter-minuteurs-programmateurs/734-minuterie-d-escalier-30s-10m-man-aut.html

The replacement should be straight forward and the wiring should be a straight forward swap and should be like this: http://www.forum-electricite.com/schemas/schema-cablage-minuterie-legrand-03702.jpg

The legrand in the property is wired differently:
1- Red cable and is the power from the fuse
2 – red and joined to the black that I believe goes in to the wall and goes to the push switch.
3- Neteral from the fuse
4 – Yellow
5- To fuse
6 – Same place as one

Photos
Photo of the timer

Photo of the bottom of the timer (colour and numbers)

Photo of the top of the timer (colour and timer)

Each of the light buttoms have a black wire to one side and blue wire to the other.

The lights, 3 of them, are wired as blue wire to one terminal yellow to the other.  The second light has yellow to each lamp terminal.  The final lamp has white wire and I can’t see what the wire colours are without going in to the loft and look.

Help, too stressed to be 100% sure of the wiring terminal.

How would you wire the timer?

Re: Help with wiring in France – replacing a hallway timer
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:52:47 am »
This is in the wrong section, should be in the general non-cycling bit of Knowledge.

That said, I should be able to help but I can't. The cabling colours don't seem to correspond to what I would expect as normal in the original installation. Is this an old house or an old installation? If so then expect the unexpected (I had phase and neutral switched in this house - all the way from the meter). But you are right, if you know what the cabling correspondance is then it should be a straightforward job (except if the original was installed by a plumber, which is often the case in older installations in France!).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:50:58 am »
I can't help with the wiring at all but there is a clue to the age of the components in the pictures.

At least one of the components is labelled 'Made in West Germany' which, to my mind, makes it around 30 years old...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:05:26 pm »
Be aware........

Touch it and you're liable if it bursts into flames, burns the house down, someone dies or you cause an overload at the local Nuke plant which results in a bit of China syndrome and knocks Winnie The Poo out on the other side of the planet.

You 'ave been warned.

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:22:26 pm »
Be aware........

Touch it and you're liable if it bursts into flames, burns the house down, someone dies or you cause an overload at the local Nuke plant which results in a bit of China syndrome and knocks Winnie The Poo out on the other side of the planet.

You 'ave been warned.

True enough, any insurance in France depends on certified works by “qualified” tradesmen. DIY electrics isn’t encouraged.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2018, 04:28:19 pm »
From the second photo, I can read that your timer was made in "West Germany", which suggests  that the timer is a bit old...

Buying a new one is probably a sensible thing to do. As others have said, you don't want to burn the house down, and reusing old electric devices is an unnecessary source of problems.

Regarding the wiring, I am not a qualified electrician, but I have fitted in recent years two of these timers in apartment buildings halls, and each time they came with very clear wiring instructions.

A

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:21:11 pm »
Sorry that it is the wrong section.

Was very stressed,   the timer function is dead so spent a bit and worked out how to wire it.

Amazed how bad the wiring is in the house.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2019, 08:22:58 pm »
Almost a year later, thank god that I took photos and posted them here as someone had messed about with the cables.

It is a three wire setup.  Yellow wires went to lights and black wire (that had a red end wire) to the switches.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2019, 08:48:49 am »
Sorry that it is the wrong section.

Was very stressed,   the timer function is dead so spent a bit and worked out how to wire it.

Amazed how bad the wiring is in the house.

In the 80s we moved into a bungalow with horrible wiring.  All the right colours* were there, they just weren't used for the right things. When we switched on the light in the corridor the light over the bathroom sink would come on as well, at half power.  The bathroom light-switch appeared to work OK.  Oh, and you didn't want to lean on the cooker while it was in use.

* except that they were the old red-green-black colours rather than EU standard.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight