Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105163 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #450 on: 16 November, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
Certainly for people outside the area just a gmap overview gives a nice starting point - though I know what you mean about gpx routes - one persons nice route is anothers hell!

Cheers

GMaps loaded for all the 100 and 200 rides as website links.  The 2G gave me a surprise as it is possible to do it in 120 miles.  So from now on instead of Conwy riders will need to use Penamaenmawr or Llandudno instead of Conwy.  Penmaenmawr via the Sychnant pass would be in keeping with the Cambrian Series ethic of interesting hills.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and anther  :thumbsup: just for luck

Thanks CET, really helpful

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #451 on: 20 December, 2015, 07:55:51 pm »
We've been doing some checking on the historic Cambrian series routes, and it turns out that the 4B is somewhat short (by about 14km).  Though this won't impact any previous events, I have adjusted the route to take in Rhayader instead of Llanwrtyd Wells, which brings the route to 400km

Also, please look out for 5 new routes 1F, 1G, 1H, 1J, and 1K.  AAA pts Pending.  I've received quite a few enquiries for short hilly perms in South Wales so here they are.

Cambrian 1F – Chepstow – Raglan – Brynithel – Usk – Chepstow (100km) – 1640m ascent
Cambrian 1G – Abergavenny – Hay-on-Wye – Tredegar – Blaenavon – Abergavenny (100km) – 1700m ascent
Cambrian 1H – Hay-on-Wye – Hundred House – Knighton – Penybont – Hay-on-Wye  (105km) 2250m ascent
Cambrian 1J – Newtown – Llanfair Caereinion – Llanbrynmair – Machynlleth – Staylittle – Newtown (110km) 1630m ascent
Cambrian 1K - Maesteg – Treorchy – Hirwaun – Maerdy – Mountain Ash – Ferndale – Maesteg (106km) 2200m
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #452 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:02:41 pm »
1f and 1g are particularly evil and right on the doorstep.  Be rude not to! :)

Now if only I could think of a nice route from Abergavenny to Hay.  Quiet road, bit of climbing, nice views, that sort of thing.  Must look at the map to see if there is anything suitable...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #453 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »
1k sets a new standard; I havent heard of ANY of the control towns!

Which probably means I should ride it ASAP ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #454 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »

You are more likely to have heard of the mountains in between them. That looks a great ride to me.

« Reply #455 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:27:03 pm »
1H is pretty well right at my doorstep and includes some stonking ascents, 2.2:1 climbing ratio !!! that`s pushing it out a lot !

and I reckon this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11535669 is optimised route ?--- a double ascent of Ireland Moor and Clyro Hill  :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #456 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:48:57 am »
The most evil 100k ride in ascent that I have done was 3800m based on contour counts.  Le Bourg D'Oisans - Alpe d'Huez - Col du Sarenne - Les Deux Alpes - D211A (Les Chatains, Garde d'Huez) - Le Bourg D'Oisans - Villard Notre Dame - Col du Solude - Ornon - Le Bourg d'Oisans - 108km but the last 8km were downhill or flat.  Zigazag and I did it on July 1 2014 in about 8 hours but we did sit down for lunch.

These are all BP rides so minimum speed of 12kph is allowed.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #457 on: 24 December, 2015, 05:13:23 am »
1H sounds great  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #458 on: 24 December, 2015, 07:39:59 am »

have card, will ride , will feedback  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hillbilly

« Reply #459 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:00:52 am »

The Welsh ones look like expletives that will be uttered by riders being divinely tortured by CETs depravity.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #460 on: 26 December, 2015, 07:20:02 am »
I've updated my Wordpress site with a full list of the Cambrian permanents and updated instructions

https://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com

Also - for inspiration - here's my account of the 4C - IMHO the most difficult of the 400s.

https://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/bring-on-the-dragons/

On the AUK website the five new events are now set up with Paypal for ease of entry.  Links to suggested Google Map routes are also included - so you can see how I managed to shrink the 1K into 106km by use of some interesting roads.  Routes on the Cambrian series are free - but the links show the route that I thought of when putting the rides together.

Enjoy!

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #461 on: 26 December, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »
That's a brilliant ride report. I won't be attempting it in this lifetime.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #462 on: 26 December, 2015, 04:23:37 pm »
That's a brilliant ride report. I won't be attempting it in this lifetime.
+1 (possibly though may attempt ) but has prompted me to fit a 12-34 cassette for 1H ride coming up  ;D

« Reply #463 on: 27 December, 2015, 03:46:26 pm »

have card, will ride , will feedback  ;D

SO---- a reasonable forecast for 27th, cloudy and dry with light winds saw me setting off from a New Radnor start as low clouds slowly dragged themselves over the hills but small encouraging patches blue sky were visible. From NR through to Knighton and thence Penybont reasonable progress was made, hilly yes but nothing inhumane and good B / A roads ensured speeds on descents made up for time on climbs.

Penybont @ 40 km and ~ 800m ascent was reached within 2 hours  ---a welcome cappuccino and mince pies at Severn Arms before the ride character changed totally. A narrow and mucky lane dragged up and out of the Ithon Valley to cross over the spine of the Carneddau ---15% stretches testing the climbing legs. Sheep scattered in adjoining fields as they sighted me, their squelching feet indicating just how sodden the ground was, so very different from the winter of 2010 at Penybont when temps were dropping to -20c and all , including the rivers , was frozen. Today cloudy and +9c !

Narrow lanes slowed my descent down and as I reached Hundred House a steady drizzle started to fall. Up and down is best way to describe the section to Rhulen before the start of the Ireland Moor ascent; short (ish) 10-15% sections then down again to soften up climbing legs for the tough climb of over 250m to Ireland Moor top at 435m asl.

A normally trickling waterfall cascaded down

PC270032 by jamesld8, on Flickr

and the Ireland Moor climb continued to stretch on for ever it seemed

PC270033 by jamesld8, on Flickr

From Rhulen it`s a beast indeed 2km at average 10% with the lower  0.5km averaging 17%  ::-) The drizzle had by now intensified and as I got near the top of the hill the clouds closed in limiting visibility to 50m. A group of bedraggled walkers probably felt as I did by then---the forecast was wrong !

A difficult descent down to Painscastle, thick fog and now very heavy drizzle limiting progress and visibility. a DEEP puddle having a useful warning post stuck in it `POTHOLE` indicated its hidden hazard.
In Painscastle I considered my options as the rain now fell heavily; push on in miserable conditions just to do it, but see nothing, or turn left and be back home in an hour. The Roast Ox was also open suggesting a possible food stop  ;D

I turned left to leave this ride for a much better day; it was still raining hard when I got back home and the cloud was at valley level. 1H will have to wait another day for me, but still managed 90km with 1700m climbing. Next time I`d like to see a bit more scenery !

https://www.strava.com/activities/457361315/

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #464 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
Thanks for the write-up. 

Have just had a rider enter 10 events so that takes us up to 71 entries for the 2015-16 Audax Season.  Fingers crossed for 100 Cambrian perm entries and 50+ finishes.  The 3B and 8A are on my goal sheet for the year.  Just need to sort out my business trips, although the 8A now looks pencilled in for the Mayday holiday weekend.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #465 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »
Wanted: Short Cambrian rides nr Llandysul recommendations!

Ideally a 200 (any AAA <gulp> ) or RELatively kind 300.

Would consider starts either nr Carmarthen, or further East e.g. Brecon-ish. Not further north, as logistics (sans voiture) become absurd.

(To be ridden Mon 4th April. So not expecting perfect weather. Especially as we've had it good for 2 years.)

( Also, as I'll have a group from the club there on Sat/Sun, a 100k in the area MIGHT be useful. Hmm, I sense mission creep here ...)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #466 on: 30 January, 2016, 08:21:00 pm »
For the 100 the 1E Cardigan – Haverfordwest – Newcastle Emlyn – Cardigan (109k) would start less than 10k from Llandysul.

The 2C also uses Newcastle Emlyn as a control (New Quay - Newcastle Emlyn - Fishguard - Carmarthen - Llandeilo - Lampeter - New Quay.) so you could start and finish at Newcastle Emlyn or use Llandysul as an extra start/finish control in between New Quay and Newcastle Emlyn which by my calculations adds 12k to the distance but not much climbing.

The 2D can start and finish at New Quay and takes in all the well known lumpy bits of the Elenydd  ;D

If you were being really brave you could to the same addition of Llandysul to the 3B - New Quay - Newcastle Emlyn - Fishguard - Carmarthen - Llandeilo - Brecon - Llanwrtyd Wells - Lampeter -New Quay  :o  (but with 4800m ascent on the old Coulson scale it probably doesn't fit into the category of "kind".

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #467 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:14:45 am »
That's fantastic. I could well be tempted by a crack at the 3 with good weather, so it's great to have shorter options as backup.

Now I can commit to another night over there instead of toying with catching the last train home; a shorter ride on the Monday would be no great loss, and the hostel is dirt cheap :)

There will be further questions about route options. (naturally ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #468 on: 08 March, 2016, 09:04:39 am »
Hello, before I try and get a 1k card is there a way of getting the new 1s in one fell swoop like I have with the first 5?

Dan
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #469 on: 22 March, 2016, 06:36:58 pm »
The Cambrian 3A is on starting tomorrow (Wed night) from Carmarthen at whatever time the 23:15 gets in plus the time it takes me to find an ATM for proof of passage.  No frost but rain and strong winds forecast from 9am, so I probably won't see my way back over the Presceli but hopefully will get blown back that last 50k.  Aiming for the 16:05 or 16:35 train back.

« Reply #470 on: 22 March, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Closest ATM to the station is TSB in Blue street. (If it's still open)
Come out of the station, bear left and go accross the footbridge
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.8530247,-4.3070544/51.8560192,-4.3080844/@51.855896,-4.3090254,18.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #471 on: 22 March, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.8530247,-4.3070544/51.8560192,-4.3080844/@51.855896,-4.3090254,18.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

1k is on for Monday for me and hammerman :)
nam dan on fb

« Reply #472 on: 22 March, 2016, 08:00:07 pm »
Thinking of attempt #2 at 1H tomorrow (Wednesday) but knowledge of the hills involved is very daunting  ::-) particularly the Pen Y Bont to Hay on Wye section https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11569077 ,  but at least forecast is quite benign  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #473 on: 22 March, 2016, 10:04:21 pm »

Thanks Plod.  I've just seen this after a happy half-hour of Google Streetview checking out the one way systems of Carmarthen and Brecon and working out why I always go wrong in Brecon and Fishguard (no signposts at key junctions to deter grockles, or whatever they are called in Wales, from finding windy B roads and keeping their emmett boxes on the main drag).

Hope the weather is good for you on the 1K.  I expect Im going to have rain from about an hour after sunrise, so will back a dry layer in the Nelson Longflap for the journey home.

« Reply #474 on: 22 March, 2016, 10:06:36 pm »

Thanks Plod.  I've just seen this after a happy half-hour of Google Streetview checking out the one way systems of Carmarthen and Brecon and working out why I always go wrong in Brecon and Fishguard (no signposts at key junctions to deter grockles, or whatever they are called in Wales, from finding windy B roads and keeping their emmett boxes on the main drag).

Hope the weather is good for you on the 1K.  I expect Im going to have rain from about an hour after sunrise, so will back a dry layer in the Nelson Longflap for the journey home.
Although do you mean 3b not 3a?
nam dan on fb