Author Topic: [LEL17] Thanks for the two mars bars  (Read 2477 times)

[LEL17] Thanks for the two mars bars
« on: 06 August, 2017, 07:19:25 am »
After riding from scotch corner to Edinburgh and back to Brampton on day two there was no room at the inn or at Alston so Chris crossland found me some floor space in Brampton where I lay down for a few hours ( thanks Chris) there was a very large que for breakfast so I grabbed a banana and headed on , missed/could not see the Alston control so headed up Yad Moss having eaten the two bars and banana I had with me caught a guy on the climb who's wife he told me was helping at Barnard Castle, who saved my legs by giving me two mini mars bars out of his magic bar bag , many many thanks 👍👍👍its the little things that make Audax great

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Thanks for the two mars bars
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:18:14 am »
Do you know what nationality?  I know we had the wives of Q35 (UK) and J31 (USA) with us in BC, not sure of other people's partners rider numbers though.  If it isn't someone otp, they might be on the LEL 2017 fb group!

« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:00:23 am »
... , missed/could not see the Alston control ...

That's a shame, we put up big signs on the corner of the side road to the control - about half way up the cobbles (50m below the Market Square).

Monday night we were very busy with northbound riders. I suspect the bad weather over Yad Moss made many riders head  for the nearest bed rather than carry on. Despite this, we didn't turn anyone away. Tuesday night was a completely different. We were never more than half full. I think this was due to a combination of better weather so many southbound riders chose to carry on, and some riders were told that we were full so chose to stop at Brampton instead. Some chose to come to us on Wednesday morning for breakfast and were surprised at how quiet it was.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:25:42 am »
U.K. National with a magic bar bag with mars bars in it 😊
He would have arrived in Barnard Castle sometime after 8am on Tuesday morning.
I must have missed the signs in Alston due to be tired and trying to miss as many of those cobbles as possible by being on the pavement 🙄Certainly not the controls fault,  I hoped (I think I did) I thanked every control I left for there help you were all great everyone I meet could not do enough to help me .

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »
Do you know what nationality?  I know we had the wives of Q35 (UK) and J31 (USA) with us in BC, not sure of other people's partners rider numbers though.  If it isn't someone otp, they might be on the LEL 2017 fb group!

Don't have the numbers, but we also had Susan from Canada and Sylvia from Germany with husbands in the ride.  I ran out of fingers trying to work out how many countries were represented among our volunteers at BC, but it was at least eleven!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »
two mini mars bars out of his magic bar bag , many many thanks

You're very welcome  :)

For the record, my wife working at BC was Lesley.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:07:39 pm »
Ah ha!

Welcome to  YACF :)

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:52:45 am »
Great that you got the message , thanks again 😋