Author Topic: Android tablet "as a Garmin"  (Read 1316 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Android tablet "as a Garmin"
« on: 14 May, 2015, 08:53:06 am »
I have a Garmin Edge Touring and it's fine BUT the screen is pretty small ....

I also have a cheapie Android tablet (a TESCO Hudl 2) that I use for maps/cycle tours and wonder if it's possible to use it like a Garmin Edge Touring - but with a much bigger screen?    That is to have maps loaded, load a .gpx route and then follow it.   

The key thing is it needs to be OFFLINE - i.e. maps have to be installed on the tablet and NOT use online Google maps.  (I have plenty of space on the tablet with a 32gb microSD)

I have the Alpine Quest app installed with the UK 1-50000 OS - using that mapping would be nice, but anything considered that can be stored in the tablet.   The idea is that the tablet can be in the bar-bag mapcase - and switched on when necessary ... not a turn by turn situation so that battery life is extended.

All suggestions welcome - thanks

Rob

Chris S

Re: Android tablet "as a Garmin"
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:16:05 am »
OSMand allows you 10 downloadable maps for free. I used that on my Samsung S5 at last year's Sem Fed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2015, 01:18:14 pm »
I use my Nexus 7 as a paper map:  I have the Memory Map app installed, with copies of the ancient 1:50k OS map files from the desktop version.  If I'm particularly organised I might upload a GPX with tracks and waypoints to it too, but I mostly let the eTrex handle that realtime / turn-by-turn stuff.  The Nexus comes out at decision-making moments and gives me a nice backlit easily-scrolled OS map that happens to automagically centre itself on the crosshair that shows the current location.

Which sounds more or less like what you're planning to do.  Now, I won't actively recommend the Memory Map app - it's a bit primitive compared to things like Viewranger - unless you happen to have maps that will work with it already.

I've also used OSMAnd with offline vector mapping.  It's a bit more sluggish than scrolling around a bitmap map, but it has OSM's higher level of detail of features that are sometimes useful (cyclepaths and the like).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:39:18 pm »
I too have a Nexus and Memory Map (UK OS 1-50 & IGN France 1-100) -   Alpine Quest handles the old Mem Map versions very neatly for just maps but has minimal other stuff.

I have looked at OSMAND today but it doesn't seem to want to work on the HUDL (it's Android 4.4.1)   - what I have found is an app called Locus which seems to do what I want ... I'm out in the car putting up arrows for an event on Sunday and intend to see if the event gpx will guide us round correctly on the Locus mapping.

Rob