Author Topic: Racer dies in E123 race  (Read 5646 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Racer dies in E123 race
« Reply #26 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:10:33 pm »
Whilst I concur with the sentiments, the ePetitions site is a graveyard down which enthusiasm is lured to be quietly strangled.

And trying to solve the problem with a specific use case (NEG) is probably not the best approach as legislation would be more forthcoming if there were to be a holistic approach that recognised means for all sorts of temporary traffic management, whether it be a road race, a carnival, a particularly large and difficult delivery, or any other activity requiring short term (a matter of hours rather than days) regulation of highway traffic.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2013, 11:03:49 pm »
Yes, I realise it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction/token gesture. I don't think closing the entire road in both directions is either feasible or a foolproof solution.

The NEG are a great help for static Marshalls at junctions though. Motorists don't seem to mind stopping for a minute if there's a couple of hi-viz motorbikes milling around.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:24:07 am »
I think David has the nail right on the head, but creating change would mean building a coalition of a wide variety of groups who could benefit, some of whom have contradictory concerns.  Traffic management does need to be improved, but there's a lot to be done.  That's not to say I don't admire and support anyone aiming to try.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:02:42 am »
It is actually quite simple. You just provide legislation that allows for councils to issue a 'temporary traffic control order' that enables a stated person to supervise traffic controls according to the attached schedule at the specified location at the specified time. This would be simple, a sign saying 'caution. Traffic control ahead', a second saying 'wait here when instructed' and a suitably clad person with a stop go board.

It could be used for everything from a road race (running or cycling), moving large and complex loads, work where traffic would be endangered (ie tree felling), parades crossing a main road etc. It would formalise the informal that happens day in and day out. It enables that gap between needing a full road closure and minor delays of a few minutes.

Yes we cannot legally stop traffic, but we can politely ask drivers if they wouldn't mind waiting a couple of minutes. Most are more than happy to do so but there are always some who will insist that they have a right to proceed at the speed limit irrespective.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:33:11 am »
Yes we cannot legally stop traffic, but we can politely ask drivers if they wouldn't mind waiting a couple of minutes. Most are more than happy to do so but there are always some who will insist that they have a right to proceed at the speed limit irrespective.

Those are the ones that frighten me. I've had the red flag knocked out of my hand by a 4x4 driver who decided he wasn't going to stop or even slow down. Ten seconds later and he would have ploughed into the bunch. That's why we value the NEG so much.

« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:06:49 am »

Those are the ones that frighten me. I've had the red flag knocked out of my hand by a 4x4 driver who decided he wasn't going to stop or even slow down. Ten seconds later and he would have ploughed into the bunch. That's why we value the NEG so much.

I always recall the incident on the Tour of Britain (Might have been the Milk race still!!) when Phil Anderson was knocked off by a motorist who managed to push past two Police motorcyclists who were intending to stop traffic entering the race route from a side turning.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)