Author Topic: Bell's whisky  (Read 5169 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Bell's whisky
« Reply #25 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:18:26 am »
Drunken Salmon

120ml (4fl.oz) Scotch whisky
120ml (4fl.oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
4 tbsp soy sauce
5-6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg (21/4lb) salmon fillet, skin on

In a suitably-sized glass baking dish, whisk together whisky, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, salt and garlic. Place salmon fillet in marinade, skin-side up. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours.

Remove salmon from marinade, cover non-skin side with foil and place on barbeque or under (pre-heated to medium) grill, skin-side down. Cook for 10-13 minutes or until salmon just flakes with a fork. Be careful not to overcook.

Makes 8 servings.

It's a healthy recipe, which I find very useful for disposing of the not-very-good brands occasionally bought for me by people who know I love whisky.

Just checking, Bruce: you do mean a tablespoon full of pepper and another of salt? It seems like an awful lot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:41:34 am »
When I brewed my own beer I experimented with a number of different recipes. I found that, irrespective of alcohol content, a beer with rice as one of the ingredients led to a headache completely disproportionate to the amount drunk compared to beer without rice. That excludes the occasions when a brew simply "went wrong". I had a couple of those where the first few sips tasted fine, but even experienced drinkers began to feel ill part-way through the first pint, and couldn't finish it. I had to give it to people I didn't like.

This is why that foul muck Budweiser gets you straight from "sober" to "hungover" without the intermediate stage of "pissed".

Look, it was free, m'kay...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
The whole hangover thing is one of those confirmation bias areas. Generally you get a hangover because you drank too much alchohol, and its worse if you didnt drink much water. Its quantity that is the main driver in any booze you buy in the legal market in the UK.
People think its mixing drinks that gave them the hangover when it was basically drinking so many drinks that were able to mix them that made them ill.
People think it was the little whisky that made them ill when it was the huge meal and several glasses of wine that preceded it  - likewise port is famous for hangovers because nobody is ever sober when the drink port but already pissed. 
The more expensive the drink - the less one is likely to guzzle of it so as a result less is drunk overall and this creates the impression that expensive booze gives less hangover. In fact expensive booze is usually more highly flavoured with congeners, fusils, tannins, and essential oils from the wood  which are additional toxic elements. When you consider oak can cure leather and is naturally insecticidal one can see the point.  A bottle of 21 yr old oak aged scotch or Cognac is hugely dirty compared to a bottle of 3 yr old and will in fact give a worse headache and dodgy gut, because its experienced a high degree of concentration due to evaporation over the ageing process.

That depends on how experienced a drinker you are, and what else you've had that night.

I once hosted  a cocktail party - started early evening and went on until very late. About 90 people  came and went.

When I counted up the bottles the next day I found that on average, slightly over 1/2 a bottle of spirits had been drunk by each person there.  No hangovers reported.

I reckon it was due to the mix of spirits, juice (many many pineapples, oranges and lemons sacrificed themselves in the pursuit of a Good Time) and the quality of the spirits.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »
A humungous amount of vodka , gin and alcopops  is made from wheat distillate with flavours added. I can't recall the exact figures ,but I was shocked just how much.
Most of Scotland's wheat production  ends up either  in chickens or distilling plants.
Bells is well made but still a blend- cooking whisky.
 Most cheap whiskys make me sick as well, so I avoid the stuff.
Stick to island malts.

« Reply #29 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:08:07 pm »
Three nights in a row the only drink I had was a small Bell's. Each morning I had a headache. Not a massive thumping hangover, but enough to notice. I have never experienced that with A Bunadh, which has a much higher alcohol content.

Two pints of Tetleys does the same thing to me. Apart from the alcohol content there are definitely other things that make you feel bad in drinks. Tanin in red wine for example. Not sure what it is in Tetleys whatever it is its a shame as for a chemical beer its quite nice really, beats the hell out of John Smiths or the other non real ales you get round here.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:56:15 pm »
A few years ago I went to the FoE annual conference in Nottingham. The bar for the first two nights had Marston's Pedigree, which is OK - not may favourite ale but perfectly decent. The lat night we were down to Tetley's keg. I have never, ever, tasted a worse beer. I bought a pint and three hours later I left half of it and went to bed. It didn't make me ill, but the taste was just completely wrong.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #31 on: 12 April, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
A few years ago I went to the FoE annual conference in Nottingham. The bar for the first two nights had Marston's Pedigree, which is OK - not may favourite ale but perfectly decent.

For a better pint of Peddy you need to join me/us on the Pie Run.

However, I accept that it's a long way to come for a slightly better version of a beer that you wouldn't normally bother with.

Company's good, thobut.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #32 on: 12 April, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »
...and don't forget the pies  :)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #33 on: 12 April, 2013, 08:32:52 pm »
...and don't forget the pies  :)

Let's not :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #34 on: 25 April, 2013, 04:42:01 pm »
Drunken Salmon

120ml (4fl.oz) Scotch whisky
120ml (4fl.oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
4 tbsp soy sauce
5-6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg (21/4lb) salmon fillet, skin on

In a suitably-sized glass baking dish, whisk together whisky, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, salt and garlic. Place salmon fillet in marinade, skin-side up. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours.

Remove salmon from marinade, cover non-skin side with foil and place on barbeque or under (pre-heated to medium) grill, skin-side down. Cook for 10-13 minutes or until salmon just flakes with a fork. Be careful not to overcook.

Makes 8 servings.

It's a healthy recipe, which I find very useful for disposing of the not-very-good brands occasionally bought for me by people who know I love whisky.

Just checking, Bruce: you do mean a tablespoon full of pepper and another of salt? It seems like an awful lot.

Oh, teaspoons, definitely
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 25 April, 2013, 04:49:54 pm »
What's a 'hangover'? I've never had one, despite drinking Glaswegians under the table in my misspent 'youth'...

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #36 on: 25 April, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
What's a 'hangover'? I've never had one, despite drinking Glaswegians under the table in my misspent 'youth'...

I've never drunk a Glaswegian.  Maybe that is where I'm going wrong... I haz got hangover and the night is still young.

Lapin Kulta.  Finnish for "stoopid tourist".  Kippis!
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2013, 12:27:54 am »
- likewise port is famous for hangovers because nobody is ever sober when the drink port but already pissed. 

You know you're really quite wrong in that particular statement.  I have actual experiential anecdata that makes it an untruth ;)  Didn't get a hangover, mind.  Splendid evening it was.