Author Topic: Finishing an audax on a different bike  (Read 16205 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Finishing an audax on a different bike
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:14:20 am »
I'll let the fundamentalists do whatever they like but I'll stick to the rules.  "Prefer" is not a rule.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:28:05 am »
(complete tangent; I had a rider on my event turn up with his wife on tandem having just entered himself, no idea where AUK insurance would stand on that but they were both CTC so not an issue)

Not a problem as far as insurance is concerned if the additional member is in the CTC - but this is a bit cheeky.  This is just the same as one person entering the ride, and all his clubmates simply following round, blocking up cafes, possibly even consuming refreshments.  I would welcome the tandem rider but ask for another entry fee to help cover the event costs

in this case it wasn't cheeky; he explicitly said his stoker would not use any of the facilities even the toilets in hall at the start, although I did let her use all the facilities including the free lunch provided by me. And yes I've had the "enter one get three free" brigade who also used no facilities and even paid for lunch (but they seem to have moved on to sportives now)

« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:58:57 am »
I always through that the FWC was more about riding freewheel-less than picking one gear and sticking to it. Flippng the wheel seems to me like a savvy use of bike set up for those rides that are perhaps East Anglian flat for all but the one leg where the organiser would like to show you some lovely views. Riding fixed itself is different to riding geared, surely this is where the challenge would lie.

Mind you, it isn't that relevant to me. When I get round to riding fixed it'll be on nice flat routes with nothing more challenging than the col d' railway bridge.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:09:51 pm »
IMind you, it isn't that relevant to me. When I get round to riding fixed it'll be on nice flat routes with nothing more challenging than the col d' railway bridge.

I seem to remember Bernard Mawson who organised the Long Flat One said on occasion that after the electrification of the East Coast Main Line, all the bridges had to be raised so the event now attracted AAA points  ;D
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »
I hope this reply will clarify matters and cap the can of worms more successfully than BP’s recent efforts.

In an ideal world (i.e. not this one) I feel there should be just a single gear available, but in the real world I am fairly laid back about riders flipping a wheel for a different gear – it won’t be that different, anyway.  Equally I have no problems with a rider who has experienced mechanical problems finishing the ride on another machine, irrespective of any change of gear size.  As far as the FWC is concerned, if both are fixed-gear machines, there is no issue.  If, OTOH, the replacement machine uses a freewheel, then none of the ride can be counted towards the challenge.  To amplify: if you are on a 600 and are forced to change from fixed to freewheel after, say, 400km, then even if you complete the ride and have earned six points to gain your SR Series, you are not entitled to any FWC / SFW points.  In that respect, you abandoned the ride as far as the fixed challenge is concerned, though not for the general classification.

The question of a pre-planned change of mounts part way through the event is intriguing and needs further explanation why such a change is required; presumably there are other considerations apart from a simple change of gear size.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:42:36 pm »
The question of a pre-planned change of mounts part way through the event is intriguing and needs further explanation why such a change is required; presumably there are other considerations apart from a simple change of gear size.

:)

The bike I plan to use for the first 250km of a 400 is my preferred bike. But it doesn't have a rack. After I complete the audax, I am riding home (about 120km, not ECE - this is just for utiity) and will be collecting something en-route that will need a pannier and a rack; hence the motivation to change bike to one with a rack.

It's no big deal really - I'll ride the racked bike all the way round. TBH - this thread escalated somewhat, once I'd let it loose ;).

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »

:)

The bike I plan to use for the first 250km of a 400 is my preferred bike. But it doesn't have a rack. After I complete the audax, I am riding home (about 120km, not ECE - this is just for utiity) and will be collecting something en-route that will need a pannier and a rack; hence the motivation to change bike to one with a rack.

It's no big deal really - I'll ride the racked bike all the way round. TBH - this thread escalated somewhat, once I'd let it loose ;).

Now I feel really guilty! You can't use a non-preferred bike just to collect my shower gel and nightie! We'll ride back with you and carry the pannier...

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »
Now I feel really guilty! You can't use a non-preferred bike just to collect my shower gel and nightie! We'll ride back with you and carry the pannier...

Don't feel guilty. This is how I work. I like to incorporate one ride with another. But your company, panniered in my stead, would be equally righteous.

« Reply #34 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:15:00 pm »
...after the electrification of the East Coast Main Line, all the bridges had to be raised so the event now attracted AAA points
I rode the Flitchbikes 200 on Saturday. Although there were much bigger hills, the Col du A14 road bridge was the one that had me nearly throwing up...

dougal

• A gem of a lane
« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2010, 01:12:06 pm »
PBP used to put seals on bikes to prevent bike changes but that rule went out decades ago. Swap away!

I'm amused by the idea of PBP putting seals on bikes, I see what they mean by flipping the wheel now!
Its a lay-by love affair

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2010, 02:16:28 pm »
PBP used to put seals on bikes to prevent bike changes but that rule went out decades ago. Swap away!

I'm amused by the idea of PBP putting seals on bikes,

That was back in the day when the event not just demonstrated the endurance of the riders but of the bikes.  It was considered important that manufacturers not be able to cheat.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 08 June, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »
3peaker lost a wheel on LEL: started on a trike and finished on a 2wheel jobbe.

At least two other trikies have finished earlier LELs sans a wheel.

« Reply #38 on: 08 June, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
Rick Carpenter finished LEL on another rider's bike after a crash and being patched up at Doncaster Royal, I hope he has better luck on RAAM.
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=202983

« Reply #39 on: 08 June, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

I'm amused by the idea of PBP putting seals on bikes, I see what they mean by flipping the wheel now!

From reading the LEL reports, it sounds like they might have been suited to those conditions too...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #40 on: 08 June, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
Manotea: 3peaker lost a wheel on LEL: started on a trike and finished on a 2wheel jobbe.

Phixie:  In that respect, you abandoned the ride as far as the fixed challenge is concerned, though not for the general classification. (Slightly out of context but sentiment remains valid?)
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a Poor Student 200 a few years back, my handlebar snapped.  With a choice of pack or slip into Cheltenham to change steads (and still recover a car from Oxford), my option to change steads resulted in +20kms, 2 points and a story for Arrivee.

Back in 2006 I started the New Forest 1000 on Trike. As the route had 3 loops from a Common S/F Control, I packed a spare solo.  My thinking behind this was if I went out of time on Trike, I could switch to Solo and catch up. In the event, I finished on Trike with 15mins to spare having suffered several pun**ures and having stripped my Solo wheels of Tubes. 

Then on last year’s LEL, and going for various big Trophies on Trike, I had rear cassette loosening before Doncaster.  I staggered into Thorne and miraculously Danial W (eternal thanks) loaned me his Solo for the Northern 800km loop.  Duly completed, we managed a Tie-wrap repair to the Trike Cassette, which, while not  perfect, enabled a working gearbox for the flatter southern route home.  So, 14 points and I claimed 6 for Trike.  Tut tut…..aesthetics came into play as I claimed those 6 points towards a new Trike Record, previously at 102 and I was claiming 109.  The aesthetics Committee sat and discredited my 6 points claim for the Record, reducing my points to 103.  Had I not kept plugging for Trikie points till the last day of the season (literally), my disappointment would have been a huge blow for a year of Trikie-bashing.  As it was, I recorded my first (and probably only) 100+ season and on Trike to boot.  A few Solo rides and the credit of all LEL points as solo enabled me to take the Vets Trophy with 123 points.

There is a message there.  Finish the ride and then discuss?

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #41 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:41:58 am »
I know of one rider who swapped his tandem for a (DNF's ) single after losing his stoker on PBP

Utterly trivial by comparison, but I had my stoker's knee give up 20km into the London Sightseer, so I rode the rest of the ride solo on the tandem. You get some funny looks.

« Reply #42 on: 09 June, 2010, 06:50:52 am »
I've mentioned this before, but one of my clubmates had a t-shirt that said on the back:

"If you can read this, my stoker has fallen off" ;D

« Reply #43 on: 09 June, 2010, 07:47:20 am »
Utterly trivial by comparison, but I had my stoker's knee give up 20km into the London Sightseer, so I rode the rest of the ride solo on the tandem. You get some funny looks.

« Reply #44 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:00:48 pm »
I rode the Only for Softies finishing today. I'm afraid I wrecked my first choice bike after only 5mls, took a couple of hours walking to collect the car driving home, picking up another bike and managing to finish the event without going out of time at any point. If I have to forego my points C'est la vie! I'll just have to ride another. Very much a plus point it makes the case for another machine that much stronger.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #45 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:04:28 pm »
I rode the Only for Softies finishing today. I'm afraid I wrecked my first choice bike after only 5mls, took a couple of hours walking to collect the car driving home, picking up another bike and managing to finish the event without going out of time at any point. If I have to forego my points C'est la vie! I'll just have to ride another.
Well done bodach. Maybe you should get extra points, for being such a nutter.  :demon:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #46 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
When I started cycling in the 60s it was mandatory to be a nutter. Now it is purely optional Eck.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #47 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:43:27 pm »
When I started cycling in the 60s it was mandatory to be a nutter. Now it is purely optional Eck.

Some of the people I have met seem to make it fashionable

« Reply #48 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:53:58 pm »
There's no rule to say you can't use more than one bike on an audax is there?

I've read stories of folks' bikes breaking in half, and them legging it home for a replacement, but I'm talking about a premeditated change at a point in a route.

Both would be fixed gear, so wouldn't flout any FG restriction - though gearing is different (but still fixed, not SS).

There are legit reasons for wanting to swap bike part way through. The official route passes near my home, so it's not like I'm calling on a support vehicle or anything.
I've done this a few times, in Italy on the mille miglia 1000 miles.  My crank broke and I managed to borrow another bike to complete the ride.  Also on the mille cymru also I borrowed a bike after a chain break.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
Good to hear from you again, after that dreadful crash in New Zealand.