Author Topic: Easyroute - an IOS route planner for on-the-fly routing with Garmin cycling GPS  (Read 2046 times)

This has been a round some time, but I've only just come across it, principally because if you use certain Garmin GPS's, like the 1000, and Garmin Connect, you can plot a route on your phone and upload it to the GPS whilst out in the wilds, if you change your mind. It even gives a route elevation so you can modify the route for more or less climbing.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/easyroute/id605127860?mt=8

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/quickly-creating-devices.html

£1.99 from the (Apple) app store.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
With any solution on an edge device (other than using the inbuilt route plotter) you need to stop and save (or discard) the current route you are using in order to launch the app to download the route.  This is also true of Komoot...  furthermore, not sure if this applies here, but certainly you still need a phone signal to get the route from the app onto the Garmin as (with Komoot) the app saves the route to the cloud, then the app (on the Garmin) accesses the cloud (via the Garmin app for the internet connection) to then download the route.

Like anything - it's worth checking out but the above should be borne in mind if you think it will be your saviour if stuck out in somewhere remote and needed to get elsewhere.... in this case (with no phone/internet) the inbuilt Garmin route planner is your best bet and worth learning to use just in case...  :thumbsup:

It's a cheaper option than Komoot assuming it has offline maps?
Regards,

Joergen

I forgot to say it also works with Wahoo Elemnts' and in that case will send a FIT file with turn by turn. 

Yes, you need a phone signal to create the route and save it to Garmin Connect. The transfer of the course from phone (Garmin Connect app) to Garmin head unit is, I believe, by bluetooth, not via the Cloud.

You can create a route on the device, but - given a phone signal - this is a simple way of doing so on a bigger screen.

No offline maps that I know of, and no support for Android.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
I forgot to say it also works with Wahoo Elemnts' and in that case will send a FIT file with turn by turn. 

Yes, you need a phone signal to create the route and save it to Garmin Connect. The transfer of the course from phone (Garmin Connect app) to Garmin head unit is, I believe, by bluetooth, not via the Cloud.

You can create a route on the device, but - given a phone signal - this is a simple way of doing so on a bigger screen.

No offline maps that I know of, and no support for Android.

Yep - it's BT between phone and Garmin unit, however you then need the connection between phone and cloud to get the route off Garmin Connect.  The BT tethers the Garmin via the phone to the cloud  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

I must admit I couldn’t get this to work at all. Having created a route in Easyroute then saved it as a GPX then selected open in Garmin connect but when I looked at Garmin connect, there is no sign of the route either in the app nor on Garmin connect website.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

First time I tried it didn’t. But if, once I’ve created the route, I switch to the Garmin connect app and open it, then go back and reopen Easyroute and export the file, it opens Garmin Connect and shows the route, which can then be saved.

Tried that; now I get an error message on Garmin Connect: “Oops! Something went wrong loading your courses”. No idea what that’s about.

I am using the latest versions of GC and ER on iOS. Latest version of ER doesn’t behave exactly as described in the write up: there is no explicit ‘export’ function, only the standard share with (square with arrow) icon which gives 6 options including GPX, which is only option that brings up the copy to Connect button, pressing that brings up the error message.

I am not really surprised it doesn’t work. GC is a rubbish app and every time Garmin update it (about once a month), something else is broken.

Addendum; I don’t really like the Garmin Connect app and really only use it to upload rides from my Edge 810. But having played with it today following this thread, I found that Garmin have snuck in a route planner into the app, something that was missing for a long time. It’s a bit basic but it’s possible to plan a route on it, and then transfer to the GPS. Like EasyRoute, you need to have internet access to see maps.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo